Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipe out View Post
ugh. You don't need to be married to talk about marriage.
Of course not. Just like you don't need to be a race car driver to drive a car.

HOWEVER, if you have never driven a race car it would be foolish of you to even attempt to give folks Jeff Gordon or Mario Andretti any advice on the subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Umm...

*runs and hides in shame.

The cynic in me is disappointed in this list. But I'm okay with what I've read.

"Cuz I'm in luv"

...But it's unrequited so I am going to get my heart broken. Got to learn somehow.
Sorry my friend

The one who WILL return your affections is out there, just keep on being the awesome guy you are and she'll find you

Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM

364 posts, read 371,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Of course not. Just like you don't need to be a race car driver to drive a car.

HOWEVER, if you have never driven a race car it would be foolish of you to even attempt to give folks Jeff Gordon or Mario Andretti any advice on the subject
A retarded analogy. Marriage is no escape from the sexual market place and attraction dynamics. Period.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I found this article and can say all most all of it is true for me . I do think thta people that get married at 18 or to someone they just meet like under a year is crazy to me . I do not know why marriage get looked down on .

Anyway what is your take on the list?

1. Marriage allows me to show my love in a way that nothing else can.

2. Marriage provides a stable environment for kids.

3. Because of marriage, the woman I love can become my family.

4.Marriage is a money saver.

5. It allows me to fully commit myself to one person.

6. Life is easier when you have a partner by your side.

7. The thought of loving someone forever makes me happy.

8. I don't want to lose the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

9. I believe traditions are important.

10. I would do anything for the woman I love, including marry her.

11. I'm excited to create an awesome family to make up for the one I never had.

12. I want to spend my life with my BFF by my side.
13. I love the idea of committing to someone who accepts me for who I am.
14. Marriage simply makes logical sense.

15. Life is so much better with a spouse.

15 Truthful Reasons Men Want To Get Married
This is what I would desire in a husband

Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

A chess grandmaster in his early 20s is thinking about going pro. This means traveling for 200 days/year and living out of a suitcase. Can this be done while married (without abject risk of divorce)?

Well that accounts for about 100 out of 5 billion people. Nicely done. And early 20s they shouldn't marry anyway.

Quote:
Expeditionary-type of jobs were typically done by unmarried men. An example is the military. It was broadly expected that a man would serve out his military career unmarried, and that his marriage would be preceded by retirement. In fact the whole point of retiring was to "settle down" and to get married. Today it's the reverse, at least in the modern American military, where it seems that marriage is essential for an officer's career-advancement.
Because they were exceedingly dangerous and they'd be gone more often than not. Often posted overseas for years without returning home. No longer the case One of the many benefits of marriage is that men take less physical risks when married.

Quote:
I won't argue causality vs. correlation, but consider this: How many high-ranking military officers are unmarried? How many corporate CEOs are unmarried? How many state-level or national-level politicians are unmarried? For positions of high visibility and influence, for positions of leadership, it's expected that the incumbent first "lead" a family, before leading an organization. If you're an Lt Col trying to make 0-6, being unmarried counts as a detriment, if only unofficially. If you're a VP vying for the top-job, being unmarried counts as a detriment. The more senior the position, the more socially expected it is to be married.
It isn't the being married, it is being a team. I worked with and for many C level execs of large, rich, orgs. Socializing (especially in the development area) is part of the job, as is entertaining. You're more successful with two people sharing that job.

That is a minority of people. A very small amount.

And I doubt many, if any, that are happily married chose that marriage for their career aspirations or their biography.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well that accounts for about 100 out of 5 billion people. Nicely done. And early 20s they shouldn't marry anyway.

Because they were exceedingly dangerous and they'd be gone more often than not. Often posted overseas for years without returning home. No longer the case One of the many benefits of marriage is that men take less physical risks when married.

It isn't the being married, it is being a team. I worked with and for many C level execs of large, rich, orgs. Socializing (especially in the development area) is part of the job, as is entertaining. You're more successful with two people sharing that job.

That is a minority of people. A very small amount.

And I doubt many, if any, that are happily married chose that marriage for their career aspirations or their biography.
Nicely said.

The reality is, some folks are just not good relationship/marriage material.

The important thing is to be happy with your own personal choices when it comes to the way you choose to live your life.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wipe out View Post
A ***** analogy. Marriage is no escape from the sexual market place and attraction dynamics. Period.
That's a very offensive term, I kindly ask you to edit your remarks

Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 PM

316 posts, read 437,460 times
Marriage is the dumbest thing a man can ever do with his life in America. The no-fault divorce laws, bigoted family court systems, and divorce "industry" concocted by the tens of thousands of scum ball lawyers in this God-forsaken dying nation have destroyed the institution of marriage forever. A mature, adult male in this country, today, has to be a complete idiot to think it a good idea to get married. Period. End of story.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
If the marriage has a strong foundation, marriage is all of those things and more.

I've seen plenty of good marriages and plenty of bad marriages. At least I know what a good one looks like.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
If the marriage has a strong foundation, marriage is all of those things and more.

I've seen plenty of good marriages and plenty of bad marriages. At least I know what a good one looks like.
Well said, good for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships