Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,878,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Certain posters are engaging in pretzel logic, so it bears repeating. Certain posters think that the guys that divorce won't lose out just because most college educated couples don't have a high divorce rate (20%).

Millennial.
Not according to Pew Research.

That's not my argument. In other threads I have argued that marriage doesn't make sense unless you need a claim against the other person's assets. I have also stated that I don't think marriage will ever make sense for me until they lower the tax rates/get rid of the marriage penalty.

However, in this thread, I am arguing that the odds of losing in a divorce are not minimal when the vast majority of women are married to guys that make more than they do. Sure, it is possible that the husband is a spendthrift and the wife is thrifty, but that's not the norm.

The gyow crowd is gay, that's why they don't want women, but that has nothing to do with me and I would appreciate it if you drop the insinuation.
If you're gonna keep repeating that claim, you'll need to back it up. You say you're onto some research from Pew. When were you thinking of posting a link to that? The next blue moon? Now would be a good time.

Seriously? I've never heard MGTOW was gay dudes. The insinuation is in your own mind. Don't get weird on us, man.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,223,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
They prob'ly don't even have jobs. The women they're resentful of are the ones with the high salary jobs. Some of these guys couldn't get taken to the cleaners if they tried. They don't have anything to clean. lol
Why do you assume that we are not who we say we are?

If I decided to stay in the military, I wouldn't be able to just marry anyone. After 10 years of marriage, my spouse would have access to at least half of my pension upon divorce. Many women divorce their husbands right after the 10 year mark for this reason alone. I've seen it happen many times.

And there are plenty of women out there that chase military men for this specific reason.

Some of us have a lot to lose if we marry the wrong person.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,291,173 times
Quote:
If you're gonna keep repeating that claim, you'll need to back it up. You say you're onto some research from Pew. When were you thinking of posting a link to that? The next blue moon? Now would be a good time.
It's fairly common knowledge and has been posted numerous times.

15% of married moms are the bread winner, which means (drum-roll) that 85% of married moms are married to someone that makes more. [>50% is a majority.]

Breadwinner Moms | Pew Research Center

22% of all wives (includes seniors) make more than their husband, which means 78% are married to a guy that makes more.

Women, Men and the New Economics of Marriage | Pew Research Center

Quote:
Seriously? I've never heard MGTOW was gay dudes. The insinuation is in your own mind. Don't get weird on us, man.
Why do you think they don't want women? Only male homosexuals don't want women.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,096,177 times
Quote:
Why do you think they don't want women? Only male homosexuals don't want women.
Men Going Their Own Way - RationalWiki
"Basically, MGTOWers buy into the same rhetoric MRAs spread ("society is actually biased against men, not women!" etc.), but instead of taking any sort of action, they have vowed to stay away from women altogether, or at least stop forming any sort of relationships with them. In other words, it's a hilarious analog to the lesbian separatism movement, but without homosexuality (they don't believe men should "become gay" as an element of further rebellion). It's unclear if the movement has any power beyond "disgruntled d-bags talking s*** about women (in general) on the Internet." As a general rule, the reaction of sane people is "Sure, do go your own way and stop whining already!""

Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,291,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Men Going Their Own Way - RationalWiki
"Basically, MGTOWers buy into the same rhetoric MRAs spread ("society is actually biased against men, not women!" etc.), but instead of taking any sort of action, they have vowed to stay away from women altogether, or at least stop forming any sort of relationships with them. In other words, it's a hilarious analog to the lesbian separatism movement, but without homosexuality (they don't believe men should "become gay" as an element of further rebellion). It's unclear if the movement has any power beyond "disgruntled d-bags talking s*** about women (in general) on the Internet." As a general rule, the reaction of sane people is "Sure, do go your own way and stop whining already!""
So maybe they are in the closet. No straight guy is going to be able to leave women alone.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
So maybe they are in the closet. No straight guy is going to be able to leave women alone.
Or, maybe their viewpoint of women is so repulsive that they have trouble finding a woman who will stick with them (unless they go to some impoverished country and make an offer some poor girl can't refuse). But rather than admit that they fail, they say that they are "going their own way" and place the blame on those awful, icky women.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,365,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaguy04 View Post
Yes it is one of the male paradoxes. The more successful men tend to look for an attractive good wife and mother and care less about what she does for a living. Hence the 'trophy wife' concept. In so doing he sets himself up to possibly lose more if the marriage doesn't work out.

Your last paragraph also is a good example of why men are avoiding marriage. That guy you know married a woman that never worked during their marriage and now doesn't have to work because she is living off of him even though they are not married anymore. It is a parasitic relationship now. I'd like to know what his opinion is on marriage now :P
He had a 2-year affair with a younger woman and he's a selfish pig. He even knows this. I think he's miserable, but he's got more than enough money to support himself.

He wanted her at home. He's a bit of a control freak. You cannot keep your wife home with promises of a life together till death do you part, then reasonably expect her to hop out into the workforce at almost 50 years of age and make good money after a couple decades of raising your kids and being out of the workforce because you decided you'd like a younger model and NOT expect to keep her up.

Come on. LOL.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Yeah I'm sure that happens a lot. You wouldn't have a bridge to sell me would you....
I walked. I didn't want a settlement. I just wanted to get out of an abusive marriage. Some things are worth more than money.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You cannot keep your wife home with promises of a life together till death do you part, then reasonably expect her to hop out into the workforce at almost 50 years of age and make good money after a couple decades of raising your kids and being out of the workforce because you decided you'd like a younger model and NOT expect to keep her up.

Come on. LOL.
I don't think every marriage is like this, but a generic example:

Husband and wife both are educated and have potential for a good career. When they begin to plan children, it is mutually agreed upon that the wife stay home with the kids. As a result of this, she is not in the workforce, and is not able to advance her career. Her husband, freed from the bulk of child rearing responsibilities and other responsibilities in the household, can devote more energy to furthering his career. Their children benefit, and they save money (no day care) by having the mom stay at home. This is a completely mutual decision. They both think it's best for the kids and the family.

So in ten or twenty years, the wife is that many years behind in whatever career she might have had. Meanwhile, the husband is flourishing in his career, unencumbered by some of the responsibilities that might have fallen on his shoulders had his wife worked full time.

Then they divorce, and the wife is where? Having to almost start from scratch, a decade or two out of the workforce, middle aged perhaps? Meanwhile, the husband hasn't had any interruption to his work record.

And somehow, there will be men who say she's a "parasite" if she gets support from her ex?

He knew the score going in, and this is what he agreed to and wanted at the time.

Probably it wouldn't do for the ex-wife to not seek some employment, when her kids were all grown and out of the house. But whatever job she's able to get would be way less than what she would have earned if she'd never stayed at home to care for those kids. Which is something that her husband wanted her to do.

If he decides later on that he wants a younger model, he can't just throw away this "older model" and say "See ya!" as if she's nothing more than hired help.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I don't think every marriage is like this, but a generic example:

Husband and wife both are educated and have potential for a good career. When they begin to plan children, it is mutually agreed upon that the wife stay home with the kids. As a result of this, she is not in the workforce, and is not able to advance her career. Her husband, freed from the bulk of child rearing responsibilities and other responsibilities in the household, can devote more energy to furthering his career. Their children benefit, and they save money (no day care) by having the mom stay at home. This is a completely mutual decision. They both think it's best for the kids and the family.

So in ten or twenty years, the wife is that many years behind whatever career she might have had. Meanwhile, the husband is flourishing in his career, unencumbered by some of the responsibilities that might have fallen on his shoulders had his wife worked full time.

Then they divorce, and the wife is where? Having to almost start from scratch, a decade or two out of the workforce, middle aged perhaps? Meanwhile, the husband hasn't had any interruption to his work record.

And somehow, there will be men who say she's a "parasite" if she gets support from her ex?

He knew the score going in, and this is what he agreed to and wanted at the time.

No, probably it wouldn't do for the ex-wife to not seek some employment, when her kids were all grown and out of the house. But whatever job she's able to get would be way less than what she would have earned if she'd never stayed at home to care for those kids. Which is something that her husband wanted her to do.

If he decides later on that he wants a younger model, he can't just throw away this "older model" and say "See ya!" as if she's nothing more than hired help.
Exactly. You just described the scenario with the couple I mentioned. She's a really sweet woman. She's already thinking about potential ways to re-enter the workforce, but realistically? She's been out far too long to make what she would've made if she never had stopped working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships