Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM

64 posts, read 95,915 times

Advertisements

Nope. Life is hard enough. Why would I make life harder for myself by dating someone who is mentally ill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 4,882,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If someone had some form of mental illness, such as BDD, social anxiety, depression, GAD, or bipolar, would you still date them?
I don't know if she had a mental illness per se, but she was certainly "off".

A long time ago I had a fling with this girl who had a temper and would make really violent threats when someone would anger her. Like let's say she heard another girl was spreading rumors about her should say, "If that c--t wants to f--k with me, I will carve out her f--king tongue out through her f--king throat. That'll teach the stupid b---h to keep her f--king mouth shut". I don't know for certain, but I heard a few times that her father was involved in, um, "freelance short-term finance" and that's where she got it from. I don't know if that was true or just a joke, but it would explain her behavior and I'm just glad I never met Daddy.

In case you are wondering why I had anything to do with her. She took a liking to me for some reason. Also, she was a gymnast, so she had her redeeming qualities...

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,285,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yeah, so?? Doesn't mean they are datable!!!

My last bf was very smart but he heard voices and was convinced that the FBI is watching him. He accused me of cheating because I cheated on him in his dreams. And dreams - of course - always relate to reality, so it must be true. And he was able to walk around in a bubble so nobody can see him. yeah, no more crazy people for me!!!

You said you wanted a "good guy". Just because someone isn't "dateable" doesn't make them a bad a person. And you're generalizing "crazy people" based on one guy? Everyones illness isn't mutually exclusive. Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying you have to date someone with a mental illness LOL...I did too when I was younger. We're saying that not all people who have a mental illness are bad people.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,204,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
If someone had some form of mental illness, such as BDD, social anxiety, depression, GAD, or bipolar, would you still date them?
I can deal with social anxiety. I don't consider it to be a deal breaker. To me, a deal breaker is any of the following illnesses: depression, bipolar disorder, histrionic disorder, people who are delusional, and any of the severe ones.

I've dated a woman in the past who was bipolar. It was one of the shortest relationships I have ever been in. After the third irrational outburst toward me in less than a week of being "official," I told her what she could go do with herself and never looked back.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,299,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I can deal with social anxiety. I don't consider it to be a deal breaker. To me, a deal breaker is any of the following illnesses: depression, bipolar disorder, histrionic disorder, people who are delusional, and any of the severe ones.

I've dated a woman in the past who was bipolar. It was one of the shortest relationships I have ever been in. After the third irrational outburst toward me in less than a week of being "official," I told her what she could go do with herself and never looked back.

Just curious....why depression?

It can range from mild to severe. Also, some people suffer from situational depression - which is less of a mental illness and more of a reaction to life's events.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,215,739 times
There's so many people walking around w/ some level of mental illness....
Sometimes I think normal people are boring, or even less creative.
For instance- who wouldn't want to date a few of these amazing men----
(all who have or had mental illness)

A few of these people aren't here anymore...

But when they were- they were very dateable.

Robin Williams
Leonardo DiCaprio
Jim Carey
Mel Gibson
Justin Timberlake
Kurt Cobain
Woody Allen
Alec Baldwin
Howie Mandel

Last edited by believe007; 09-18-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,151,157 times
Its pretty rare to find a creative / artistic person, a talented one, that doesn't have or didn't have some mental illnesses. It's part of the same brain, it seems.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,215,739 times
^^^^^I know.....I have mad respect for the creative
types that also privately deal w/ their inner demons....

Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,179,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
There's so many people walking around w/ some level of mental illness....
Sometimes I think normal people are boring, or even less creative.
For instance- who wouldn't want to date a few of these amazing men----
(all who have or had mental illness)

A few of these people aren't here anymore...

But when they were- they were very dateable.

Robin Williams
Leonardo DiCaprio
Jim Carey
Mel Gibson
Justin Timberlake
Kurt Cobain
Woody Allen
Alec Baldwin
Howie Mandel
You do know some of these people committed suicide right? And one of them is a child molester who married his adopted daughter. Not really making a compelling argument here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships