Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:50 AM

29,773 posts, read 34,503,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
OMG! At 68? Really???

My mom bought herself an iPad for her 75th birthday. She sometimes needs to ask her neighbor how to send emails or post on Facebook, but she loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My mom bought herself an iPad for her 75th birthday. She sometimes needs to ask her neighbor how to send emails or post on Facebook, but she loves it.
LOL... well... like I said... my dad has issues with zippers... so Ipads and the like is dodgy at best.....

Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 AM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We ****canned our home phone line and we have an school flip phone for that...saved 50 bucks a month losing the home land line....

I have a smart phone for work.... ... have email, the whole nine on it... and I got to say... it's nice to have all of the bennies of a smart phone at hand... but... much like the settlers who came here first... we can manage to figure life out without having an app to tell us where the nearest Starbucks is.......

I can't do it. I have lost power too many times in hurricanes and nor-easters. I don't want my phone dependent upon internet service or electrical. Maybe one day when they figure out a better way, but for now, my old landline is the most dependable thing in the house.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My mom is over 80, and I got her a tablet last year. She loves the thing now. She didn't like it at first, but a stylus made all the difference.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Okay, but seriously, we are just talking about a cell phone here. Unlimited talk/text/data plans start around $40/mo. If the OP is a car salesman then he probably needs a cell phone anyway just for work alone, so what's the big deal?
See I think even that is absurd. Anyone that needs unlimited data clearly needs to stay at home - unless they need it for their job.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM

52,387 posts, read 52,861,348 times
Quote:
I can't do it. I have lost power too many times in hurricanes and nor-easters. I don't want my phone dependent upon internet service or electrical. Maybe one day when they figure out a better way, but for now, my old landline is the most dependable thing in the house.
More dependable then the cell...

Did you know that they both ride on the same infrastructure....... LOL....any major break in the ***** and we're all hosed.....

Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
More dependable then the cell...

Did you know that they both ride on the same infrastructure....... LOL....any major break in the ***** and we're all hosed.....
My landline is copper. Not sure that is the same is it? But things like this really bug me:

Verizon accused of refusing to fix broken landline phone service | Ars Technica

How they can say that the digital service is "more reliable" is beyond me.

This is a great article on exactly that.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/op...-lifeline.html

Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
So, I've been thinking about this (for a few minutes - not like hours or anything) - and I think that all this media and texting and everything has changed us in such a way that it's kind of hard to change back. Back when I was in college, nobody had cell phones. And sometimes it was really hard to get a hold of people or to make plans. Sometimes you would end up trying to meet up with someone and miss them all night. Sometimes you wouldn't be able to talk to someone for days. And you just dealt with it - but it could be frustrating. Now - when you think of someone - you can text them or call them - and if they are free, they can text you or talk to you no matter where they are. If they don't want to be bothered, they simply ignore the text or the call. But since everyone is so readily available, I think it's hard to then date someone who isn't readily available. Honestly, if I could only talk to someone when they were at home, I'd probably feel like I wasn't that important to them. And it's simply because of what I'm used to. I'm used to my boyfriend (now my husband) wanting to text with me or talk to me whenever he had a chance to do so. I'm used to this - and it would be hard to go from this kind of relationship to being with someone the I could only talk to once in awhile.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:12 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,798 times
Quote:
See I think even that is absurd. Anyone that needs unlimited data clearly needs to stay at home - unless they need it for their job.
Why? It's not like you pay more and the only way to go cheaper is to go prepaid and pay per minute, but that won't usually be cheaper.

See:

https://www.metropcs.com/cell-plans/plans.html
Cell Phone Plans | Cheap Cell Phone Plans & Unlimited Data | T-Mobile
Get the best Cell Phone Plans with Sprint

The catch is the data flow is slowed once you exceed some amount, but the cheapest plans have unlimited everything.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, I've been thinking about this (for a few minutes - not like hours or anything) - and I think that all this media and texting and everything has changed us in such a way that it's kind of hard to change back. Back when I was in college, nobody had cell phones. And sometimes it was really hard to get a hold of people or to make plans. Sometimes you would end up trying to meet up with someone and miss them all night. Sometimes you wouldn't be able to talk to someone for days. And you just dealt with it - but it could be frustrating. Now - when you think of someone - you can text them or call them - and if they are free, they can text you or talk to you no matter where they are. If they don't want to be bothered, they simply ignore the text or the call. But since everyone is so readily available, I think it's hard to then date someone who isn't readily available. Honestly, if I could only talk to someone when they were at home, I'd probably feel like I wasn't that important to them. And it's simply because of what I'm used to. I'm used to my boyfriend (now my husband) wanting to text with me or talk to me whenever he had a chance to do so. I'm used to this - and it would be hard to go from this kind of relationship to being with someone the I could only talk to once in awhile.
I guess it's just different strokes. That would actually be preferable for me. I am so busy I'd rather wait to talk until the end of my day anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships