Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 07:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times

Advertisements

I've cut back from here too. Then someone who has managed to **** me off posts here and, well, then do my best to make sure they go by unnoticed.

I should have trolled the ex mother in law. But I wasn't in the mood.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I feel like I should "get" social media at this point, but I'm afraid it would make it too easy for me to neglect interacting with people face-to-face, since I pretty much have to force myself to be sociable as it is. And like, why would I need to friend the people I see every damn day anyway? I had Facebook for a while (with an all-time high of 30 friends) but then there was a disquieting incident when a cousin of mine, whom I hadn't seen or heard from in over 25 years, messaged me. Nothing wrong with him per say... but I just don't know how he knew it was me. I've gone by my middle name for nearly 20 years, there is no way he would know my married last name, and I didn't even use my picture in my profile (which was private). The only relative I have even sporadic contact with is my brother, and he avoids any and all social media, so it's not like a "people you may know" type of thing. IDK, it just bothered me and felt like I was invading my own privacy, so I deleted my account after that.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The threads in this sub forum are all the same damn thing, over and over and over and you know exactly who's gonna say what and which other person is gonna respond to them etc etc, it's getting tiring.
The responses are usually the same, because it the topic is the same as all the other threads:

Do you think she's a 10? (when we have no idea what she looks like)
Should I stay with him? (when we don't know his side of the story)
Should I date someone with brown hair? (again, huh?)
What do you think of a person who is short/chubby/bald? (what difference does it make what another person thinks?)

LOL

Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I feel like I should "get" social media at this point, but I'm afraid it would make it too easy for me to neglect interacting with people face-to-face, since I pretty much have to force myself to be sociable as it is. And like, why would I need to friend the people I see every damn day anyway? I had Facebook for a while (with an all-time high of 30 friends) but then there was a disquieting incident when a cousin of mine, whom I hadn't seen or heard from in over 25 years, messaged me. Nothing wrong with him per say... but I just don't know how he knew it was me. I've gone by my middle name for nearly 20 years, there is no way he would know my married last name, and I didn't even use my picture in my profile (which was private). The only relative I have even sporadic contact with is my brother, and he avoids any and all social media, so it's not like a "people you may know" type of thing. IDK, it just bothered me and felt like I was invading my own privacy, so I deleted my account after that.
That is Twitter for me.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 PM

52,273 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Meh, IDK, I've always usually been an early adopter of new technology, but I've lost interest in keeping up with the latest and greatest in that area. When Myspace came out I never bothered, when FB came out I didn't get an account for a long long time. When twitter and snapchat and the like broke, I was like 'meh' I figured I was wasting too much time on CD over the years, why add more crap to the list. I check FB pretty regularly, but just quick in and quick out. I've been more so lately because one of my friends from when I was 13 had a massive heart attack her sister had been updating her FB friends with the status of how she's been doing.

In terms of how they "find" you, yeah, that is odd, FB has some strange computer algorithms in how to make suggestions of who you should be friends with. One time FB gave me a friends suggestion of someone I had worked with 17 years ago, I never contacted them since, through any forms of media that I can remember and when her name popped up I almost shyt my pants I scratched my head for a day or two trying to figure out some kind of link. IDK what they look at exactly probably is a combo of emails and other things and it looks like some kind of weird "six degrees of separation" deal, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
The responses are usually the same, because it the topic is the same as all the other threads:

Do you think she's a 10? (when we have no idea what she looks like)
Should I stay with him? (when we don't know his side of the story)
Should I date someone with brown hair? (again, huh?)
What do you think of a person who is short/chubby/bald? (what difference does it make what another person thinks?)

LOL
Yep, and like I said, I'll give an opinon maybe offer a counter, but I'm not going to go round and round, ie, page after page arguing with someone. A few yrs ago we had a longtime member here that used to actually sort of ruin threads because they wouldn't or couldn't let an argument go.

I see it now, it's boring as hell to see people go back and forth for 3 or 4 pages, I'm like, just let go man and move on.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:20 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
MSN is reporting Prince found dead at his recording studio, age 57.

And Chyna, age 46.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:23 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
I just saw that, Sea of Grass...

So sad!

I remember a few days ago Prince's [private plane made some emergency landing in (?) Illinois b/c he was sick. I knew something was wrong then...

This life is so fragile and fleeting...here one minute, gone the rest.

What a great musician.

He will truly be missed .

Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I just saw that, Sea of Grass...

So sad!

I remember a few days ago Prince's [private plane made some emergency landing in (?) Illinois b/c he was sick. I knew something was wrong then...

This life is so fragile and fleeting...here one minute, gone the rest.

What a great musician.

He will truly be missed .

Yeah, it's sad, I was just posting over in music. There's two or three threads someone has started already about it.

IDK, death in your youth is just something that isn't on the radar, it's only when you've been around a bit and see and hear story after story and as you get a bit older yourself you start to sorta step back and think, damn. A friend from back in middle school had a heart attack two or three weeks ago and is still in the hospital, she's 46 same age as me, and you think damn... it could happened to anyone. Prince being 57 and dying, must have been something going on health wise, as you've mentioned the emergency landing. It will probably come out that he had some kind of major illness he was dealing with. I doubt it was drugs, he was always in good shape and didn't have the abused drugs look about him.

Last edited by Chowhound; 04-21-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 12:10 PM

I knew of the health scare recently. I was shocked when I saw the headline.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:30 PM

I was at the gym on the treadmill and CNN was on a few of the TV's and they were doing a big thing on Prince. These guys must have a lot of this stuff in the can for when celebrities die because they seem to have a lot of pre-made stories and clips of his performances and highlights of his life, of course they were interviewing people too.

I popped into the store on the way home and a car cruising through the parking lot had "When Doves Cry" cranked pretty loud.

What a trip, a lot of musicians have died so far this year and we're only about a quarter into it too. Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Lemmy Kilmister, now Prince. Heck, there may be some I missed.

Last edited by Chowhound; 04-21-2016 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships