Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,020,995 times

Advertisements

I wonder why cannot you take this as a blessing? Sorry for saying this that gentleman wont stop making decision for her daughter and you too, and you have to obey his majesty father-in-laws orders. May be possible he will ask you to walk two steps behind him too. understand you are in pain first love is the love you feel till deep end but as a grown up I regret I married my first love with in two days.

Quote:
No my mom put a condition on the vacation that was going to happen, not the relationship.
please dont mad at her ,, I am sure she felt miserable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm lost...how come your gf wasn't already baptized if being baptized is so important to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Post makes no sense....

If she became a Christian 4 years ago, she should have been baptized then.
some people baptize when they are a few months old, others wait until the child is five or six. others wait until they are ready to understand what being baptized really means.

that said, OP forget this girl. you and her father will never get along at this point, and she is rejecting you also now, since you went back on your word to her father she has lost a margin of trust in you.

there are some of us that respect people that keep their word. time was a mans word, especially when given over a handshake, was a contract that was enforceable. you are at a crossroads in your life right now, and you need to make a decision. if you give your word and shake a mans hand over it, are you going to follow through and be a man, or are you going to be the kind of person that will require a contract and everyone signatures before you do something?

in the end this is a matter of honor and respect, and you have broken both.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,339,483 times
Yep, some families are like that....super religious. Their way or the high way. You either go with them or not. The choice is yours and you made your bed, now move on. Growing up I knew friends who have lost their girlfriends over religion. My sister in law is not religious but she love my brother enough that she was willing to convert because if she didn't convert, there was no future. She rather be in his life than without being in his life so she did what she had too.

As for you, it's a tough lesson in life. Never break your word, especially to someone that have the ability and the will to destroy your happiness.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,306,860 times
Heck no. You're kids, grow up and stop worrying about this.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:41 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,581,655 times
Rock out with your **** out and never look back.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:34 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,789,168 times
You should stay true to yourself. Because if you don't, that bad feeling you had when you said you were going to be baptized will always stay with you and it will only get bigger, eating at you as time goes by, and you will have realized it was not worth it. I know because I have tried to do things for other people despite many bad feelings and they never go away. They just make you unhappy and you will lose yourself, not knowing who you are anymore because you did not stay true to yourself. Do what you think is right for you.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,825,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Sorry, but I'm having a hard time grasping that they converted and she wasn't baptized because "she wasn't ready". This all sounds strange that she was accepted into the church but she wasn't baptized and they were? Given the way you described her father, how would he have allowed for her not to be baptized? Just seems odd.

If any of this is true, don't get back together. Her father is not going to accept you and it will put a strain on the relationship. Relationships aren't supposed to have conditions like that and your mom said your gf can only go if her dad accepts you so she's putting a condition on the relationship as well.
I was raised baptist and recently rejoined the church. In both the church of my childhood and this one I'm in now kids are not baptized until they are old enough to understand what they are doindand say for themselves they are ready to make that commitment. It's considered a personal journey.

OP, run. The dad was WAY out of line. You NEVER pressure someone into baptism. And to insist that you'd do it "if you really love my daughter"? There is no part of the bible that says you join the church for someone else, let alone pledge your whole life to Christ, which is what baptism symbolizes. Nope.

And your girlfriend getting mad because you didn't keep secrets from your mom? Immature. If something is bothering you, you should be able to tell your own mother.

This girl does not love you as you are. She wants a version of you that doesn't exist. I understand if she feels she can only date another Christian, but their treatment of you was not Christian at all. Pressuring a 17 year old boy into promising to baptize then nastily rejecting him when he's not where you want him to be spiritually? That is not kind.

Do not feel bad. Let this one go.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,117,983 times
You don't share her religious beliefs.
You aren't driven within yourself to change.
Her parents are pressuring you.

You are very young. Look for a young woman who shares your POV. You shouldn't have to change or become someone you aren't for another person.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:11 AM

7,084 posts, read 8,974,092 times
This is just downright strange, I know a lot of religious people but no one this extreme.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 5,254,281 times
Sounds made up to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships