Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,838,544 times

Advertisements

Would two people who have vastly different incomes and educational backgrounds be as likely to make it as two people who are more equal in these areas?

For example, one person with a very high income, a college education, substantial financial assets, and a family that values hard work and education.

And another person with a high school education, much lower but decent income for a HS education, and a low class family that makes one poor financial decision after another and just doesn't get it.

In the past, I found that a relationship where the two people are not equaly yoked or close to it, in most of the above categories, constant arguments and problems would arise.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a bad idea to date people who are not at your level. An extreme example of this would be a Lawyer dating a 7-11 store clerk. I just don't see it working out long term. They are both at different levels, both in education, finances, work ethic and maturity.

Lust and attraction may bring them together and make it work short term, but once the fun wears off and the reality of the relatioship differences sets in, I just don't see it generally working.

Statistics show the older you are, the higher your education, the higher your income, the more likely your relationship is to last, and it makes sense. People who have low income, education, and are young, generally make poor decisions, while those who are older, more educated, and higher income earners, generally make better decisions.

When you are both professionals, you have a similary level of work ethic, drive and intelligence. But if one of you is a professional and the other is not, you can't generally bring the other person up, and the only way to make it work is to bring yourself down to their level...

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 08-10-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:58 PM

128 posts, read 201,887 times
I kinda do agree, but you never know, love is blind to color, money etc.
I always said to myself I wanted a woman w/ at least 4 year degree but things go other way.
attraction blind.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM

52,308 posts, read 52,764,750 times
I think in general if you're closer matched in those areas, things go smoother, generally speaking of course.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,670,201 times
"Love knows nothing of rank or riverbank! It will spark between a queen and a poor vagabond who plays the king, and their love should be minded by each, for love denied blights the very soul we owe to God!"

Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post
I kinda do agree, but you never know, love is blind to color, money etc.
I always said to myself I wanted a woman w/ at least 4 year degree but things go other way.
attraction blind.

Love, attraction, etc. may be blind, but IMO, it takes more than attraction and love to make a relationship work. If one person is slothful, doesn't care about a career or education, while the other one does and has both and is trying to build more, only to have the other person spend it all away or want to spend it all away or otherwise just not try to better themselves, it creates a lot of friction IMO.

I know I am SOOOOOO glad I did not stay with my ex or get hitched to her. I know I would have been divorced within a few years. Heck, our relationship didn't even make it 3 years before we broke up for good, and while I learned an important lesson, I fear I may not have fully learned it until now.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
In my experience, people who go around constantly believing that they are "above" others are some of the worst people on earth.

People who actually believe that will never be successful in relationship, whether it's with a store clerk OR an attorney, because they don't actually know what love is. Even if they got with someone who makes the same amount of money, they will not see long-term relationship success because they are SELF-centered.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In my experience, people who go around constantly believing that they are "above" others are some of the worst people on earth.

People who actually believe that will never be successful in relationship, whether it's with a store clerk OR an attorney, because they don't actually know what love is. Even if they got with someone who makes the same amount of money, they will not see long-term relationship success because they are SELF-centered.

So people who have achievements that you don't are bad people, and their relationships with people who are also educated and high income earners who are driven will NEVER work because they don't know what love is, only you do. Only those where they live in a trailer park and work at the gas station will, because love is all that is necessary to make a relationship work, and only those low income people know what love is. Got it, thank you for enlightenting us with your well thought out point of view. You've convinced me.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
I agree.

A store clerk who is working hard and saving money each month from their minimum wage salary in order to buy a house / start a business / go back to school / pay off medical bills should not settle for an attorney whose parents paid their way through school, got them a job through their connections, and gave them every advantage growing up.

Such a person will only drag the store clerk down.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I agree.

A store clerk who is working hard and saving money each month from their minimum wage salary in order to buy a house / start a business / go back to school / pay off medical bills should not settle for an attorney whose parents paid their way through school, got them a job through their connections, and gave them every advantage growing up.

Such a person will only drag the store clerk down.

Ahhh, ye olde straw man argument. Thank you for posting, but your argument is a logical fallacy merely designed to attack the more common scenario in the OP, and it doesn't hold water. The Harvard educated attorney who works for a big name firm, and belongs to an upper class family is not holding back the store clerk that is trying to make something of themselves, but nice try. Really good logic there.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
So people who have achievements that you don't are bad people, and their relationships with people who are also educated and high income earners who are driven will NEVER work because they don't know what love is, only you do. Only those where they live in a trailer park and work at the gas station will, because love is all that is necessary to make a relationship work, and only those low income people know what love is. Got it, thank you for enlightenting us with your well thought out point of view. You've convinced me.

You are some piece of work.

I am very familiar with you from other threads, Tac-Sea. You should notice that I never mentioned income or status in MY post.

You just outed yourself. Have you never known arrogant low-income people? Everyone thinks they're better than SOMEONE. Its called "leveling," and we all do it to buoy our self-worth when necessary, i.e. "I'm not rich but at least I'm not as bad as THAT guy."

YOU are the one with the problem. You only love yourself, and it's pathological. You need professional help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships