Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM

54 posts, read 79,217 times

Advertisements

Ok, gay guy here, early 30's. I've been dating my beau for 9 weeks. Last week, I went out of town, and when I got back, he told me that he thinks we should move in together! I don't know how to progress in the relationship. In general, I have fun when I"m around him, but I'm not sure if we have long term potential.

What I like about him:
-He's a genuinely good person
-He's always happy
-I can be myself when I'm around him
-We make each other laugh
-The sex is great, and the cuddling is even better
-He's well connected in our city
-He has a good, stable job that he loves

What I don't like about him:
-He smokes too much pot (multiple times a day, and first thing in the morning on his days off)
-He watches too much TV
-He eats too much fast food
-He wears plaid on plaid
-He's a moderate, I'm very liberal
-He's a non-practicing Christian, I'm an atheist
-He likes showtunes, I like rock and jazz
-He likes action movies, I hate action movies
-He doesn't read
-We don't really have intellectual conversations

Other things to consider:
-I need to move anyway (I live with my ex, and it's horrible!)
-I love his neighborhood
-Living with him would make sense financially

Given all of this, should I break up with him, consider moving in, or just go on, taking things day-by-day?

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Last edited by ChiBlackhawks; 10-22-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:51 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,886 times
Do you think you can do better? Not in regards to looks or money, but in regards to how he makes you feel. Do you think you could be happy without him in your life?

I think these are the questions you need to ask yourself.

I don't think I'd move in with him until you figured out whether or not he's the guy you want to be with.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Moving in is a no no because of the pot smoking.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
OMG, he wears plaid on plaid??? He's definitely got to go!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM

54 posts, read 79,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Moving in is a no no because of the pot smoking.
Pot isn't an absolute deal breaker; I'm okay with weed in moderation. I'll smoke it myself occasionally at a party. But I don't know about everyday. My parents have been smoking everyday for the past 35 years, and they are soooooooo fried. It gets harder and harder to have basic conversations with them anymore.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
I can see multiple problems here. The cons about him outweigh the pros. You've only been together for 9 weeks. You sound like you would be using him for;
1) his connections
2) as a place to move to given the fact you're still living with an ex

I suggest you get a place of your own and move out of your exes to begin with. It's far too soon to be moving in with him. Why not just do the day by day and see how it progresses from there.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBlackhawks View Post
I'm okay with pot in general. I'll smoke it myself occasionally at a party. But I don't know about everyday. My parents have been smoking everyday for the past 35 years, and they are soooooooo fried. It gets harder and harder to have basic conversations with them anymore.
yeah I agree. I am okay with pot too. But this guy smokes multiple times a day, that is too much.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Moving straight from your ex's home to HIS home? ...would be good financially? You've known your "beau" for all of 9 weeks? And you admit you're only lukewarm?

Nooooooooooo! What's the rush? If it is only finances that's a silly reason to move in - especially since it means you'd have a rough time moving out if it didn't work out. Take money out of the equation and slow down!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Look at the list you wrote, you have more con's than pro's, that should give you your answer right there if the "9 weeks together" wasn't already blatantly clear that it is too soon to move in together.

PS ~~ The wearing "plaid on plaid" would be the absolute deal breaker for me, nothing else even matters, seriously, it doesn't, not even close...

Old 10-22-2014, 05:33 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I can see multiple problems here. The cons about him outweigh the pros. You've only been together for 9 weeks. You sound like you would be using him for;
1) his connections
2) as a place to move to given the fact you're still living with an ex

I suggest you get a place of your own and move out of your exes to begin with. It's far too soon to be moving in with him. Why not just do the day by day and see how it progresses from there.
I just wanted to say I agree with Djuna's advice. What's the rush, you really barely know this guy. Get an apartment or rent a room for 6 months and see how things go first, then maybe re-evaluate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships