Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times

Advertisements

Lol, I'm fighting my own depression over my dad, we don't need to add another to the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
No. I have my own issues to worry about. I don't need another burden.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Honey, I hear you - but you still implied that people with mental health issues are not good people, and that is not true. This is the only thing we were trying to correct.
ok. Then we are on the same side.

I used to drive my ex to get his methadone at the doctors office every day. Tons of other super nice addicts there. Just not datable.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
I was married to a person for many years who suffered from anxiety. It began after about 4 years of marriage and 2 children. It was not slightly anxious, but was a psychotic type anxiety which consumed his life. I would never go through it again. Tendencies are so often inherited and no, I wouldn't date anyone who was mentally ill. When something has a grip on one's mind it's so very difficult to treat. He had a series of electric shock treatments which helped some. I was told he might get better, but it would never really go away and that's how it was. Improvement for years, then back to the pits of despair of being anxious. His eyes notified me of the return.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I understand why you wouldn't want any "projects", but like I said, many wonderful and successful people struggle with mental health issues.

But maybe you don't think President Abraham Lincoln, football hall of famer Terry Bradshaw or astronaut Buzz Aldrin are "good guys"?

These 12 Incredibly Successful People Will Change The Way You Think About Depression

How many times has Bradshaw been married? Lincoln's wife was worse than he was.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Not all mental problems are deal breakers. Actually, I think all people are a little nuts, and you find this out once you get to know them. My wife is kind of OCD. I'd have no problem with someone who fights depression or neurosis at times. But someone who has to stay on meds, or they go absolutely bad sh++ crazy, no. Bipolar, Schizophrenic, Psychotic, Narcissistic, Borderline Personality Disorder would all make me run in the opposite direction.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:42 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
I dated a guy with severe depression and it was so hard sometimes. He literally couldn't function without his meds. I loved him and a part of me still does, but I can not and will not EVER date anyone with any kind of mental illness. Nothing wrong with people who do have mental illnesses, but I realized its something that I cannot handle on a day to day basis.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times
Many persons have sub-threshold disorders; others get through the dating period and experience psychological illness. There is no set/right time. Being with some persons allows an interpersonal chemistry, figuratively speaking, that sets them off. You then ask someone to unlove another who has been in a relationship.

As a treating professional, you don't work with loved ones - it's the worst kind of relationship, especially when your partner doesn't fulfill the professional's expectations. Some people's bat-doo-doo-crazy is another persons icing on the cake. There are many adaptive aspects of mental disorders - the person with OCD typically has the cleanest house; persons with bipolar disorder can be amazingly insightful; individuals touched with psychosis can be quite creative as they think outside the box; depressed persons can be rather philosophical; anxious persons can be good planners. Conversely, good undercover detectives can be culled using tests that pull for anti-social tendencies. Flamboyance works really good in the theater and it is often found in other cluster B diagnoses. There's more than a few men who say they would really appreciate a dependent wife. I would fly any airline who's mechanic has OCPD. Some schizoid persons can make good security guards.

Casting aspersions and judgment at persons with mental disorders really doesn't speak well for persons who are allegedly healthy. Remember, when one finger is pointed to separate another out, there are three pointed inwards. Be wary of those who present themselves as healthy. Be very afraid. Normal is a broad range, 98%. Live happily.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 09-17-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 PM

122 posts, read 159,492 times
Might be inherent if they date me in the first place.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Abraham Lincoln
The revered sixteenth President of the United States suffered from severe and incapacitating depressions that occasionally led to thoughts of suicide, as documented in numerous biographies by Carl Sandburg.

Virginia Woolf
The British novelist who wrote To the Lighthouse and Orlando experienced the mood swings of bipolar disorder characterized by feverish periods of writing and weeks immersed in gloom. Her story is discussed in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr.

Lionel Aldridge
A defensive end for Vince Lombardi's legendary Green Bay Packers of the 1960's, Aldridge played in two Super Bowls. In the 1970's, he suffered from schizophrenia and was homeless for two and a half years. Until his death in 1998, he gave inspirational talks on his battle against paranoid schizophrenia. His story is the story of numerous newspaper articles.

Eugene O'Neill
The famous playwright, author of Long Day's Journey Into Night and Ah, Wilderness!, suffered from clinical depression, as documented in Eugene O'Neill by Olivia E. Coolidge.

Ludwig van Beethoven
The brilliant composer experienced bipolar disorder, as documented in The Key to Genius: Manic Depression and the Creative Life by D. Jablow Hershman and Julian Lieb.

Gaetano Donizetti
The famous opera singer suffered from bipolar disorder, as documented in Donizetti and the World Opera in Italy, Paris and Vienna in the First Half of the Nineteenth Century by Herbert Weinstock.

Robert Schumann
The "inspired poet of human suffering" experienced bipolar disorder, as discussed in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr.

Leo Tolstoy
Author of War and Peace, Tolstoy revealed the extent of his own mental illness in the memoir Confession. His experiences is also discussed in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr and The Inner World of Mental Illness: A Series of First Person Accounts of What It Was Like by Bert Kaplan.

Vaslov Nijinsky
The dancer's battle with schizophrenia is documented in his autobiography, The Diary of Vaslov Nijinksy.

John Keats
The renowned poet's mental illness is documented in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr and The Broken Brain: The biological Revolution in Psychiatry by Nancy Andreasen, M.D.

Tennessee Williams
The playwright gave a personal account of his struggle with clinical depression in his own Memoirs. His experience is also documented in Five O'Clock Angel: Letters of Tennessee Williams to Maria St. Just, 1948-1982; The Kindness of Strangers: The Life of Tennessee Williams by Donald Spoto, and Tennessee: Cry of the Heart by Dotson.

Vincent Van Gogh
The celebrated artist's bipolar disorder is discussed in The Key to Genius: Manic Depression and the Creative Life by D. Jablow Hershman and Julian Lieb and Dear Theo, The Autobiography of Van Gogh.

Isaac Newton
The scientist's mental illness is discussed in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr and The Key to Genius: Manic Depression and the Creative Life by D. Jablow Hershman and Julian Lieb.

Ernest Hemingway
The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist's suicidal depression is examined in the True Gen: An Intimate Portrait of Ernest Hemingway by Those Who Knew Him by Denis Brian.

Sylvia Plath
The poet and novelist ended her lifelong struggle with clinical depresion by taking own life, as reported in A Closer Look at Ariel: A Memory of Sylvia Plath by nancy Hunter-Steiner.

Michelangelo
The mental illness of one of the world's greatest artistic geniuses is discussed in The Dynamics of Creation by Anthony Storr.

Winston Churchill
"Had he been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgment might well have concluded that we were finished," wrote Anthony Storr about Churchill's bipolar disorder in Churchill's Black Dog, Kafka's Mice, and Other Phenomena of the Human Mind.

Vivien Leigh
The Gone with the Wind star suffered from mental illness, as documented in Vivien Leigh: A Biography by Ann Edwards.

Jimmy Piersall
The baseball player for the Boston Red Sox who suffered from bipolar disorder detailed his experience in The Truth Hurts.

Patty Duke
The Academy Award-winning actress told of her bipolar disorder in her autobiography and made-for-TV move Call Me Anna and A Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic-Depressive Illness, co-authored by Gloria Hochman.

Charles Dickens
One of the greatest authors in the English language suffered from clinical depression, as documented in The Key to Genius: Manic Depression and the Creative Life by D. Jablow Hershman and Julian Lieb, and Charles Dickens: His Tragedy and Triumph by Edgar Johnson.

Where would we be without these "nut jobs", I wonder???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships