Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM

25 posts, read 19,255 times

Advertisements

I'm writing now in a moment of desperation in hopes that someone can relate or give any helpful advice. I've been with my husband for 15 years. We're both 38 yrs old. When we got married, neither of us wanted children. 3 years ago, I got pregnant while on the pill. At first, it was shock but then we grew excited - he was also very excited. When I miscarried at 14 wks, we were both devastated.
Since then, I have now changed and want nothing more than to be a mother. He refuses. It's been 3 years of me trying to convince him how much it means to me, crying, depression, now anger. He won't budge.
It's to the point where I can barely control my emotions and it's causing us to consider separation because we aren't on the same page and we are both miserable.
We still love each other and want to make it work, but he's not willing to have a child. And I've tried for 3 years to come to terms with that and be happy without it. As the biological clock ticks away, I have increasing anxiety and resentment toward him. He is not sensitive to my feelings and wants me to just get over it, move on, be happy and stop talking about it. all of which is making me feel like he doesn't care about me.
I'm considering leaving him even though it's the last thing I want for us. I just cannot take this emotional stress and depression anymore.

We have been seeing a counselor but it's not really helping.

Anyone going through this? Any advice? Am I being selfish to now expect him to sympathize with how I feel?

I'm so sad, devastated and lost....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 48,030,547 times
You are not selfish, but you are reneging on the deal.

You got married with the understanding that there would be no children. Now you changed YOUR mind, but he did not.
I cannot blame him for how he feels.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat14 View Post
I'm writing now in a moment of desperation in hopes that someone can relate or give any helpful advice. I've been with my husband for 15 years. We're both 38 yrs old. When we got married, neither of us wanted children. 3 years ago, I got pregnant while on the pill. At first, it was shock but then we grew excited - he was also very excited. When I miscarried at 14 wks, we were both devastated.
Since then, I have now changed and want nothing more than to be a mother. He refuses. It's been 3 years of me trying to convince him how much it means to me, crying, depression, now anger. He won't budge.
It's to the point where I can barely control my emotions and it's causing us to consider separation because we aren't on the same page and we are both miserable.
We still love each other and want to make it work, but he's not willing to have a child. And I've tried for 3 years to come to terms with that and be happy without it. As the biological clock ticks away, I have increasing anxiety and resentment toward him. He is not sensitive to my feelings and wants me to just get over it, move on, be happy and stop talking about it. all of which is making me feel like he doesn't care about me.
I'm considering leaving him even though it's the last thing I want for us. I just cannot take this emotional stress and depression anymore.

Anyone going through this? Any advice? Am I being selfish to now expect him to sympathize with how I feel?

I am sorry for what you are going through

And I understand what Pitt Chick just said, he likely does feel you are "reneging" on the deal you made at your wedding.

However, when two people love one another they must both work to respect and support one another even when they do change.

After all, LIFE is all about change. Nothing ever stays the same. We must grow or we stagnate and die (emotionally and/or spiritually).

That being said, your husband has closed his heart to any growth or change, and I'm so sorry.

But you now have to make one of two choices....

You make a conscious decision to love him regardless of how he is hurting you and release your dream completely so that you can remain happy in your marriage.

OR

You walk away and pursue motherhood from another direction.

Neither choice will be easy, I know. But this is really what it all comes down to.

Again, I'm sorry.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,844,086 times
I just want to say how sorry I am for your situation. I understand your dilemma. My husband never "wanted" children but he was also not adamant about it. We married fairly young with no real life plan, so changes were bound to occur. But when a woman has that urge come upon her, it is extremely powerful, and if it is not fulfilled there is a tremendous amount of grief, and like you said, anxiety and pain. Luckily my husband came around and gave me what I wanted. He was a good father. He cried both times I gave birth. But he was never really into family life. We divorced in part because he sort of checked out when I became a mom. He just could not relate to this new "me."

But thank god I had my children and I am grateful for them every day. No advice here. I just want you to know I understand how hard this is for you and there are no easy answers.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,878,819 times
Could his fear now be because you lost your baby at 14wks? Maybe he is scared that will happen again.

I would sit down and have a heavy heart to heart about it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,431,419 times
Look at it this way: You leave him, go through the divorce process, child custody, asset division, divorce, then you start dating in the attempt to find a man to have a child (because your "clock is ticking") and before you know it, you'll be in your 40's trying to have a baby you never wanted when you got married.

I'm so sorry you miscarried, but I'm just giving you a reality check.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,469,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcat14 View Post

It is doubtful he will change his mind so you need to decide if you want to stay married or have a child.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 AM

62,197 posts, read 88,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You are not selfish, but you are reneging on the deal.

You got married with the understanding that there would be no children. Now you changed YOUR mind, but he did not.
I cannot blame him for how he feels.
^^^ THIS!! I have a good friend who got divorced for the very reason. When they got married they BOTH agreed that there would be no children. Then SHE changed her mind...
I think - divorce was the best thing for them. In a marriage both parties should be on the same page.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,031,493 times
I think he worries more about you. May be he enjoy the time with no kids last 15 years. I am sorry what you go through. what I can say now you are 38 and I feel your best time has passed to have a baby. It is important to have a healthy baby other wise you will both suffer. Some times you might regret that you have changed your mind.So watch out that side too. But for me life with a man but no kid is not worth at all. you are not being selfish but he is. yes you got married 15 years ago then you both did not want kids as you both were young ,now you want it because you felt the feeling to be a mother due to unexpected pregnancy if he cannot understand that he is the one who is selfish that is how I see. But I agree with what Elnina said.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,510,083 times
I agree with Pitt Chuck and the last two posters. I'm sorry that you may not get what you want. You have to decide what's more important - your marriage or having a child with someone else - and go with that choice, letting go of resentment either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships