Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,220,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Could you point us to all the "nice people" who are also part of the MGTOW movement? I keep on hearing some people here defend the MGTOWs, saying "they're not all like that," but I don't see where they are. Or who they are.

I ask this, because when I look online, the MGTOW guys all look like massive losers, bitter, petty, pitiful losers. I'd think that non-losers wouldn't feel comfortable associating with them. So my question is, how do "nice people" who are not losers still belong to this movement that seems to be mostly identified with loserism?

I've asked a couple of times now, for an example of a website or group where the non-losers hang out and still are identifying themselves strongly as MGTOW. No one has given me anything yet.

When I ask this question, I don't mean, a few good guys that you happen to know that still hang out with the MGTOW losers, or some small minor group of non-loser MGTOW types that none of us are going to easily find on our own, but something big and noticeable and vocal, and yet separate from the creepy MGTOW misogynists.
How about men who just don't have time for a woman in their life ? My friends work tirelessly on their PhD research and MBA projects to design and market innovative products that could end up being beneficial to people as a whole. That takes lots of hard work and time, and its hard to manage a relationship when one wants to accomplish such a monstrous task. Many women have a similar feeling as well, but over time our society makes them think in such a way that they are better off marrying. Still, a few hardy women fight for their desires, and I respect them for such courage.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
How about men who just don't have time for a woman in their life. My friends work tirelessly on their PhD research and MBA projects to design and market innovative products that could end up being beneficial to people as a whole. That takes lots of hard work and time, and its hard to manage a relationship when one wants to accomplish such a monstrous task.
It's not unusual for grad students to focus on their studies and work. That doesn't count as MGTOW.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I know some MGTOW in real life. However, they don't know anything about the movement (that I know of). They just decided to not get married and, for the most part, to not deal with women. They're all pretty cool guys.

Men that identify with the MGTOW movement are not really MGTOW (men going their own way). They still obsess over women and constantly post about how much they hate them. True MGTOW aren't involved in the movement and are simply apathetic to women.

I would compare the MGTOW movement to radical feminists.
You've got a good point there. Both these groups are likely a vocal minority, making a big deal and trying to get a lot of attention, but not representing the rest of men or womenkind.

The type of guys you talk about have probably been around for a long time, and I don't have any problem with them at all. There are plenty of women who are the same, not married, not interested, and don't feel they are missing out. And, like the guys you describe, they are busy living their lives and aren't saying how much they hate the opposite sex.

The "official" movement is a whole different thing. This is where the losers come into the picture.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,220,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not unusual for grad students to focus on their studies and work. That doesn't count as MGTOW.
Well, the guys I'm with, don't really hate on women. They just don't want to have a relationship with them.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Pretty minimal? Most women are married to a guy that makes more than they do, so the odds are actually pretty good.
No, they're not. Because as timberline pointed out, divorces among first marriages only happen to 1/3 of those marriages, and of those divorces, only around 10% are contentious. And some of those are settled out of court. So compared to the marriage total, it's a small number. The chances are very high of not being taken advantage of in divorce. The chances are fairly high of not even reaching divorce in the first place.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
How about men who just don't have time for a woman in their life. My friends work tirelessly on their PhD research and MBA projects to design and market innovative products that could end up being beneficial to people as a whole. That takes lots of hard work and time, and its hard to manage a relationship when one wants to accomplish such a monstrous task.
If that's how you define MGTOW, then there are many WGTOW too. A whole lot of people GTOW. But do they share the same reasons as the "official" MGTOW?

Are they part of the group that is writing blog posts and declaring their opinions, and being interviewed on GQ? Are they in agreement with those who are writing the posts and being interviewed? I somehow doubt it.

When the general public thinks of MGTOW, they think of the people spouting off opinions and running the websites—in other words, the ones who came up with the title and the ones who identify with the title. They aren't thinking of that uncle who never got married, but who didn't spend all his free time complaining about how evil women are.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well, the guys I'm with, don't really hate on women. They just don't want to have a relationship with them.
That's like calling grad student women who are equally busy "WGTOW". Busy with school is just busy with school. It's not a movement, lol.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,351,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
You've got a good point there. Both these groups are likely a vocal minority, making a big deal and trying to get a lot of attention, but not representing the rest of men or womenkind.

The type of guys you talk about have probably been around for a long time, and I don't have any problem with them at all. There are plenty of women who are the same, not married, not interested, and don't feel they are missing out. And, like the guys you describe, they are busy living their lives and aren't saying how much they hate the opposite sex.

The "official" movement is a whole different thing. This is where the losers come into the picture.
There seem to be a lot of men who are, lets say, disaffected. Why do you think that is? I'm not talking about guys on the fringes like men struggling with substance abuse or chronically unemployed men. I'm asking about men like some who post here who appear to be able to manage many aspects of their lives, and yet are kind of bat**** bitter where women are concerned. I know you can't offer a definitive answer, but I'm curious about your opinion.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,301,901 times
As a Millennial male. Being married in this day and age is a disadvantage. Especially considering that without prenup. The courts would side with the woman during divorce. I'd rather go my own way.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
There seem to be a lot of men who are, lets say, disaffected. Why do you think that is? I'm not talking about guys on the fringes like men struggling with substance abuse or chronically unemployed men. I'm asking about men like some who post here who appear to be able to manage many aspects of their lives, and yet are kind of bat**** bitter where women are concerned. I know you can't offer a definitive answer, but I'm curious about your opinion.
A lot of us can manage many aspects of our lives, while failing miserably at other parts.

So, my opinion is that the guys who are inordinately bitter about women are either meeting all the wrong women (living in an area where it's slim pickings), they are choosing the wrong women (though are in denial about this), or are scaring away the right women (though in denial about this). Instead of exploring why they are having these failures and problems with women, they point to the women.

Women do this too, blaming men for being all pigs, while they themselves are making all sorts of mistakes and bad choices. We all do it. Bad things "just happen" to us and we can't figure out why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships