Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,251,193 times

Advertisements

Shocking isn't it? I even volunteer in the toddler nursery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You mean YOU ACTUALLY OCCASIONALLY VISIT A CHURCH WHERE VIEWS AND BELIEFS YOU DON'T PERSONALLY HOLD ARE ESPOUSED?????

Me, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM

530 posts, read 668,347 times
If you have a belief system and you are comfortable with it and wish to raise a family that will be entrenched in that system, you don't really have a choice but to marry (yes, I said marry) a person who holds those same beliefs.
Perhaps if more people spent more time finding out what they believe in, then they would care more about what the prospective mothers and fathers of their future children believe in.
Too many choices that we, as a society make, are dependent upon things such as looks or qualities that are relatively short lived. Beliefs are lifelong and they are important.
When I was dating, I looked exclusively for a man who was comfortably entrenched in my religion. I knew him about two minutes before I asked him a question that revealed the answer. If he had answered otherwise, I would have turned around and walked away. That is my comfort zone and it's great to know what you want so that you can attempt to avoid a future possibly uncomfortable situation when the relationship moves up a notch and the discussion of children enters the picture.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,251,193 times
It's written from his viewpoint, as a 21 year old with very little life experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
I wonder what or why? The book is written from a pastor's point view, but from a christian morality standpoint, it's very accurate.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,426,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
Have any of you ever dated someone that only wanted to date a certain religion? Like a guy who was Jewish and only dated Jewish girls, Christians who only dated Christians etc.
If I sensed the person I'm dating was only into dating someone of their own culture or religion and the were dating me? I'd move on. If they were truly devout to their religion, then they can date their own.

You accept a person for her they are or you don't. And if they don't accept you, then wish them luck. Life's too short.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,115,410 times
I think this is very common with Jewish and Indian people. Not to say other religions don't care but I think typically if I'm catholic and your protestant as long as we hvae the same morals and values no big deal. I notice Jewish people oftne want their kids to marry Jewish people. I also dated an Indian girl for a while and her parents only wanted her to marry an indian man.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,662,110 times
I'm an atheist and the majority of people I've dated were Christian. I thought about limiting myself to only dating other atheists, but it always seemed a little odd to connect with someone over your lack of belief in something. Plus there aren't a lot of atheists around and its not like they wear a sign telling the world they're atheist. What I pay more attention to is how religious someone is. Some people say they're Christian, but it's really in name only. If they're deeply religious and go to church all the time, attend Bible study, etc., I know I won't be compatible with that person. Plus, the deeply religious folk tend to be Republican, which is another reason I wouldn't date them. If my partner wanted me to go to church with them, I'd probably decline as I'm not a big fan of organized religion. Ultimately, it comes down to how much is that person's religion a part of their core identity. Do they see it as a big part of who they are or just something they seldom think about? If you plan to have kids together, that only complicates things since then you have to figure out how to raise them. In general, I think it's best to be with someone who's on the same page. But you also have to a bit flexible and accept that you may never find someone you're in 100% agreement with.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:13 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,662,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I think this is very common with Jewish and Indian people. Not to say other religions don't care but I think typically if I'm catholic and your protestant as long as we hvae the same morals and values no big deal. I notice Jewish people oftne want their kids to marry Jewish people. I also dated an Indian girl for a while and her parents only wanted her to marry an indian man.
With regards to Indians, I don't think that has to do with religion. Indian culture can be pretty conservative. I've met a few Indians whose families accepted their white partners, but there's still a lot of pushback against marrying outside the race.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Actually I am...I know my catholicism very well, don't agree or do everything, but I'm very familiar with everything: birth control, abortion, the pro life thing, Pope Francis, etc.

Don't know about you but I'm in Neocathecumenal Way, a strong movement in the Catholic Church
Which makes it all the more clear that you are not, in fact, "speaking for Catholics," as a group.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,397,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Which makes it all the more clear that you are not, in fact, "speaking for Catholics," as a group.
Yes, because the moral code of catholicism is clear...if you know the catecism...there you go!

Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,860,499 times
My husband wasnt a believer but i was. I wouldnt make that mistake again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships