Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:23 PM

473 posts, read 760,475 times

Advertisements

You have a first date with someone and it goes alright. Your date is perfectly nice, with no obvious red flags/character flaws. You're not strongly physically attracted, but you don't find them repulsive either. Knowing that relationships can take time to develop, how long would you continue to give things a chance before concluding the person is great, just not great for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
3 strikes.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM

111 posts, read 286,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
You have a first date with someone and it goes alright. Your date is perfectly nice, with no obvious red flags/character flaws. You're not strongly physically attracted, but you don't find them repulsive either. Knowing that relationships can take time to develop, how long would you continue to give things a chance before concluding the person is great, just not great for you?

I actually know right away if Im into someone or not.......Im not exactly the most patient, understanding or fair person I know. Exactly how long have you been waiting?

Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Here was my theory on things. Unless the first date was just a total horror show, I always went out with a woman twice. After all, she might have been stressed about something, nervous or simply didn't feel good that day.

It paid off for me. Because my first date with my wife was kind of good and kind of eh. Even though the first time I met her, I knew she was right for me, the first date ended on kind of a down note. So I waited a week and then called her again. Second date was just outstanding.

But if there are no sparks by the end of the third date (No, I don't mean hopping into bed), then bail. Because it just won't happen.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
My last two serious relationships started out with a not so great first date. The second dates went much much better. A lot of people are very nervous on first dates and really aren't themselves. If the conversation is still dragging or there is zero chemistry by the end of the second date, well there won't be a third.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM

473 posts, read 760,475 times
Hey Texgrl,

Date was on Sunday and planning a second date for this week. Was set up by mutual friends. He's a good guy, but I didn't feel any sparks. I don't want to be too hasty; I know sometimes there's no connection on a first date. My friends are begging me to be open to this guy, since I'm not the most patient person either. Especially since the guys I've had that immediate spark with have not worked out.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 PM

188 posts, read 474,503 times
I would continue dating the person until there was no more progression in the relationship. Once it gets stagnant then it is pretty much done. JMHO

Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
H Especially since the guys I've had that immediate spark with have not worked out.
Maybe something to think about? Sometimes that immediate spark clouds your vision of what the person is really like. If you had an OK time, and no immediate flags, why not give it another go with this new guy? I think people put WAY too much emphasis on the immediate spark.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
Once you've gone through their earned income and they show no interest in risking jail time, I believe its time to move on.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
1st dates are always stressful.

I think by the end of 3 you pretty much know if it's worth pursuing or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships