Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yeah that makes sense, I remember reading on here that in Cali it's well hard to sack someone ( fire ), it's sounds great compared to my job believe me I've never heard of a signing bonus before LOL.
Can I ask what benefits come with it for example health care, dental or that 401k ( not sure what that is but again read about it )?

But your experience should speak volumes and I'm glad it has been acknowledged by him , you know yourself chow there's not much worse than some young " college puke " ( as you call it LOL ) telling you how it's done.
The labor laws here in Ca are more extensive than other parts of this country. The company is offering the standard benefits like medical and 401k and paid holiday, etc etc. I think young college kids are fine, everyone has to start out some where, right???

I did have a guy a couple of yrs ago at my last company and he was probably about 28 or so, new to the industry and he was trying to tell me how things were done, I found it quite astonishing that someone would have those kind of balls, as I'd never approach a guy that's been in some industry 20 plus yrs and you're brand new and try to one up them... I was completely floored by him.... amazing actually. I'd actually like to blast him in his goddamn face, and I'm a pretty easy going guy, so that was quite the experience, most people I've worked with over the yrs whether senior to me or junior were all fine, this guy was just an azzhat in general you run across those types in life.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:01 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The labor laws here in Ca are more extensive than other parts of this country. The company is offering the standard benefits like medical and 401k and paid holiday, etc etc. I think young college kids are fine, everyone has to start out some where, right???

I did have a guy a couple of yrs ago at my last company and he was probably about 28 or so, new to the industry and he was trying to tell me how things were done, I found it quite astonishing that someone would have those kind of balls, as I'd never approach a guy that's been in some industry 20 plus yrs and you're brand new and try to one up them... I was completely floored by him.... amazing actually. I'd actually like to blast him in his goddamn face, and I'm a pretty easy going guy, so that was quite the experience, most people I've worked with over the yrs whether senior to me or junior were all fine, this guy was just an azzhat in general you run across those types in life.
Yeah no it was the first saying that entered my mind with college kids, I'm more referring to young ones telling you how to do it mate got nothing against them in general of course .

Yeah I had a 19 year old last year that just done his first qualification and thought he was gods gift, he was working with one that had 32 year experience and trying to tell him what to do.

He got roasted to say the least LOL.

What actually is the 401k a pension? And what does the medical actually mean? Everything or just work related?

Sorry for the questions chow and I know Google is king but should I ever do come over one day it's better to learn from real people like your good self

Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Good luck chow and NLV gal
Thanks, LC. There are only three other candidates so I'm hopeful .

Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Thanks, LC. There are only three other candidates so I'm hopeful .
Tell me and chow who the others are and we will " rub " them out for you

( you're most welcome )

Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah no it was the first saying that entered my mind with college kids, I'm more referring to young ones telling you how to do it mate got nothing against them in general of course .

Yeah I had a 19 year old last year that just done his first qualification and thought he was gods gift, he was working with one that had 32 year experience and trying to tell him what to do.

He got roasted to say the least LOL.

What actually is the 401k a pension? And what does the medical actually mean? Everything or just work related?

Sorry for the questions chow and I know Google is king but should I ever do come over one day it's better to learn from real people like your good self

A 401k plan is basically a savings vehicle to save for retirement, a pension in a sense, but it's mostly funded by the employee. A company can contribute and match the employees savings rate to a certain degree, typical 0 to 6 percent of what an employee puts in. The benefits of the 401k is is that the money is all tax deferred until you draw on it and it also helps you to lower you're taxable income and that is huge, especially if you start to make better money. If say you made 50k a yr and put away 10 percent of your income to a 401 plan, you're taxable income now become 45k you get a free pass on the 5k that you've socked away through payroll deductions. When you become retirement age you then draw on the money that you've saved for the last 35 yrs, (hopefully). As of 2016 unless things change in the next 30 yrs, most Americans typically rely on 401k, other savings and social security. Pensions are a thing of the past, most companies don't offer them anymore. Those are just straight out money programs that an employer will give you as a reward for a lot of yrs of service. Like I said, most companies abandoned them back in the late 90's. I got lucky and my first company that I was with for 15 yrs offered them back in the day so I have a small pension coming when I'm retirement age, assuming that the company is still liquid and viable then, but supposedly they are somewhat guaranteed through insurance programs, but whatever, so f you've got a 401k, social security and hopefully a pension you might not be eating dog food in your golden yrs. I'm hoping between all of those things, plus with our house being paid off and a meager inheritance we might get from our parents that Mrs. Chow and I will be ok in our golden yrs.

Life is about as ceratin at this point as putting all your money on black and spinning the wheel.....

Old 02-05-2016, 10:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I can take early retirement in 17 years. My goal is to retire with 85% of my income.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I can take early retirement in 17 years. My goal is to retire with 85% of my income.
Yeah, if you work for the city/state/government you pretty much get the major hookup.... way way better than anything that the private sector offers.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Yeah, if you work for the city/state/government you pretty much get the major hookup.... way way better than anything that the private sector offers.
Private sector pays better up front. I'm too far in to this gig to leave now. If something comes up in 10 years for great money, I would. Safety director would be a good gig.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
A 401k plan is basically a savings vehicle to save for retirement, a pension in a sense, but it's mostly funded by the employee. A company can contribute and match the employees savings rate to a certain degree, typical 0 to 6 percent of what an employee puts in. The benefits of the 401k is is that the money is all tax deferred until you draw on it and it also helps you to lower you're taxable income and that is huge, especially if you start to make better money. If say you made 50k a yr and put away 10 percent of your income to a 401 plan, you're taxable income now become 45k you get a free pass on the 5k that you've socked away through payroll deductions. When you become retirement age you then draw on the money that you've saved for the last 35 yrs, (hopefully). As of 2016 unless things change in the next 30 yrs, most Americans typically rely on 401k, other savings and social security. Pensions are a thing of the past, most companies don't offer them anymore. Those are just straight out money programs that an employer will give you as a reward for a lot of yrs of service. Like I said, most companies abandoned them back in the late 90's. I got lucky and my first company that I was with for 15 yrs offered them back in the day so I have a small pension coming when I'm retirement age, assuming that the company is still liquid and viable then, but supposedly they are somewhat guaranteed through insurance programs, but whatever, so f you've got a 401k, social security and hopefully a pension you might not be eating dog food in your golden yrs. I'm hoping between all of those things, plus with our house being paid off and a meager inheritance we might get from our parents that Mrs. Chow and I will be ok in our golden yrs.

Life is about as ceratin at this point as putting all your money on black and spinning the wheel.....
Oh my that would have taken me a while to understand that if I read it on google thanks for breaking it down for me mate

Yes ours ain't worth shlt in truth. I've got a plan but not much in it . You reminded me I had a look at the tax system in Texas when I thought i was coming over and I couldn't work it out.

But in truth I've always had a cavalier attitude to money as you could get run over tomorrow........ I know I'm young ( Ish ) but I'm relying on a flat ( apartment ) I will inherit as my pension so...... IDK. Both you and sea seem a lot more sensible than myself with these matters.

How about medical? Do they pay or do you have to still make contributions? ( I ask this as I'm in bed for the last 2 days with a bad back LOL )

Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Private sector pays better up front. I'm too far in to this gig to leave now. If something comes up in 10 years for great money, I would. Safety director would be a good gig.
Is that what you do SD? Health and safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships