Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's kind of where we're at... I want to get out of Ca in a few yrs, if possible, and I do a lot of browsing online and say you punch in a price range of 80k to 120k you find fairly decent sized places, but if I open up the range to say 175k... things start looking really good, but unfortunately it seems like the houses are getting bigger. It's like I want the nicer amenities of the upper price ranges, but I don't want the damn size... it's seems like it's harder to find that.
Wow, my dad paid $465 K for a 4 bed 2.5 bath in NJ. Stuff like $170-$180 don't get you homes in CNJ. Closer to the beach, you pay $700 K.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I was not used to seeing houses priced under $ 350 K in NJ and long island, so these prices sound very odd for single family homes. I'm used to thinking that a decent family home costs at least $400K.

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
You guys definitely need a fairly large house with the 4 kids and the animals....

I like to peruse homes online and I'll see something that is say 2500 square feet with 5 beds and 3 baths...

I'm like Damn.... my first thoughts are who the hell wants to clean and manage all that house....

It's just the two of us here so obviously we don't need that much... but they talk about "McMansions" and those big suckers definitely are.

The thing I find is that as you go up in price the houses just seem to get bigger and bigger... I want to spend the same money and stick with something more manageable........1500 and maybe 3 beds.....

I guess you could just buy a smaller house and spend a bunch of money on upgrades... that seems like it would be a hassle though.
There are a few subdivisions in this area that are now starting to focus more on the finishing work than the square footage.

We do have our fair share of McMansions though. Every year they do a "Parade of Homes" and we try to go to see what is out there. There are a few massive homes in it this year...4000-8000sq ft. It is ridiculous.

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Wow, my dad paid $465 K for a 4 bed 2.5 bath in NJ. Stuff like $170-$180 don't get you homes in CNJ. Closer to the beach, you pay $650 K .
Yeah, I hear real estate is crazy in NJ. Just like out here... stupid money.

That's why I'm talking about 120k to 150k elsewhere, other parts of the country 150k can get you something pretty good.

We don't really have a need for much. I really want just a 2 bed and 2 bath with some kind of outdoor backyard area to have an outdoor living room type setup.

Beach front houses here are in the millions....even a small 50 yrs old shack on the beach will set you back 1.5m or more.

Ca is nice, but it ain't that f ing nice......

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
That's kind of where we're at... I want to get out of Ca in a few yrs, if possible, and I do a lot of browsing online and say you punch in a price range of 80k to 120k you find fairly decent sized places, but if I open up the range to say 175k... things start looking really good, but unfortunately it seems like the houses are getting bigger. It's like I want the nicer amenities of the upper price ranges, but I don't want the damn size... it's seems like it's harder to find that.
Buy land, build what you want. Easy fix.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM

The problem with buying land is that now you have to have all the utilities piped in and I hear that's a pain. Specially if the area isn't on the public sewer, now it's septic tanks and all of that hassles...

IDK... not sure which way to go.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:45 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
My next house is going to be a craftsman style cape cod in the mountains of NC. You only really see that style in downtown Raleigh in the pricier sections of the city. I'd move there too, especially if it was in walking distance to some decent restaurants and shops

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
My next house is going to be a craftsman style cape cod in the mountains of NC. You only really see that style in downtown Raleigh in the pricier sections of the city. I'd move there too, especially if it was in walking distance to some decent restaurants and shops
The housing trend now is getting away from the far out suburbs... coming more into the downtowns and a lot of areas are gentrifying.

Just for things you mentioned, walkability, proximity to dining, nightlife, etc etc.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Best thing about warm days is the eye candy .

Hopefully, my mood swings upwards and I can make friends with hot girls. I don't want to be a candidate for creepy stalker like the other day .

Adi.....I live in bar/pub town, believe me, I know what warm weather brings.

Quote:
New home construction, in my opinion, is junk on so many levels now, I don't think they're worth half of what they're priced at. Like you said, maybe find something small with a nice lot, and then upgrade it as you go.

Quote:
Wow, my dad paid $465 K for a 4 bed 2.5 bath in NJ. Stuff like $170-$180 don't get you homes in CNJ. Closer to the beach, you pay $650 K .

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

That's ridiculous. $464K will get you this just outside my city:

Moderator cut: copyrighted photo removed,please read the tos

1409381, 348 WEST BELLE RIVER , LAKESHORE, Ontario * N0R1A0

^^^ I should note, that I do not like the exterior of that house. lol

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2014 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
The housing trend now is getting away from the far out suburbs... coming more into the downtowns and a lot of areas are gentrifying.

Just for things you mentioned, walkability, proximity to dining, nightlife, etc etc.
But why are the prices in CNJ so blown up. Seriously, I live an hour west of NYC and prices are still in the $400 K range for decent homes. Near NYC, it costs twice as much. Same problem near LA too, I suppose. I see prices hitting 500K+ almost everywhere besides southeastern portions of the city.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
But why are the prices in CNJ so blown up. Seriously, I live an hour west of NYC and prices are still in the $400 K range for decent homes. Near NYC, it costs twice as much. Same problem near LA too, I suppose. I see prices hitting 500K+ almost everywhere besides southeastern portions of the city.
Here in So Cal... the area is "built out" meaning you have to go further and further inland to find homes. That basic supply and demand really comes into play here. There's a high demand and only so much housing available.

Like I said, unless you want to live further out but then your commute becomes a nightmare with traffic and all of the lost time sitting in traffic, cost of gas, etc, not to mention quality of life issues surrounding the longer commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships