Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The way a man treats his mother is an indicator of the way he'll treat his wife.
Yes 33 49.25%
No 9 13.43%
Possibly but not necessarily 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone assume that mom has been a great mom. Maybe she's mean, controlling, abusive, a user and a liar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushandnotbeCrushed View Post
I know a guy who treats his mom a lot better than his wife; it's beyond night and day.
That seems to be a cultural thing. Certain cultures definitely value their mothers above all else, and their wives are left at the bottom of the totem pole.

My boyfriend and his mom have an amazing relationship. They are like best friends. His mom as cool as hell, too.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 AM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
I would hope a girlfriend or wife would examine how he treats mom. Equally, I'd hope he studies how she treats Daddy.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:18 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Also watch how his dad treats his mom, because that will have been a major influence on him.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:26 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Pay attention to how he treats his neighbors, brothers, ex girlfriends, co workers, uncles dog.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:42 AM

508 posts, read 889,784 times
These are all words of wisdom. I'll never forget I was supposed to meet my ex-fiance while we were still together at the Square. There a local bum (a friendly and a harmless bloke) asked me for some money. I had previously given him some because he wasn't a druggie and needed it. So I handed him my last bit of cash and my ex-fiance crept up behind me. I was startled. Then and there I think she realized I was a good guy. I would have preferred her not having catching me.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRSpooner View Post
I would hope a girlfriend or wife would examine how he treats mom. Equally, I'd hope he studies how she treats Daddy.
Well as other posters have pointed out about mothers, not everyone had the greatest dad in the world either.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
Not just his mother, but his father and siblings if he has any. The way he treats his friends, cousins and everyone else outside his immediate family is not as good as a judgment on how he will treat you (his future family). Learned my lesson.

Even if his parents were jerks, how did he grow after that? Does he live in contempt or moved on and made a better life for himself?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I think the way a mother treats her son influences how a man thinks about women, generally, but how he treats a partner is probably better seen in his relationship that his dad had with his mother. The two also can interact in powerful ways. If a guy is closer to his mother than his father and his father acts disrespectfully or abusively toward his mother, he may end up treating women with greater respect than his dad treats his mom.

I think it's generally complicated.

It is also irrelevant to any partner the son has. What matters is how he treats his partner, no matter how he learned this. To look for causes in the family is only a thin line away from trying to explain away bad treatment.

Best to focus on the man's behavior, here and now, not what "caused" it. There is no clear answer.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,130 times
Let's hit the rewind button: Not necessarily.

Some Mom's are extreme type A (alpha Female, selfish, homewrecker, psychotic, drama) types. If a mother is toxic so to the point that it's a detriment on emotional bottom line, then it makes sense to avoid her until both sides can reach some sort of Christmas Card relationship.

Which brings me to my point -- Some individuals can suffer this kind of abuse and want to treat the girl (and his whole future family) better than his mother. Simply because the love hasn't been there for many years via rolling personality changes, divorce, environmental factors.

Same difference as a thread titled "His/Her Parents are Divorced: Red Flag for Marriage?" It's not cut and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships