Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,854,811 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkGNU_YaZg
This could to you if you decide get back with someone who has hurt you physically.

Last edited by Sommie789; 03-16-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 11:40 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,227,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCA View Post
I felt very safe with him up until that moment. It shocked me to the core because it is NOT like him. I trusted him with my life. That is why I am trying to understand if this was just a once in a blue moon incident, or if this is part of his personality that just came to light after that wedding night, a part I didn't know about for 3 years.
Three years is often when the mask starts to slip. It's long enough to have some water under the bridge and start taking someone for granted, like, "She already invested time in me, so she's not going to leave if I'm an ahole."

And this is how it starts. A shove becomes a slap. A slap becomes a punch. A punch becomes a kick. A kick becomes a beat-down. A beat-down becomes you in the hospital.

Or dead.

I wouldn't stick around. I'd break up with him, whether it's 3 months, 3 years, or 3 decades. I'm a pretty forgiving person (too forgiving, actually, but I'm working on that), but violence represents a line that once crossed, there's no going back.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,316,072 times
I have worked with the elderly who share experiences of DV. One stayed with a husband for decades and lived through abuse. She is happy in her 70's that he is dead and can't hit her any longer. Another stayed with a man for 33 years, until her children were grown, then she left, not looking back. There have been a handful of people where this occurred during marriage and the husband cleaned up. Most of the persons I've spoken with were clear in their convictions, ID'd abuse for what it was, and didn't look back after the door was closed. I've spoken with hundreds of persons about good marriages. This is what I have culled through those contacts.

You have no commitment to this individual, though you have 3 years together. You saw something in an unusual circumstance. What does three years mean in the life of a relationship? From developmental terms, we age and progress in multiple ways. I have never seen an action that is a mistake. There are no coincidences. This event came to fruition after 3 years. Past behavior is an indicator of future behavior. Tolerance of any violence should be zero. It cannot be eradicated otherwise, especially since you are dating. May he learn to never do this in another relationship. I would not take him back.

This should be the first thing you talk about in your next relationship, that you have zero-tolerance for abuse. You should get help in debriefing from this experience. Don't look back. I would disregard any calls or attempts at contact from him. I would tell your parents your decision. Let the chips fall where they may. He stepped over the line. There is no tolerance for the same. There are few benefits in returning that you can't find somewhere else with someone else that WILL NOT make violence part of their interpersonal repertoire.

There are no regrets, only freedom.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,510,462 times
Yup leave him. I cannot even dream raising my hand on my wife or children or anyone. If I really get mad I may break something but never raise my hand on anyone. And yes I agree - this time he pushed you next time it will be worse and it won't take 3 years either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships