Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,611,300 times

Advertisements

I was always attracted to the less popular girls, the ones who were slightly geeky, but still fairly cool. The girls who liked video games instead of Seventeen magazine. I preferred the awkward geeky brunette with glasses, frizzy hair, and not much makeup to the over-made up, "popular" or supermodel type girl. The one who was cute but either didn't care or didn't realize it, but at the same time still had a fairly good self-esteem. I also didn't mind if they talked a lot, as long as they were talking about things I found interesting. The "gossipy" type was a turnoff.

Come to think of it, I still prefer that type. There's one sitting in my living room right now. Except the frizzy hair part.

Last edited by SuperDave72; 09-18-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,100,859 times
I think your observations mirror my original attractions and crushes. I never had much interest in the girls I considered loud or obnoxious. There was something cute, and attractive about the girls who were quieter and went about their business. I am not sure it was so much about being shy, or not talking much. Maybe it was more about being self confident and secure in themselves (which I know I did not connect at the time).

For appearance, definitely hair and face had to be attractive at that age range. Far more than things like their boobs. (That came later, more into high school, sounds like your kids are more middle school range).

I know my daughter already seems to have some added interest in boys at just 5 and a half. She has a friend, Max, who the last time we saw him she couldn't keep her hands off of him! Hugging, hands on shoulders! Oh dear, the teen years will be ROUGH!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,451,390 times
I know the cliche says that boys find girls disgusting until they enter puberty and magially discover the opposite sex, but thats not how I remember it. I clearly remember being into girls at the age of 5.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,884,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I was always attracted to the less popular girls, the ones who were slightly geeky, but still fairly cool. The girls who liked video games instead of Seventeen magazine. I preferred the awkward geeky brunette with glasses, frizzy hair, and not much makeup to the over-made up, "popular" or supermodel type girl. The one who was cute but either didn't care or didn't realize it, but at the same time still had a fairly good self-esteem. I also didn't mind if they talked a lot, as long as they were talking about things I found interesting. The "gossipy" type was a turnoff.

Come to think of it, I still prefer that type. There's one sitting in my living room right now. Except the frizzy hair part.
I was surprised the OP's crowd said they preferred girls who didn't talk much. I thought it tends to be the outgoing ones, the bubbly ones or the ones with a lot of cool stuff to talk about that are attractive.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,884,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
I know the cliche says that boys find girls disgusting until they enter puberty and magially discover the opposite sex, but thats not how I remember it. I clearly remember being into girls at the age of 5.
I remember that in kindergarten and first grade, definitely.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,823,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post

Hah, minus the liking video games and having frizzy hair, that was (and is) me.

Worked out fine for me in both high school and adulthood.

I definitely buy that most teen boys are primarily interested in the attributes listed (the "doesn't talk much" makes me sad, though, I don't like the idea that girls should shut up and be pretty). I definitely wasn't interested in the average teen boy when I was a teen girl, for those exact reasons.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM

8,925 posts, read 7,768,824 times
When I was younger the guys seemed to like the really loud and playful girls at my school.

I was more outgoing as a child, but I don't really remember any boys having crushes on me at that time. (I wasn't the cutest kid back then lol) In elementary school the boys and girls really didn't interact with each other in a romantic way we were just kids having fun. In middle school I was even more awkward looking lol, the boys seemed to like the loud, obnoxious popular girls. I became more self conscious and stayed to myself.

I wasn't exactly quiet but I had a group I associated with more so than others. I liked comics, anime, and video games, and I was picked on for it. I was nerdy. In high school it was the same thing. I didn't see too much of the guys liking the shy nerdy girls. I had a few guys that liked me in high school but for the most part, the shy, nerdy, quiet girls were picked on and the loud popular girls were the ones they liked.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I definitely buy that most teen boys are primarily interested in the attributes listed (the "doesn't talk much" makes me sad, though, I don't like the idea that girls should shut up and be pretty). I definitely wasn't interested in the average teen boy when I was a teen girl, for those exact reasons.
If you replace "talk" with "gossipy teenage crap" then I'd agree.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:

My type was something of a cross between Kennedy, as in the '90s MTV VJ, and Anne Hathaway with the wild hair and clumsiness before her "princess" transformation on The Princess Diaries.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,417,056 times
Quote:

Yes, there seems to be a definite preference for the really pretty long-haired girl who "doesn't talk much" as I've seen with the 7th - 9th grade boys. In fact, the most "popular" girls in those grades seem to fit the description to a T. They are also sending out a lot of selfies of themselves looking quiet and pensive in peaceful settings... lol... So they are managing/marketing this "quietly mysterious" image to their peers.... Maybe things change for the older high school boys - hopefully.

The boy "cliques" I observe are the "jocks," high honor students/"geeks," theatre/performance kids, and a little bit the artsy/"goth" kids. I also talk to a lot of parents and volunteer with kids. I'd say the boys who seem to most like the outspoken girls come from the theatre group. My daughter is in theatre, so I know about some of the relationships that go on there. It is a very nice supportive group of kids... Never did theatre in high school.

But I'm not sure what can be generalized from my observations. Individual personalities make a difference.

It reminds me of the book/movie "Mean Girls," but from the male perspective.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 09-18-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships