Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,245,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then you don't need to be dating anyone.

stop being so mean.

I have only just been diagnosed, AFTER I met him.

I cant go through my entire life alone, well I probably can, but people with all sorts of issues manage a relationship so why should I be excluded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 03:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I have an issue with this.

Women of a certain age have been taught that the MEN do the calling.

Women of an even younger age have been taught (anyone remember He's Just Not That Into You?) that the men will call if they are interested.

So here we sit, staring at the phone, unwilling to seem desperate (God forbid) or prying at whatever FAR MORE IMPORTANT event said Man has going on in His Life.

Our lives apparently, do not need enquiring on by the Men, being so unimportant in comparison I suppose.

"Unwilling to seem desperate??????????"

Sounds to me like someone that is overthinking and has fear of being rejected.

Doesn't matter how busy a man is with work...family....etc.....if his lady calls....AND HE IS TRULY INTERESTED.....he is going to respond.

Call the guy. If he doesn't return the call then you have your answer and can move on.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
We've been dating 2 months, intimate, he's 60 I'm 54. So last weekend we spent a fun day in my hometown, sight seeing, art galleries, had dinner then back home for a movie etc...The anniversary of his wife's death was wednesday; she's been gone a year, they were married 34 years. He called thursday nite, said he was doing ok, his grown kids had a tough time. They are not supporting his dating me (we've not met).

His work is busy, he might have to work today (saturday) and he needed to go to his cabin 4 hours away. He asked what I was doing, and I said a tentative thing with some girlfriends saturday and sunday I had plans with another girlfriend group. I made up my tentative saturday plans, so it didn't seem like I was waiting around hoping he and I would be getting together, which is what I did. No word/text from him since thursday nite. Is it inappropriate for me to hope for a call/text? Did something happen during the family get-together for the anniversary of the wife's death? I don't want to pressure him, but what do you think is going on? Admittedly, he's busy helping his daughter move too.

What are your thoughts, should I text him or see if he calls tonite? I'm acting like it's High-school all over again, what a drag.....
I think he has a full plate going on now rather than him fading away. I think he needs space, what you mentioned is a lot for anyone to deal with at one time.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
stop being so mean.

I have only just been diagnosed, AFTER I met him.

I cant go through my entire life alone, well I probably can, but people with all sorts of issues manage a relationship so why should I be excluded?
I'm not being mean. Just that if you have some emotional issues that prevent you from handling normal everyday life (which apparently you do?) then dating, I would think, would be one of the last things you need to worry about. Of course you can be alone. I would think that most people that can't handle dating, would do better alone, frankly.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Men are more trouble than they're worth, honestly.
And people look at me crazy when I say this forum has some serious man haters.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm not being mean. Just that if you have some emotional issues that prevent you from handling normal everyday life (which apparently you do?) then dating, I would think, would be one of the last things you need to worry about. Of course you can be alone. I would think that most people that can't handle dating, would do better alone, frankly.
You are seriously implying that only people who pass some imaginary bar of psychiatric wellness are the only ones who should date?

What about those with social phobias? Sit home or learn how to solo hike?

What about those with depression? same deal? Save the world from your Faults?

Where would THAT leave the girl or guy next door, who is human, has faults, challenges, issues?

On CD posting about their virginity...

Don't be a fool. FWIW most people display BPD symptoms at SOME time in their lives, its not a death sentence NOR a moral failing.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:05 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
I think he needs his space..... In his situation when a wife and mother has been lost, the family is #1 priority... then himself... I know I would still be grieving after 1 year of such a terrible loss.

If he wants you in his life, he will eventually reach out to you when he is ready. From your end, I personally wouldn't wait either... date other people in the meantime. Don't pause life waiting... that isn't healthy either.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Well I just think its RUDE.

If I was upset or dealing with other issues, I would be thrilled to have a supportive SO on the end of the phone, a soft place to fall.

I wouldn't treat them like they suddenly ceased to exist just because I had other carp going on.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:14 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
When my wife lost her father, it took a good week before she came around for my comfort (I was there always with open arms). I gave her space to grieve privately. When my wife was ready to reach out to me, we grieved together. It could be similar.... not sure.... but i'm giving him the benefit of doubt that his intentions are good... just distracted.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Well I just think its RUDE.

If I was upset or dealing with other issues, I would be thrilled to have a supportive SO on the end of the phone, a soft place to fall.

I wouldn't treat them like they suddenly ceased to exist just because I had other carp going on.
Well honestly, if I lost a huge fixture in my life, like a spouse of 34 years, I would want a woman who I haven't known but two months, who my kids don't like, to allow space so I can deal with this tough time with my kids who can feel the same pain I feel and possibly help the healing process so my kids will be more likely to accept the new woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships