Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastwomanstanding View Post
I think LDRs work if the people involved want them to .
Comments, please.
I don't. Or at least certainly not as simplistically or unqualifiedly as that.

Even when the couple has had a long standing successful relationship prior to adding the
complication of distance (and time) apart it's hard to hold on to what they had. For long.
The travel expenses and logistics required to manage only add to that tension.

But if you're talking about establishing a relationship from scratch and from a distance?
Wanting to make it work is the least of the problems they'll have until one or the other
can relocate.

But at that point this couple is essentially starting over from scratch but worse because you
already know too much about them before you can be around them to learn those things.
It's rather like when OLD correspondence goes on too long before meeting.

The emotional discovery" process becomes one of intellectual "confirmation" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:26 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Long distance is tough because you can't get that face to face validation when you need reassurance that everything is going well and the other person is happy. I have a lot of insecurities from past failed relationships. I try my best to overcome them, but we are all still a product of our pasts. It sounds like perhaps your guy was just busy/preoccupied and I don't think you should jump to any bad conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships