Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:35 AM

619 posts, read 651,978 times

Advertisements

I took a sabbatical from dating when I was about 21 for a few years and usually waited a few months after each relationship before dating anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 03:13 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I just turned 40 two wks ago, but I still look & feel like a mid to late 20 something...however, definitely mature character-wise (I was mature back when I was actually in my 20s...never did anything crazy, anything I regret, etc.)

I'm not married yet (plan to be engaged probably this year), but I was just thinking, I've never been without a SO since I was 18. You're probably thinking that I must have had tons of SOs back-to-back. Actually, I've only had TWO (yes 2) SOs. I'm just the type who likes commitment & long-lasting relationships & when something works, I like to stick with it. I'm not saying that's good. That's just how things turned out in my life.

When I broke up (mutually) w/ SO #1 (without tears, no depressed period of being in a funk, etc.), I had already met SO #2, so we just started dating right after & have been together ever since.

Anyone else never really been alone/single their entire adult life? I assume my situation's very rare.
fascinating...

so you are a 40 yr old woman with 20+ years of nonstop relationship experience and you have never been married, i seen no mention of kids either

in many womans eyes that would seem like failure, i dont know too many woman who want to be 40+ unmarried w/ no kids

you diodnt have these same goals of marriage and kids when you were 20 something?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Nope divorced. My daughters father died while I was pregnant with her. I married a friend right after to give my daughter a family. Clearly did not work out but we parted ways 8 years ago.
So, within a week after your daughter's father died, you were married to someone else? And within a week after you divorced, you were in a new relationship? Do you count your marriage as a relationship?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Nope divorced. My daughters father died while I was pregnant with her. I married a friend right after to give my daughter a family. Clearly did not work out but we parted ways 8 years ago.
Hold up.

You had kid 1 by a BF, who died. You got married. Did you have kid 2 with that dude, or was kid 2 with the BF who was bipolar or whatever?

Did you actually have 2 kids with 2 separate men you were not married to?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Yeah. Not for any long periods of time. Longest period of time was maybe a few months, tops. And that was by choice. I enjoy the company of men.

Even then, I wasn't celibate. Just wasn't in a relationship.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
No one looks 20 years younger than they actually are no matter what they think or anyone tells them.

As far as being with someone constantly I have never made having a relationship, boyfriend or husband a top priority so I have been single many times over the years. The last time I was single for 10 years before I got married again, no big deal to me. I am quite comfortable being with myself so I don't rely on someone else to entertain me or make me happy.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:33 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No one looks 20 years younger than they actually are no matter what they think or anyone tells them.

As far as being with someone constantly I have never made having a relationship, boyfriend or husband a top priority so I have been single many times over the years. The last time I was single for 10 years before I got married again, no big deal to me. I am quite comfortable being with myself so I don't rely on someone else to entertain me or make me happy.
One of the biggest reasons I admire you CSD610!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
For the majority of my late teen/adult life I've had partner. I spent two years with no interest in dating after my first husband passed away, a couple month breaks in between others. I really enjoyed those single times, but not as much as being in a good relationship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I spent my twenties dating casually with no exclusive SO. My thirties, though, apart from a few months, I've always had a partner.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I just turned 40 two wks ago, but I still look & feel like a mid to late 20 something...however, definitely mature character-wise (I was mature back when I was actually in my 20s...never did anything crazy, anything I regret, etc.)

I'm not married yet (plan to be engaged probably this year), but I was just thinking, I've never been without a SO since I was 18. You're probably thinking that I must have had tons of SOs back-to-back. Actually, I've only had TWO (yes 2) SOs. I'm just the type who likes commitment & long-lasting relationships & when something works, I like to stick with it. I'm not saying that's good. That's just how things turned out in my life.

When I broke up (mutually) w/ SO #1 (without tears, no depressed period of being in a funk, etc.), I had already met SO #2, so we just started dating right after & have been together ever since.

Anyone else never really been alone/single their entire adult life? I assume my situation's very rare.
I'm not sure what "look and feel like a mid to late 20 something" has to do with it....are you sure you're wanting to be married? Most folks who are engaged don't have their looks/age ratio at the top of their mind! Also, the fact that you're talking about never having been single/alone in your life screams to me that you're wondering about "jumping" in to this. Maybe you really WANT to do something crazy? Better figure this out before you're hitched!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships