Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,002,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
BS. That report said no such things.
The terminology may be a little difficult to understand, for some people.

The report says:

Quote:
improper unfound-ing of sexual assault cases remains a serious
issue in many cities...
You need to know that, when an accusation of rape is founded in reality but a police officer pretends it is not, this is called 'unfounding'.

The motivation for this is money. If high numbers of rapes are deliberately mislabeled, then the violent crime statistics for the city appear to go down, and the police can claim that they are doing a better job at crime prevention than they are.

This has been documented in many major US cities, as you will see if you look up the reports.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
The terminology may be a little difficult to understand, for some people.

The report says:

You need to know that, when an accusation of rape is founded in reality but a police officer pretends it is not, this is called 'unfounding'.
Condescending much?

"Pretend" is your word, not the report's word.

The report briefly touched on the reasons why these cases were marked "unfounded" -- detective case load, accuser recanted, patrol acting as judge and jury, etc.
but NOWHERE does it say that PD's are REWARDED or PUNISHED based on those classifications.

I've no doubt that crimes are being mislabeled for these reasons by some municipal PDs but you have singled out sexual assaults as though it's the only crime that gets this treatment.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,002,401 times
Jaypee, your bias is showing, and you are misinterpreting the situation. Go google the other reports.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,209,048 times
what do i do to prevent rape? Not have sex unless she's my girlfriend.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Jaypee, your bias is showing, and you are misinterpreting the situation. Go google the other reports.

You're the one referencing this report, so does this report support your claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones
Under the current system, police departments are rewarded for refusing to accept such reports, and punished for attempting to investigate or convict. (Don't trust me -- check out the report by the Police Executive Research Forum.).

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
what do i do to prevent rape? Not have sex unless she's my girlfriend.

Your relationship status with the other person does not determine whether rape can occur.
A wife/husband can be raped by their spouse (marital rape).

Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,235,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Your relationship status with the other person does not determine whether rape can occur.
A wife/husband can be raped by their spouse (marital rape).

Yes,

a disturbingly high amount of men on another forum think it's okay to demand sex from a significant other...

Old 09-15-2014, 12:54 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,074,139 times
NillaJones, I'm not sure what your point is here. The vast majority of men would never rape someone. Some of your posts seem to imply malice toward all males because some of us have committed a horrible crime. Perhaps I misunderstand the tone of your post.

Having said that, I do have a story. Last year, I was riding the light rail in San Jose, and there was this psychotic/drunk guy there. The way the light rail units are laid out is that there is a raised platform with some seats, then a level platform with empty floor space where the doors are, then more seats. A picture might help: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_interior.jpg

Anyway, so I'm sitting on the upper platform and the psychotic/drunk guy is on the lower part. He tried to take a woman's purse, she pulled it away before he could, and he said "I'm sorry I didn't know". An army veteran sitting across from the woman -- I knew he had been in the Army because I had overheard him saying so in the past -- glared at the psycho/drunk guy. But a couple stops later, the Army guy got off the train. The psycho guy changed seats, to sit behind another woman. He stroked her shoulder with his finger. She turned around and glared at him. He leaned back in his seat. The woman got off the train at the next stop. Then another woman near him starts to leave, and he tries to follow her, but she runs off the train before he can get close, and he doesn't follow.

Finally, the only three people on this unit in the train are myself, a woman, and the psycho guy. The psycho guy starts speaking nonsense to the woman, saying that she can't leave the train. She gets up as we approach the next stop, and he moves closer to her. This time she wouldn't have a chance to run, as the train is not stopped, so I stood behind him and put my hand on his shoulder and told him "that's close enough". My other hand was up in the configuration we were taught in Taekwondo when I did it in high school (like a boxer's stance). He turns around and glares at me, but then sits down. The train stops and the doors open. The woman runs out, and the psycho runs after her, following her onto the street. I run out as well, past the psycho, so I am between him and the woman. She stands behind me, and he resumes his psychotic behavior, screaming that "if you don't get out of my way, I'm going after both of you!". So I assume the Taekwondo stance (boxer stance), ready to use martial arts for the first time since using it against bullies in high school. Luckily, I didn't have to; he flailed his arms a bit, took a couple steps closer, then decided to go back in the light rail train.

Myself and the woman explained what was going on to the light rail train operator, and he closed the doors of the train so the guy couldn't get out. He said he had already called the sheriff, who was on the way to arrest the man. The woman said to me "thank you so much, that was really scary". I didn't know what to say ("it was nothing" or something like that didn't occur to me) so I didn't really say anything. She turned around and walked to the other side of the train from me. When the train left, she was gone.

That's my story.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,160,791 times
I remember in high school at the dance, I saw a guy forcing himself on a woman in his car and she saw me walk by and said "help me!" I remember the guy said "you better beat it if you know whats good for you." I was really scared but I pulled him out of the car and said "you better leave her alone, Biff." He was way bigger than me and got out and sized me up and said "or else what" then I decked him and knocked him out in one punch. She was so impressed she went into the dance and danced with me while my son, a time traveler from the future, sang Johnny B Goode on stage, which hadn't been released yet.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:40 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
There was an interesting piece on NPR a few weeks ago about the power of peer influence in preventing sexual assaults: The Power Of The Peer Group In Preventing Campus Rape : Shots - Health News : NPR

Quote:
"Most of these men have an image or a myth about rape, that it's some guy in a ski mask wielding a knife," says Lisak. "They don't wear ski masks, they don't wield knives, so they don't see themselves as rapists."

In fact, they'd brag about what they had done afterwards to their friends. That implied endorsement from male friends — or at the very least, a lack of vocal objection — is a powerful force, perpetuating the idea that what these guys are doing is normal rather than criminal.
So if a guy's friends are vocal about saying, "hey man, not cool," rather than being afraid of cockblocking him, then that goes a long way in changing attitudes and behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.