Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO.
Babies, I can understand, especially if it's their first or only child, and the kid is less than a few years old. But after a while, if that's all someone posts, I tend to either scroll right past it or, if it's excessive, unfollow the person. I get that parenthood is important, but if you sacrifice all of your identity to your kids, well, you're boring. I'd rather look at cat pictures.

People who natter on about how much they love their SOs are unfollowed immediately. Happy anniversary, fine, but my friends are all adults and that "I wuv oo poopie poo" stuff is juvenile.

I suggest that you just unfollow these people.

And for heaven's sake, you don't owe anyone grandchildren. That is in the top 3 worst reasons to have kids, right up there with thinking you're producing a caregiver for your old age and "OMG, what if I DON'T have kids? What if I regret it?"

Don't sweat this stuff. Really. You do you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 PM

708 posts, read 823,584 times
Quote:
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?

You have no idea how lucky you are. I am also single and almost everyone I know isn't. I am not concerned with what anyone else is doing or whether people are embarking on new chapters that involve serious relationships etc. Even if everyone is walking along the same road, everyone takes a different path. What you are doing is judging your worth and progression by societies blueprint of conformity and status quo. You need to find your own path and do what you want to do in your own time, no one elses and certainly not societies or facebooks.

You see being single as something unfortunate but I see it as something great and freeing. Maybe our perception colours our world. I used to be like you though, I used to measure myself against other peoples lives until I realised that it was foolish to do so. You may or may not realise the same thing but I hope you do.

The last guy I knew that had your mindset panicked one day and married the first thing he found that was female. He didn't marry for love, he did not think about it for any length of time and he didn't spend time weighing up his compatibility or requirements. Quite soon after he had got married he started trying to shame me for being single. As far as he was concerned he was now like everyone else, part of the team and he no longer had to worry about standing out or being questioned.

You should read the parable of the poisoned well and see if you take anything from that.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
...And just because everyone around you is getting married and some may be having kids, OP, doesn't mean they're making sound decisions. You've done the right thing for you, so far; you've kept yourself out of divorce court, and out of child-support-payments. You're being true to yourself, and harming no one by doing so. Keep on keepin' on. And don't undermine yourself by wishing you were someone else.
So you are saying that everyone who gets married eventually ends up divorced, harming each other, and the husband ends up paying child support?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
So you are saying that everyone who gets married eventually ends up divorced, harming each other, and the husband ends up paying child support?
Did I say that?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did I say that?
Sorry, my mistake. You only implied that's what would happen to the OP if he got married.

Quote:
...you've kept yourself out of divorce court, and out of child-support-payments. You're being true to yourself, and harming no one by doing so...

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Alot of these posts make me wonder about what goes on with my friends besides what gets displayed on facebook.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,338,482 times
Dear OP...I know how you feel because I have been there...I started feeling that way when I was around 23 or 24 everyone from college moved on got married, and then there I was feeling alone and like a failure. My advice is to get out more...make yourself get involved with some hobbies and then you will meet like minded people. Everyone has their own pace in life. For me once I got into late 20's found like minded friends and actually forgot about a lot of my old friends from college and high school. You will get there so don't fret!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Sorry, my mistake. You only implied that's what would happen to the OP if he got married.
No, I didn't at all. That's what you read into it. Own your own projections.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of these posts make me wonder about what goes on with my friends besides what gets displayed on facebook.
It's like those Christmas newsletters some people send. Nobody talks about the time that they had to bail Johnny out of jail, or take Muffy for an abortion so she wouldn't flunk out of school. They just tell you about their summer in France, mom's bridge club, and dad's charitable work in the community, and the school play one of the kids played a supporting role in.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
I'm noticing when I get on Facebook, and in real life, everyone I personally know is either engaged, just married, has a baby, or is buying a house(for the new family). Sure, there's a couple of single people I know but not many. I'm still single after several years unfortunately. I've done a lot of work to improve myself but nothing is happening. My friends and acquaintances are moving into a new chapter in life which involves a serious relationship or family. I'm unfortunately not. Every post i see on facebook is about a baby, or how much they love their SO. I'm honestly feeling like a failure and I voluntarily apologized to my mum for not giving her grandchildren. Who has been through/going through feeling like this?
My God, are you kidding? Give it another 5 or 10 years and 2 out of 3 will be on their second marriage, divorced, widow, widower, and hitting all the dating sites. Almost like the tortoise and the hare. Trust me on this. Sit back and watch.

Besides, you are better off to have no spouse than a bad one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships