Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,413 times

Advertisements

Helpppp
I am 27 Ive been with my husband 9 yrs and i have a 4 yr old son
I finally left him 2 days ago . I had a mentally abusive relationship . He was very jealous ! I had to walk with my head down and deal with fighting all the time ( what im wearing , where im looking ect ect ) He has made my life miserable ! Now on the up side He loves me unconditionally , he was an amazing supporter ( i was a stay at home mom ) i had a house and all my bills paid . He was an okay father . Now that I left hes begging for one more chance He claims if I wouldve sat him down and discussed this (that im gonna leave before i left) he wouldve changed before it was too late. Obviously when we fought id threaten him i was taking my son and leaving but now it really happened. I also dont know if i put enough thought about what i am doing to my son . Now he is promising the world . I do love him I just dont know what I should do Right now i can survive with 1 child but what if i go back and find out hes the same 3 yrs later when i have another child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
You need to stay away. Stay with friends, or relatives until you can get on your feet. If you are having thoughts about going back to him, please, DO NOT go back right now! Give yourself time to heal, and realize that you are a person too, and most definetly give him time to realize that you are not going to go right back in the same situation that you just left. I think deep down, you know that things "will not change."
I have been in your shoes, and I lost count how many times I went back for that "second chance." Good luck!!

Thats another thing I should add on here...do think about your son. Do you honestly want him raised to see how Mom has to be "ashamed" all of the time, because of your husband? I know I would want more for him, if it was me..

Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Did he know there was a genuine problem, or did he think it was "just another fight"?

How much communication, real communication, was going on?

I would suggest if he wants another chance, he go to marriage counseling with you. I would also suggest making sure you are on BC. You don't want make-up sex to generate another child that may lock you into a place where you cannot leave and he is free to return to his old ways.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Sounds like you need some time away from your marriage for serious thought.
A spouse will promise you the moon to get you back. If this isnt the first time you been in this situation, it wont be the last until both of you make some real changes. Sounds like he has major control issues that need to be addressed.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,683,751 times
Anybody can promise anything. Words are cheap. You shouldn't put much stock in promises. Instead, realize that a person's past conduct is the most reliable predictor of how he will treat you in the future.

Whatever you do, don't stay in the marriage simply because you have your bills paid. You are not a child, you are a grown person. And you are still young. Get out there, acquire some marketable skills and get a job, for crying out loud. The longer you live with a man simply because he supports you, the more and more financially dependent you'll become.

As for "mental abuse" -- you'll find that in any unhappy family, although your husband's attempts to control you signals a danger ahead. However, if you decide to come back to him and give it another go, make sure you leave immediately if he ever lays a finger on you or on the kid.

And DO NOT get pregnant again. It's an extremely bad idea to have a kid when your marriage is on the rocks.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Take a cue from the countless abused wives, compare their stories to yours. Most of all, be honest with yourself, trust your 'instincts'...intuition...gut feeling....hunches...whatever you want to call it. They won't steer you wrong--if you know how to recognize them.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I have to agree with what's been said, it must be very difficult now but if you go back to him you're just going to have more misery. Abusive people just can't suddenly change their personalities.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,933 times
This may sound trite, corny, and even cliche, but I am a fan of Dr. Phil's philosophies, I believed in many of the things he says before he said them, but he has a show and I don't.

He has said two things consistently...
1) The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

and

2) Kids would rather be from a broken home than IN one.

Hope this helps, and no I don't think you should go back and for God's sake don't have another child with him!!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by per143 View Post
Helpppp
I am 27 Ive been with my husband 9 yrs and i have a 4 yr old son
I finally left him 2 days ago . I had a mentally abusive relationship . He was very jealous ! I had to walk with my head down and deal with fighting all the time ( what im wearing , where im looking ect ect ) He has made my life miserable ! Now on the up side He loves me unconditionally , he was an amazing supporter ( i was a stay at home mom ) i had a house and all my bills paid . He was an okay father . Now that I left hes begging for one more chance He claims if I wouldve sat him down and discussed this (that im gonna leave before i left) he wouldve changed before it was too late. Obviously when we fought id threaten him i was taking my son and leaving but now it really happened. I also dont know if i put enough thought about what i am doing to my son . Now he is promising the world . I do love him I just dont know what I should do Right now i can survive with 1 child but what if i go back and find out hes the same 3 yrs later when i have another child.
He obviously didn't love you unconditionally seeing the demands he placed upon you because of his jealousy and insecurity. That part of him will not change overnight, if ever. If you go back anticipate more of the same behavior down the road.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
Those promises will be nothing in a few weeks if not days. You and your little one are better off without him. Don't believe me? Take him back and just watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships