Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 08:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You know your line of work much better than I......

I know in my industry, it's a weird industry, cause you can have guys with full on engineering degree's and have their PE's and have others that just have tech training and both with hard work can make it into management if they want.. but like I said, my industry is a little odd in that respect.. but yeah... if you need to do that just to be competitive than it is what it is....

I'm a bean counter. LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM

52,264 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
True, but robotics is something mostly offered at a Graduate level, hence my reason for going ahead with Grad school. Most jobs in that field prefer employees with a Masters Degree.
Again... it depends on the field and yes... I'm sure robotics is like that... I have an electronics background, so I get what you're saying...

But there are certain degrees that don't always pay off.... the MBA isn't as lucrative as it used to be and for the cost of it... it's something to think about...

Anyways.... maybe it's my technical background... but I have a serious technical view of things and one of them is a serious cost/benefits analysis........

Old 11-20-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I'm a bean counter. LOL
Jeezus... don't make me hate you... LOl... in my industry.....the bean counters rule the ****ing world and make so many technically incompetent decisions because on paper they can save some fraction of a savings meanwhile driving everyone nuts...

LOL.....

If you're simply an accountant that's fine... don't tell me you're a controller.... LOl.....

You know I'm joking, either way.....

Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Again... it depends on the field and yes... I'm sure robotics is like that... I have an electronics background, so I get what you're saying...

But there are certain degrees that don't always pay off.... the MBA isn't as lucrative as it used to be and for the cost of it... it's something to think about...

Anyways.... maybe it's my technical background... but I have a serious technical view of things and one of them is a serious cost/benefits analysis........
If I had gone right after undergrad, I probably would have gone the MBA route. It seems like a pretty generic degree (no offense to anyone!) and I'm glad I didn't waste money on one. While I have no desire to ever practice as a CPA, I really need to at least get the required hours to be eligible to sit for it, if I so choose. I am back in the corporate world (woo hoo!) and if I ever want to move up, I think it (the graduate degree) will be necessary. However, my company offers tuition reimbursement and I hope to work here for a long time. Like I said, it's taken me long enough to get here, but I finally feel like I may be in a good place. Of course, now that I've said that...

Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Jeezus... don't make me hate you... LOl... in my industry.....the bean counters rule the ****ing world and make so many technically incompetent decisions because on paper they can save some fraction of a savings meanwhile driving everyone nuts...

LOL.....

If you're simply an accountant that's fine... don't tell me you're a controller.... LOl.....

You know I'm joking, either way.....
No, I'm just a peon accountant.

However, please keep in mind that much of the crap the accountants bug you about isn't just because they enjoy making your life difficult. LOL There are so many more rules, regulations and reporting requirements these days. I joined the working world after Sarbanes-Oxley, so this is all I've really known. I can't imagine how much simpler things must have been back when companies could basically do whatever they wanted. LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:

I'm into more of the Technical stuff for now, but eventually want to become a product manager instead of just a designer. I mean, coming up with innovative and cost competitive designs is interesting, but over time things will be even more fun if one could move up and eventually observe the markets where a particular product has the potential to garner popularity.

Market Research can get tricky, and while an MBA might not be required, taking advice from someone who understands how the market for your particular sector works is very much required.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I'm into more of the Technical stuff for now, but eventually want to become a product manager instead of just a designer. I mean, coming up with innovative and cost competitive designs is interesting, but over time things will be even more fun if one could move up and eventually observe the markets where a particular product has the potential to garner popularity.

Market Research can get tricky, and while an MBA might not be required, taking advice from someone who understands how the market for your particular sector works is very much required.

Ugh, getting too formal here, the end result of growing up with an MBA father .
Well... Adi... you won't appreciate what I'm saying till you get a few yrs into your career, but there is a clear line between management and the technical ranks... and once you make that crossover to management there is a whole differing set of rules and how things go... I'm sure you get what I'm saying in a general sense, but you won't til you get there in a few yrs...... it's common thing in many industries.... you start out liking the tech details and you move up into management and spend half your days answering to the corporate weenies about some process or an other and why the reports don't look right....

It sucks the life out of any techie type and hence why I'm warning you... of course you make better money but your life can suck eggs at that point.....

I'm giving you the real world stuff here... not the shyt you read about in college... college and corporate America are divergent and never the two shall meet.....

Old 11-20-2014, 08:50 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Well... Adi... you won't appreciate what I'm saying till you get a few yrs into your career, but there is a clear line between management and the technical ranks... and once you make that crossover to management there is a whole differing set of rules and how things go... I'm sure you get what I'm saying in a general sense, but you won't til you get there in a few yrs...... it's common thing in many industries.... you start out liking the tech details and you move up into management and spend half your days answering to the corporate weenies about some process or an other and why the reports don't look right....

It sucks the life out of any techie type and hence why I'm warning you... of course you make better money but your life can suck eggs at that point.....

I'm giving you the real world stuff here... not the shyt you read about in college... college and corporate America are divergent and never the two shall meet.....
Thanks for the input, and I know what you are talking about. My dad for sure makes more after his management degree, but his daily job is kinda similar to what you described after shifting over. TBH, I'll avoid too much future planning and just focus on Research + entry level job for the time being.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:56 PM

I remember in college taking a trig class and yes... I took it in college instead of HS... but that being said... I remember this teacher, he was some Indian dude that worked at Rockwell or Northrop... two huge aerospace contractors back in the day, anyways... he was actually giving us practical uses of trig by explaining to use how satellites use the same calcs we were learning to pin point locations down to a square foot anywhere on the planet.

That made it cool.. to see real world applications, as apposed to two trains leave a stations each going the opposite direction......... calc the time it takes to get to xyz... or whatever the hell the problem was........ you remember those problems... LOL....

Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
I remember in college taking a trig class and yes... I took it in college instead of HS... but that being said... I remember this teacher, he was some Indian dude that worked at Rockwell or Northrop... two huge aerospace contractors back in the day, anyways... he was actually giving us practical uses of trig by explaining to use how satellites use the same calcs we were learning to pin point locations down to a square foot anywhere on the planet.

That made it cool.. to see real world applications, as apposed to two trains leave a stations each going the opposite direction......... calc the time it takes to get to xyz... or whatever the hell the problem was........ you remember those problems... LOL....
That was always my biggest hangup. I'm all for learning. Now how does it work and what's the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.