Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
A lot of us can manage many aspects of our lives, while failing miserably at other parts.

So, my opinion is that the guys who are inordinately bitter about women are either meeting all the wrong women (living in an area where it's slim pickings), they are choosing the wrong women (though are in denial about this), or are scaring away the right women (though in denial about this). Instead of exploring why they are having these failures and problems with women, they point to the women.

Women do this too, blaming men for being all pigs, while they themselves are making all sorts of mistakes and bad choices. We all do it. Bad things "just happen" to us and we can't figure out why!
I think that women who are bitter about men sound almost exactly like men who are bitter about women. A few particulars are different, but the tone and the bitterness and hopelessness are the same. It seems to be more prevalent among men though, at least on-line. I suspect the internet amplifies it, because I don't hear so much of it in my day to day life. It's still disconcerting.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, they're not. Because as timberline pointed out, divorces among first marriages only happen to 1/3 of those marriages, and of those divorces, only around 10% are contentious. And some of those are settled out of court. So compared to the marriage total, it's a small number.
It takes some really special logic to say that because most people won't get divorced most men that do divorce won't lose out. To further muddle the water you and Timberline are also arguing that an agreed upon settlement won't result in the guy losing, but there is no basis for that conclusion.

Quote:
The chances are very high of not being taken advantage of in divorce.
Based on what? Most women are married to guys that make more than they do.

Quote:
The chances are fairly high of not even reaching divorce in the first place.
So what? Nobody was even talking about the chances of reaching divorce except for Timberline.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
As a Millennial male. Being married in this day and age is a disadvantage. Especially considering that without prenup. The courts would side with the woman during divorce. I'd rather go my own way.
I'm a Millennial, and I say this is the best generation for getting married. This generation has the highest percentage of educated, awesome women moving ahead with careers. They don't need to take dudes to the cleaners, bc they're in the same jobs and professions that we are. You're gonna miss out on a lot of awesomeness if you GYOW, man, but, whatever. Do what ya gotta do. Like I always say, if you drop out, more for me!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think that women who are bitter about men sound almost exactly like men who are bitter about women. A few particulars are different, but the tone and the bitterness and hopelessness are the same. It seems to be more prevalent among men though, at least on-line. I suspect the internet amplifies it, because I don't hear so much of it in my day to day life. It's still disconcerting.
It is.

I don't hear this level of bitterness, from men or women, in real life either. A lot of "extremisms" are only witnessed online.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:28 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,830 times
Quote:
It is.

I don't hear this level of bitterness, from men or women, in real life either. A lot of "extremisms" are only witnessed online.
Some of them are punks who hide behind a computer screen.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Based on what? Most women are married to guys that make more than they do.
You keep chanting this like a mantra. What generation are you in? The people I see getting married make pretty much the same. If you're arguing that divorce isn't good for Millennial men, it's important to know who those dudes are marrying. It's also important to know that most won't divorce, which kinda blows a hole in the claim that marriage isn't worth it.

I'm getting the feeling this isn't really about marriage. It's a rant about women camouflaged as a rant about marriage and divorce. The divorce part of it just doesn't hold up. If y'all have a problem with women, say so upfront. Don't hide behind fake divorce stats, and make the discussion about something else.

But, like I said--you dudes do your thing. More for me, and my friends.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Some of them are punks who hide behind a computer screen.
They prob'ly don't even have jobs. The women they're resentful of are the ones with the high salary jobs. Some of these guys couldn't get taken to the cleaners if they tried. They don't have anything to clean. lol

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You keep chanting this like a mantra. What generation are you in? The people I see getting married make pretty much the same. If you're arguing that divorce isn't good for Millennial men, it's important to know who those dudes are marrying. It's also important to know that most won't divorce, which kinda blows a hole in the claim that marriage isn't worth it.

I'm getting the feeling this isn't really about marriage. It's a rant about women camouflaged as a rant about marriage and divorce. The divorce part of it just doesn't hold up. If y'all have a problem with women, say so upfront. Don't hide behind fake divorce stats, and make the discussion about something else.

I don't know anything about the divorce or income statistics, so I can't add much to that. But I do know several couples where the wife made more than the husband. I also know that there are marriages where the wife made more, and the husband was "uncomfortable" with that. And, I hear of men who end up with wives who earn much less, but who cares, as long as she's hot. Only later do the husbands "suddenly discover" that their wives enjoy spending his money a little too much. The warning signs were always there, but the men chose not to see. When they do finally see, they blame the women for being what they were from the start.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
And, I hear of men who end up with wives who earn much less, but who cares, as long as she's hot. Only later do the husbands "suddenly discover" that their wives enjoy spending his money a little too much. The warning signs were always there, but the men chose not to see. When they do finally see, they blame the women for being what they were from the start.
Hot can definitely be expensive, I've seen that play out. And like you said, the red flags are usually there from the start.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
You keep chanting this like a mantra.
Certain posters are engaging in pretzel logic, so it bears repeating. Certain posters think that the guys that divorce won't lose out just because most college educated couples don't have a high divorce rate (20%). It's nonsensical! The divorce rate could be 2% and sill have nothing whatsoever to do with the odds of whether one party or the other has the potential to lose out in a divorce.

Quote:
What generation are you in? The people I see getting married make pretty much the same.
Millennial.
Not according to Pew Research.

Quote:
If you're arguing that divorce isn't good for Millennial men, it's important to know who those dudes are marrying. It's also important to know that most won't divorce, which kinda blows a hole in the claim that marriage isn't worth it.
That's not my argument. In other threads I have argued that marriage doesn't make sense unless you need a claim against the other person's assets. I have also stated that I don't think marriage will ever make sense for me until they lower the tax rates/get rid of the marriage penalty.

However, in this thread, I am arguing that the odds of losing in a divorce are not minimal when the vast majority of women are married to guys that make more than they do. Sure, it is possible that the husband is a spendthrift and the wife is thrifty, but that's not the norm.

Quote:

The gyow crowd is gay, that's why they don't want women, but that has nothing to do with me and I would appreciate it if you drop the insinuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships