Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,097,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Just absolute disregard and total lack of empathy for 50% of the human race is what's on display in your post.
I see none of that in her post.

She's not talking about 50% of the human race. The men with the worries that you're talking about are far less than 50% of the human population. They're probably a small, but vocal, minority.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 PM

376 posts, read 318,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Actually, I think the point is that if all you care about is money - marry someone who makes the same as you and don't have children. If you want a family, then you need to put your family before your wallet. Since that doesn't seem like something you want to do - then you would look for someone who doesn't want children and will promise to always make as much as you do or will keep all finances separate.
The one and only reason I would marry would be to have children.

But I'm 35, no prospects and don't really want to be an "old dad." And that says nothing about the pool of available women.

So the question is probably moot anyway.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I see none of that in her post.

She's not talking about 50% of the human race. The men with the worries that you're talking about are far less than 50% of the human population. They're probably a small, but vocal, minority.
Keep telling yourself that. What do I know about, you know, what guys think?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,097,167 times
Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. What do I know about, you know, what guys think?
You know what guys like you think.

I don't hang out with the kinds of women that the "men's blogs" say are the main type of of women that exist these days. You know what I mean... they're only looking to get a high status "alpha male," they're quick to divorce, they tend to be more promiscuous in their youth (but only grace the dashing bad boy alpha males with their favors) and so forth and so on.

But these men's blogs want us to think that most women are like this. I don't know any women like this! The women I know aren't looking to screw anyone over. They don't view men as the enemy or someone to take advantage of.

But what do I know, I'm just a woman!

You see what you want to see, and you're more likely to hang out with those who think like you do. This is the case with all of us.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM

102,340 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:
The one and only reason I would marry would be to have children.

But I'm 35, no prospects and don't really want to be an "old dad." And that says nothing about the pool of available women.

So the question is probably moot anyway.
This is hilarious! People keep saying that--the pool of available women isn't "quality". Meanwhile, a lot of women are saying the same thing about the pool of available men. This is at all age-demographics, too. As I've said before, if only all those disgruntled "quality" men could get together with the "quality" women, they might get somewhere.

Though I wouldn't hold my breath. One begins to suspect that these complainers aren't as "quality" as they'd like to think.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
You know what guys like you think.

I don't hang out with the kinds of women that the "men's blogs" say are the main type of of women that exist these days. You know what I mean... they're only looking to get a high status "alpha male," they're quick to divorce, they tend to be more promiscuous in their youth (but only grace the dashing bad boy alpha males with their favors) and so forth and so on.

But these men's blogs want us to think that most women are like this. I don't know any women like this! The women I know aren't looking to screw anyone over. They don't view men as the enemy or someone to take advantage of.

But what do I know, I'm just a woman!

You see what you want to see, and you're more likely to hang out with those who think like you do. This is the case with all of us.
You've made a whole pile of assumptions there, most of them wrong. But, anyway...

My business brings me into contact and friendships with lots and lots of people, different kinds of people, mostly men.

I have a feeling you'd be surprised what men speak about and how the speak about it when the fairer sex is absent.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:41 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,840,413 times
Quote:
You've made a whole pile of assumptions there, most of them wrong. But, anyway...

My business brings me into contact and friendships with lots and lots of people, different kinds of people, mostly men.

I have a feeling you'd be surprised what men speak about and how the speak about it when the fairer sex is absent.
I believe that because I often see/hear some men put up a lot of bravado around other men and act like they are tough as nails and unbending to the women in their lives. But in the company of the women they love, they sing a different tune. I've seen it enough times to know that it's nothing more than a strange posturing some immature men do, between men, so that they look like a big bad ass.

Where I disagree with you is about which version is the false one. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you seem to be implying that men are not being their genuine selves in their most intimate relationships. That they put up a facade with their significant others. If that were true, that is a pretty pathetic way to live your life. But I don't believe it for a second.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I believe that because I often see/hear some men put up a lot of bravado around other men and act like they are tough as nails and unbending to the women in their lives. But in the company of the women they love, they sing a different tune. I've seen it enough times to know that it's nothing more than a strange posturing some immature men do, between men, so that they look like a big bad ass.

Where I disagree with you is about which version is the false one. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you seem to be implying that men are not being their genuine selves in their most intimate relationships. That they put up a facade with their significant others. If that were true, that is a pretty pathetic way to live your life. But I don't believe it for a second.
Yeah, I could've predicted this post.

Woman=right. Man=wrong.

Of course women know men better than men themselves. /sarc

Of course they're putting up the façade for the ladies in their lives....you have something we need.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:55 PM

102,340 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post

We had a regular poster here who worked in a male industry in an office where she was the only woman. She was constantly shocked and offended by how the guys bragged to each other about the affairs they were having behind their wives' backs. It would be hard to say for sure if that was all bravado and lies, but she had reason to believe it was all true.

However, she lived in a strange little backwater where community values were highly traditional, within a liberal region. There are plenty of guys who don't talk that way with each other, much less treat their marriages like a joke.

So what I'm saying is that the world is full of all kinds of people. Smuggler moves in certain circles. You and I move in completely different circles. Not all guys think alike. Not all women do, either. Fortunately, humans are infinitely diverse, and can't be pigeonholed. Everyone's free to find and hang out with their preferred type.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:48 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,092,199 times
When people proclaim that there are "no quality men/women" around they are mostly expressing their own frustration in not finding someone they have compatibility and chemistry with.

Although the reasons for that are varied and many, it doesn't mean there are no quality singles on the market in general. It just means certain individuals have found it a struggle to couple up.

Oh, and not all guys stand around bragging about their exploits and measuring themselves to each other. Some do, some don't. I know tons of guys who do not talk about that stuff at the water cooler, who respect their significant others, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships