Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think different fields of work have different written and unwritten rules. Like I said, in my business, it's not frowned upon, and I would say that the majority of people met their SO's through work. I can understand why it is looked down upon in some fields though - and it can definitely cause problems.
Which industry is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:59 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Which industry is that?
There's no business like show business - there's no business I know!

I met my husband on tour - I was a performer and he was on the stage crew. My previous serious relationship was with a guitar player that I met at summer stock. My ex boyfriend met his wife on tour - they were both performers. One of my other friends met her husband on a cruise ship - she was a dancer and he was a musician. In my business - it's really just a given that people are going to hook up - sometimes short term and sometimes long term.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
First the sorority girls and hotties are gone from the market, and now they won't let you use the vending machines at work? That's terrible.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
I think different fields of work have different written and unwritten rules. Like I said, in my business, it's not frowned upon, and I would say that the majority of people met their SO's through work. I can understand why it is looked down upon in some fields though - and it can definitely cause problems.
In my business it is not allowed. I dated a coworker and he said he explicitly gets told every time a new female gets hired that he is not to become too friendly with her.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
I think different fields of work have different written and unwritten rules.
I agree with this. For late hubby and I, when we first met, we were in separate buildings and then when in the same building, still separate departments and in our positions had no reason to interact with each other.

How we met was that we'd sold the division he was working for and he was only one of three people from the division we kept. When it came time for me to dispose of the fixed assets from their division in our accounting system, he was the only one of the three who was around to tell me what happened to them. The next day he came by to see if I needed anything else; a few days later, he caught me in the hallway and after determining I didn't have plans for NYE, asked if I "wanted to spend it with a bunch of people I didn't know?"

Apparently, he'd seen me a few months prior to that and had asked around trying to find out who I was and if I was single and when he helped me with the project, I apparently made it clear that I was single!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I met my husband at work. We both worked out in the shop so no problem but another shop worker started dating an office worker and she (office) was fired. (They got married)

Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
There are so many people bangin each other here it's hard to keep straight who's with who. Big Company. I learned my lesson a long time ago but not before sampling the goods a half dozen times. The last one that cured me was the one that went off on me in the main lobby for everyone to see. Never again!

Sooner or later you will find that nutcase that will try and ruin you if it falls apart.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:45 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
I met my husband at work....however...we were in different branches located in different areas of town, under different sets of management. In the same workplace with daily interaction? Bad, bad idea. I've seen things with good beginnings and intentions that get really ugly, often dragging the entire workplace down into the mess. Someone invariably has to leave or gets fired. Even with a situation like mine, it's best kept on the down low to avoid becoming grist for the rumor mill. In general I think it a bad idea.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
"Don't **** where you work" is a pointless restriction because no one ever follows it, and nor should they.
Speak for yourself. I've never dated anyone I worked with. Ever.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I work in a plant.

I work ridiculously long hours along side women most of the time.

Dating coworkers isn't a really big deal in this plant. It's not expected, but it's not frowned upon either.

Also, you know it's OK to date and have relationships at a job when a married couple run the part of the plant that makes the company the most money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships