Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:50 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Well, I've never seen anything like rape happen in person, but I read the police report weekly and apparently too many women have a problem when they leave drinking and entertainment establishments at 3-4am (along with passing out at college dorms, etc). There is always a story of how men harass and attempt to steal from women at such times.

If women want to drink and dance and go home early in the morning, they should definitely should definitely travel in relatively large numbers.
My advice for women partying well into the night would be to have a trusted male accomplice by your side.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
My advice for women partying well into the night would be to have a trusted male accomplice by your side.
I'd agree with you on that, yet too often said male accomplice parties too and every once in a while they turn out to be a rapist themselves.

Police reports from a community that has a bunch of late-night bars aren't full of happy stories.

Trust me, I've been reading them for years.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Well, I've never seen anything like rape happen in person, but I read the police report weekly and apparently too many women have a problem when they leave drinking and entertainment establishments at 3-4am (along with passing out at college dorms, etc). There is always a story of how men harass and attempt to steal from women at such times.

If women want to drink and dance and go home early in the morning, they should definitely should definitely travel in relatively large numbers.
And men should stop raping them.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And men should stop raping them.
They should, but we do not live in a society where they will stop, especially if there is alcohol involved.

...From my point of view, if enough women started defending themselves and reporting such CRIME, we could see your goal realized. But until that happens I wouldn't trust those drunks.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM

226 posts, read 320,038 times
What, are you guys talking about actually stopping an assault or rape now instead of what you do to prevent you from raping someone?

Well then you should have asked. I've been there and done that a few times. The guy who got hurt the most was back in about '98 with my sister. We were at a bar together. She had a bit too much to drink and needed to use the girls room. On her way up there this dude started groping her and wouldn't get his hands off. I was talking to some friends but heard her yell for me.

I walked up to the guy and without saying a word grabbed him by his throat and slammed him up against the wall. I then cross barred my forearm across his neck and choked him until his face turned red then back white again.

That SOB never did that again I bet......

I knew the bouncer and he said he didn't see ANYTHING!!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
Quote:
...From my point of view, if enough women started defending themselves and reporting such CRIME, we could see your goal realized. But until that happens I wouldn't trust those drunks.
Under the current system, police departments are rewarded for refusing to accept such reports, and punished for attempting to investigate or convict. (Don't trust me -- check out the report by the Police Executive Research Forum.)

A good place to start would be fixing that.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:58 PM

226 posts, read 320,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Under the current system, police departments are rewarded for refusing to accept such reports, and punished for attempting to investigate or convict. (Don't trust me -- check out the report by the Police Executive Research Forum.)

Maybe where you live. Around here the guy is lucky if he just gets his ass beat and not wasted for his trouble. Women are armed and will use it without much thought.

No need for a sob story, the perp is dead!!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,482 times
I worked part-time as a volunteer in a Rape Crisis Center and created administrative meetings for the directors to meet with persons in official capacities in the community. I was given a broad education on language (rule of thumb and ma'am) and the autonomy of the individual. I walked in a number of protest meetings in NJ and CA. I wear a number of shirts calling forward attitudes and actions that are despicable. I have completed multiple evaluations for persons in my professional pursuits - a number of persons with diverse disorders were also victims of rape and molestation and I was able to quickly and efficiently identify them. I have empowered a number to seek help from longer-term resources, including the local rape crisis centers and women's health organizations. I have seen this happen to women, men, and little children, after the fact and after a discussion. For many, being able to discuss this topic is cathartic and brings them to another level for seeking help for themselves. I speak out regularly about misogyny and sex roles. I call rape for what it is, every time; let the courts call it otherwise, but I will call it rape - one is an individual standard and the other passes a legal standard. And rape crisis centers offer services after the court cases have been completed, whether the perpetrator is guilty or released. Many women are disempowered by ignorance and ongoing victimization and a lot of men put themselves in other men's place by thinking they would do the same, to the freedom of the real criminals. Sex is a secondary gain for a person engaged in a power trip like rape. Rape is an act of violence and it is taking something of another's by force, every time. There is trust, innocence, safety, and the reverberations felt through families, friends, and across generations. I have had older women talk about their violations like they occurred yesterday. Chilling details, each and every time. It takes a lot of trust for people to talk, but people will talk when they can trust another and that person shows integrity and respect.

I believe it is a woman's right to say no each and every time. When I am in synch with a partner, I may pursue but she will stop long before we get there. There is everything right about doing everything else until she is ready, and time may be an element if a dry spell goes on for a week, but waiting a few days is worth it. Equality in a relationship means both people can say yes and both can say no, and when the time is right, both can make each other deliriously happy. There is freedom, liberty, and reciprocity in a superior intimate relationship. With sexual assault/rape, there is violence. The easiest way for a guy to understand is to ask if someone could 'sheath' a dull knife is a dark, vulnerable spot on their body or to imagine an intrusion from a baseball bat. Once they get that, they understand the difference between volition and acceptance, violence and coercion.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:

BS. That report said no such things.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Damn, I learn something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships