Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,801 times

Advertisements

I want some honest opinions on what it's like to date nowadays.
I recently ended a LTR and haven't been in the dating pool since my 20's.
I don't go to bars or clubs anymore, nor am I into social media like facebook.
How do you meet people? I'm not sure if I want to try online dating.

How are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,487 times
I am in similar circumstance. I did try hobby thing and didn't have much luck meeting anyone single, very homely, very old or morbidly obese, or looking for one night stands

I tried online dating.... pretty much the same thing... people in relationships creeping, very homely, extremely short or morbidly obese, or social misfits, much older and lying on their profile, and those who want to leap frog through all the courting and getting to know you going straight to boyfriend benefits while still maintain unattached/detached posturing.

But I continue to try because there are some gems. I have 4 friends who found life long partners in their 40s as second marriages (for both). So it can happen.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypuppy View Post

You can meet people through friends, or by joining hobby groups, volunteering in the community, taking classes or workshops of various sorts, going to the gym if you can find a gym that's sociable, and just being active and out participating in groups activities of all sorts. It will probably take time to find someone you click with, but that's true of any of the options available, including online dating.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
dating these days is pretty much like it was thirty years ago, just with more options for meeting people. its not the place where you meet people, it is, as it always has been, the approach. for instance you see someone at the supermarket that you might want to try and date, how do you approach them? if you see them in the produce isle, ask them about the bananas or the tomatoes on sale. or how do you pick the cantaloup, because you dont want a bad one. get them to help you with your shopping.

or lets sway you are in a bookstore, you ask about a particular book they are looking at.

it doesnt matter, you just want to taylor your approach to take advantage of the location.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:05 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Talk to people while you are out.Talk like you are human.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Talk to people while you are out.Talk like you are human.
This is basically it. And find ways to mix and mingle with people in different contexts (meetup.com, writing workshops or photography class, group sports activities, volunteering, etc.)

Old 11-28-2014, 11:19 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,185 times
I usually meet people through friends of friends and family. I meet people at work, but I don't feel comfortable dating at work. And, I work quite a lot.

How is dating for someone who doesn't like to go to bars or clubs either? It happens, but not as frequently, especially when you're mostly working or have bills to pay.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
These days it tends to start out as a “just friends only” situation that can continue for some time and too frequently never moves beyond that. When it goes from “friends” to good old fashioned regular normal dating depends on the people involved. I prefer to start out as a friend dating moving slowly but too many people have become fearful of anything that has the slightest whiff of potential obligation or commitment to it like “going steady”, “dating”, etc.

Wonderful times indeed that you are living in these days. God forbid the term “romance” ever comes up either as today nobody has the slightest idea of what romance is as it is rejected frequently and consistently. You show up with flowers on a first date, or any date, and she thinks “oh no, too serious” and fixates negatively for some inexplicable reason beyond comprehension on that the whole time when all you did was show up with some flowers in your hand. Just enjoy the flowers and how they add to the moment. There is something flawed with a species that thinks this way and cannot grow the micro step beyond it.

Last edited by JobZombie; 11-28-2014 at 09:01 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 05:51 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
Quote:

I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say I love your username. I call my pup this all the time!

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM

619 posts, read 652,344 times
Quote:

I've never joined the dating sites, and I don't generally find dates on social media sites, but it's a good place to get to know someone once you've met them. I go to BBQ's, sports parties, birthday parties, and I meet guys that way. I've had a lot of guys ask me out at the supermarket. It's apparently a hot bed for singles.

You can strike up a conversation anywhere. I'm not sure if it's just my area, but it only takes a friendly salutation, a smile and people are more than willing to engage in conversation.

Dates are so much easier now than they were twenty years ago. You can find all sorts of events online and you don't want to wait for the other party to bring it up. Civic theaters, movies, comedy clubs, dinner, community activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships