Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
It's worse when you ask them what kind of music they like, and they answer, "A little bit of everything."

Mmmm hmmm. You like country, pop and mainstream R&B, don't you?
Me: "Wow so you probably like classical too?"
Her: "Yes I love classical music!"
Me: "Who's your favorite composer?"
Her: "Oh I can listen to any of them"
Me: "...Who's your favorite orchestra?"
Her: "I don't know, I can't decide"
Me: "... ...Name anything related to classical music"
Her: "..."
Me: "WHAT IS A CELLO"
Her: "Is that what Dave Matthews plays?"
Me:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
It's worse when you ask them what kind of music they like, and they answer, "A little bit of everything."

Eh. Doesn't always mean that
I go from hard rock, new wave, grunge,classic rock, blues, alt rock, electronic (deep house/trance),punk, (old) hip hop, crooners, elvis....opera...

Yeah I have a wide range I like. Of course I like some genre more than others - but if it sounds good

And yeah, if you don't like music (& I've met people who have said this ) it'll never work, lol

Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

Strange point of view... I say I like a little bit of everything all the time and it means just that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Eh. Doesn't always mean that
I go from hard rock, new wave, grunge,classic rock, blues, alt rock, electronic (deep house/trance),punk, (old) hip hop, crooners, elvis....opera...

Yeah I have a wide range I like. Of course I like some genre more than others - but if it sounds good

And yeah, if you don't like music (& I've met people who have said this ) it'll never work, lol
No doubt... I couldn't be with someone that didn't revere music.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:09 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yep they'd hate driving with me, that's for sure

I read a study where they found that some people derive no pleasure from music. That would be horrible.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:09 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Strange point of view... I say I like a little bit of everything all the time and it means just that....

What does it mean?

Old 10-28-2014, 06:12 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
What does it mean?
It means take all the stuff you listed in your profile music wise and add a few more things like country, swing, jazz, vocal standards, speed metal, 70's punk, maybe a dash of rap.

Not sure why you seem to be having an issue with the concept of a little bit of everything

Old 10-28-2014, 06:22 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
I'd only have an issue if my S/O was so into something that significantly affected our lifestyle.

For instance if she only wanted to go to NO on every vacation to see blues/jazz.

If I was forced to spend one second with any living Jimmy Buffett fan or listen to one bar of his music.

And it's also a little bit of an issue if my S/O feels like one genre of music is appropriate for every occasion and every tiime of the day.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
It means take all the stuff you listed in your profile music wise and add a few more things like country, swing, jazz, vocal standards, speed metal, 70's punk, maybe a dash of rap.

Not sure why you seem to be having an issue with the concept of a little bit of everything
I'm just getting you to extrapolate. Now you are saying why you like the music you do, which is good. All I'm saying is that if I ask someone this, it is because I would really like to know or discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep they'd hate driving with me, that's for sure

I read a study where they found that some people derive no pleasure from music. That would be horrible.
I've heard that too. It has been mentioned also that when people get older, they go more toward talk radio. That's true with a few people I know. Or they don't have the time to search for new music and that kind of thing.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:26 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How similar are your and your partner's taste in music?

In our case, it's very different lol.

Me:
EDM, classical, international folk music, Spanish music, classic rock, melodic death metal, 80s-90s rap

Husband:
He only listens to: Taylor Swift "Shake it Off", Backstreet Boys, One Direction, Megan Trainer "All About Bass", Sia "Chandelier", Magic "Rude", Justin Bieber "Baby"

How do you balance radio control with your partner?
When I was a teenager, I breathe and live music. Teen age years is really the age range for that. Now, I really don't care for it. But if I do listen to music. Guess what I listen to? ONLY 80s music. Same songs I listen to when I was a teen.

Me and my husband rarely fight about music. Except for that one time which really pissed me off. It was one of his a-hole moments. Ugh.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:12 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Having been a musician all my life, I'm extremely picky about my music selection. All through middle school, high school, and college, I'd met only 1 person who owned any of the music I owned.

My tastes have shifted a bit since then, but my new collection is also one that few people have ever heard.

That being said, musical tastes were basically a non-factor in whether my wife and I would get along. At any given time she listens to about 10 total songs, all from the same genre. Other than the songs driving me crazy (particularly on long car rides when I drive her car) it's really not a big deal.

If she was super into rap and R&B it wouldn't have worked between us. Outside of that, I don't much care what she listens to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships