Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I think I got number 1 down, but maybe it's number 2 that I'm struggling with. I come from a pretty average, blue-collar family, so much of my life is that; average. I have plenty of accomplishments that I'm proud of in my life. I think I'm pretty funny, if you get my sense of humor (think Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell). And I'm definitely sociable despite being nervous in some rowdy social environments. But I fight through it and put myself out there.

Often times, I feel like I come up short with so many people my age who come from a better socio-economic background. They've traveled the world with family. They've bought their first house (I'm still paying down student loans and saving for a house because I have no one to help me). They're involved with lots of activities, where I'm involved with a few but mostly my life is pretty routine (because I try to be financially responsible). It's probably all in my head, but sometimes I feel like this puts me at a pretty big disadvantage in the dating game, at least in terms of finding other people whom I'd like.
Your second paragraph is how I felt dating as well. My family wasn't even blue collar average either. My Dad went to prison when I was a kid, which none of the white kids at my school could relate too. Then add to the scenario that I'm a black kid, who's Dad went to prison, which clearly fits the stereotype. I, too, always felt a little at a disadvantage. Also, the guys I was "competing" with were getting the types of women that I wanted. The women that had a tendency to want me, came with some baggage I couldn't deal with.

Know what I did? I just elevated my game a little bit more. Instead of spending money on motorcycles and binge drinking on the weekend. I saved that money and put it into nice dress shoes and a more professional and put together work wardrobe. I volunteered more and I put myself in situations where I could be displayed as a leader. That's when those special women started paying more attention to me. Even if we never worked out romantically, I had them noticing me, which was a big ego boost for myself.

What I found out, is that even though I didn't come from a well to do family didn't mean that I still couldn't end up with the kind of woman I wanted. I just had to work a little bit harder than others to obtain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Your second paragraph is how I felt dating as well. My family wasn't even blue collar average either. My Dad went to prison when I was a kid, which none of the white kids at my school could relate too. Then add to the scenario that I'm a black kid, who's Dad went to prison, which clearly fits the stereotype. I, too, always felt a little at a disadvantage. Also, the guys I was "competing" with were getting the types of women that I wanted. The women that had a tendency to want me, came with some baggage I couldn't deal with.

Know what I did? I just elevated my game a little bit more. Instead of spending money on motorcycles and binge drinking on the weekend. I saved that money and put it into nice dress shoes and a more professional and put together work wardrobe. I volunteered more and I put myself in situations where I could be displayed as a leader. That's when those special women started paying more attention to me. Even if we never worked out romantically, I had them noticing me, which was a big ego boost for myself.

What I found out, is that even though I didn't come from a well to do family didn't mean that I still couldn't end up with the kind of woman I wanted. I just had to work a little bit harder than others to obtain it.
Wow, I'm sorry weezerfan, that must have been tough to deal with. Yet here you are, a reasonable, smart guy with his head screwed on. It's nice to see a broken upbringing can still produce a great guy.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:06 PM

You know it Rakin

Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjess1951 View Post
Its the complete opposite in my city. I live in a big city and a lot of the women are so superficial. They definitely have the "barbie" look. I think I'm attractive but I'm more a guy's girl. I don't want to look perfect all the time. I want a day where I can look awful and my guy still finds me beautiful. Haha!

But those girls get all the attention until the guy finds out there is nothing else there other than looks.
Travel and Leisure ranked my city pretty high on the ugly list, and lots of the guys I've met and found attractive aren't originally from my city...sometimes not even from the US. But yeah, I guess it could also suck to live in a city that places a high emphasis on a certain type of look.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:11 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But the problem with only being attracted to or willing to go out with people you find hot is that most people aren't hot. At least not in my city.
Which brings up the whole minefield about what is attractive, anyway? Some people think that what is hot is subjective, like everyone should find the same person attractive. I know for myself that I've never dated anyone that I wasn't attracted to, but whether or not he made other women weak in the knees wasn't of interest to me.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Which brings up the whole minefield about what is attractive, anyway? Some people think that what is hot is subjective, like everyone would find the same person attractive. I know for myself that I've never dated anyone that I wasn't attracted to, but whether or not he made other women weak in the knees wasn't of interest to me.
Indeed. I think most women have their own idea what's attractive to them and what's not. You can't even get a consensus on movie stars or musicians. And tastes change over the years as well. It's not as if we're all looking for exactly the same guy.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:15 PM

416 posts, read 395,740 times
Quote:
Which brings up the whole minefield about what is attractive, anyway? Some people think that what is hot is subjective, like everyone would find the same person attractive. I know for myself that I've never dated anyone that I wasn't attracted to, but whether or not he made other women weak in the knees wasn't of interest to me.
My "hot" has changed over the years. I used to find the "bad boy" look attractive. Then I moved to the tall and built guy. Now I like the bearded look.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Have to agree. Some guys I liked others found ugly. But all I ask is that I find him decent - hot to look at. Apparently, that's asking too much though

Guys I have turned down, my mother thought were ok-looking-cute and that I should go for them because they're available, and I don't have guys banging down my door. But that was her taste, or trying to marry me off, who knows. When I looked, they weren't attractive to me, so I wasn't interested.

That's a problem with set-ups, and why I don't care for them. because people try to match you according to their tastes, and what they think you should have, not whether or not you will actually be interested.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:03 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
The OPs "dilemma" is nothing unique to most men.

Attractive chicks get hit on all the time, so waiting around for them to make the first move is like waiting on a winning lottery ticket to fly into your palms.

I'm against settling with an unattractive woman. If you get with a woman and try your best to look past your lack of attraction, you will not treat her right, Trust me. The best thing is to try to get someone with some attractive features and focus more on those and realize that nobody has it all.

It's taken me forever to realize this.

HA!!!

I should be a trillionaire I tell ya!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:26 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Secondly, be happy with just being yourself, being alone. When you're happy with yourself and being alone, going out and doing the things you like to do, then you'll find women who are interested in the same things, and those who are attractive will find you intriguing because you are into the same things that they are.
As an introvert, I am content being myself and being alone. I have thrived on it for many years. But I've reached a point in my life where everything is falling into place: good job, good pay, fun hobbies, friends, etc. But, for the life of me, I can't figure the relationship part out. I'm not repulsive. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships