Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The way a man treats his mother is an indicator of the way he'll treat his wife.
Yes 33 49.25%
No 9 13.43%
Possibly but not necessarily 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Why would anyone assume that mom has been a great mom. Maybe she's mean, controlling, abusive, a user and a liar?
Still, you would show some kind of respect. Not necessarily being fake or anything but simply showing some respect. A courtesy visit or call to make sure she's alright. Things like that can send the right message too.

Yes, the way a man treats his mother, father, siblings, friends, work, pets, environment, etc. is something women shouldn't ignore when a man is taking her out. It doesn't guarantee anything 100% but at least it gives you an idea.

Last edited by onihC; 03-27-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:33 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Still, you would show some kind of respect. Not necessarily being fake or anything but simply showing some respect. A courtesy visit or call to make sure she's alright.
Been there done that. Pick up the phone, call, have a brief passive aggressive conversation over the phone, lays the guilt in like IV injection. Nothing solved, nothing gained. Ruins your weekend.

Currently my own mother (58) is not speaking with her own mother (82.) So the issue solve is not a panacea.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:00 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If my husband DID have a good relationship with his mom I would be more concerned. You have to look at someone's interactions with everyone in their life, I don't think one snippet would be very telling.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 31,146 times
Thank you everyone for all the different, insightful, and interesting views

Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
The way a person treats an animal, I think is a good indicator

Just the way the person treats others, regardless who they are is enough ....

One guy I work with is rude to the cleaner. I think that's appalling ... And yeah, I judged his character on that...and guess what, he's a wanker.
haha. He wanks.

All men ****.

Those who don't are liars.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Absolutely

Also, I look at the mother to tell me what her daughter is likely to look like when she gets older.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 31,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Also, I look at the mother to tell me what her daughter is likely to look like when she gets older.
Well, thanks God I'll be gorgeous even at 60

Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0phelia View Post
Hello Everyone,

There is a saying that "The way a man treats his mother is an indicator of how he'll treat his wife." I tend to believe this but would not want to judge all men in general.

I am curious of everyone's opinions. Do you believe that all men who do not respect their mothers or treat their mothers badly will treat their wives in the same way? Even, if - suppose - he has a good reason to be on bad terms with his mother?

FYI, I never liked the way my ex-boyfriend treated his mom (oftentimes he'd talk back to her in a very disrespectful way in my presence, and I found it very odd). This was one of the many, many reasons why I left him.

So just curious: do you think all men who disrespect their mothers are bound to do the same to their wives?
No. It depends on how the mom treats the son also. Mothers are not automatically objects of reverence just because they birthed a child. Some of them are complete and utter witches and deserve to be talked back to (if not more than that) I believe a more accurate adage should be, "The way a man treats most people around him is an indicator of how he'll treat his wife. Then lower that some after several years of marriage, and you have an accurate barometer."

Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Theoretically, I was down with this idea when I got married. My husband treated his mom well, deferential to her moods, did things just to make her happy. His dad treated her well also, so I figured he was a good role model.

Turned out that husband placed his mothers needs above mine, repeatedly, and with emphasis. He also competed with me for her attention, which led him to throw me under the bus a few times when things went wrong. She must have thought I was crazy, some of the things he told her I said and did, when he was just covering his own mistakes.

So I think it is a better practice to notice how a man treats ALL other people.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Yes, it's a decent indicator, as is the way he treats animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships