Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
If your significant other or someone on a date tells you they arent a good communicator, do you consider it a major red flag?
It tells me they don't understand how to communicate to myself to others.

"Why" that is determines the red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Yes, I would consider it a red flag. But everyone communicates differently - and one of the biggest parts of being a good communicator is putting forth the effort.

And communication is of the utmost importance in a relationship. Think of it as pretty much the foundation for a healthy relationship.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Huge!!

Anyone who answers no has never been in a successful relationship.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
If your significant other or someone on a date tells you they arent a good communicator, do you consider it a major red flag?
Not necessarily. I think what people mean when they say this is that it takes time for them to become comfortable enough to open up. Some people are very open. They'll tell you everything on their mind even though you just met. But others are more private. They need more time to build up a trust.

I tend to be a bit weary of people who say they're great at communicating. Too often, what that really means is they love to talk, even about stuff you'd rather not hear. Communicating is also about knowing how to listen. Sadly, the "good communicators" don't listen. They let you talk, but don't really pay attention to what you're saying. Instead, they're just anxiously awaiting their turn to talk.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Not necessarily. I think what people mean when they say this is that it takes time for them to become comfortable enough to open up. Some people are very open. They'll tell you everything on their mind even though you just met. But others are more private. They need more time to build up a trust.
i kinda mean more about someone that doesn't really tell you when something is bothering them or wrong or how they feel when ur dating?

Old 02-27-2015, 02:19 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I know the answer, but I'm not going to tell you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2015, 02:31 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
i kinda mean more about someone that doesn't really tell you when something is bothering them or wrong or how they feel when ur dating?
There's a good reason humans aren't mind readers. It means we have control over what thoughts we reveal and what we keep to ourselves. Communication isn't always verbal. If my partner is in a bad mood or if they're happy to see me, they usually don't have to say anything. I can tell just by looking at them, seeing their body language or their face. But I get your point. There are people who clam up. Getting them to talk about what's bothering them can be a real pain. But I also think you have to give such people time. Let them decide when they're ready to talk to you. And you know what, not everyone deals with their problems that way. If I have a bad day at work, I don't come home and tell my partner all about it, especially if it's the same set of issues over and over. A lot of times, I'll just go workout, get it out of my system, and then I'll be in a better mood. My partner will know that I'm better and won't care to know what exactly happened at work that put me in a bad mood. I agree that people in relationships should feel comfortable enough to talk to one another about anything. But I also think there's a certain sense of entitlement people feel. "How dare my partner not tell me that his boss got mad at him today? Why does he keep that inside? Why doesn't he just come talk to me?" Do you see the problem? It becomes you being in the dark instead of what it should be about, which is your partners feelings.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Its very important if you can't communicate your want, needs and feelings many misunderstandings will happen.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
Effective communication is essential in all aspects of life. If it's a must on your job, it is even more so within a relationship. To your question, yes it can be improved upon if and when it is lacking and hopefully such a person would take the steps to become better at it in their relationship. Pretty much everyone would red flag such a person.
Apparently, the importance of good communication skills (essential in all aspects of life) has not reached many posters, yet.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 PM

513 posts, read 429,370 times
Communicating is very important in a relationship, as well as listening and understanding each others' view points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships