Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:09 PM

615 posts, read 726,274 times

Advertisements

"Don't **** where you work" is a pointless restriction because no one ever follows it, and nor should they.

If you work in the white collar world, chances are that 75%-95% of your waking hours are spent at work, with a mixture of males and females, and your interaction with those coworkers can be as intimate as team projects that last late into the night or work parties where the alcohol flows freely. It's not much different than the setup you have for meetings peers in college.

No, I'm not in a work relationship, but basic reasoning tells me that the next woman I develop an interest for will most likely be at wherever I work at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM

609 posts, read 615,753 times
If you work in such close proximity that you see each other every single day and you then hook up and things don't work out and she hates your guts or falls in love with you and you want nothing to do with her...that could end up hell.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
What if you work for a company that has so many employees at one location it could be weeks or months before you may run into the same person again?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
In my business, it's very common. I met my husband at work! I would say most people in my business meet their spouses/partners at work!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
My last real job was like 90% perimenopausal women. It was a BFD when a dude got hired.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
It's fine as long as you keep you perosnal crap out of work, but that is obviously not going to be the case for many people...especially younger folk who are still finding themselves.

My business would not be able to function productively if everyone did not have lives away from their work spaces.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-07-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 10:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
"Don't **** where you work" is a pointless restriction because no one ever follows it, and nor should they.

If you work in the white collar world, chances are that 75%-95% of your waking hours are spent at work, with a mixture of males and females, and your interaction with those coworkers can be as intimate as team projects that last late into the night or work parties where the alcohol flows freely. It's not much different than the setup you have for meetings peers in college.

No, I'm not in a work relationship, but basic reasoning tells me that the next woman I develop an interest for will most likely be at wherever I work at the time.
Nope. I work in male dominated teams, always have... and I follow it.

But then, I've never ever, had the slightest interest in any of them - regardless of how much time is spent with them.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
As a business owner, its bad business screwing the payroll.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Nope. I work in male dominated teams, always have... and I follow it.

But then, I've never ever, had the slightest interest in any of them - regardless of how much time is spent with them.
Yeah, some people do follow that closely. Work relations would be fine if everyone could keep the sex and romance out of the office. But many can't separate the 2. If something bad happens in the relationship, it gets brought over into the office. Then there's the gossip that will spread.

It just has a way of potentially being really messy. All relationships come with that risj, but best not to risk your source of income over it.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,830 times
While I've never dated coworkers (I'm in a female dominated profession), the same applies when becoming friends with coworkers.... I really try to avoid doing that because it has always ended up causing a lot of problems for me in the end.

I did date 2 guys who work in my field though who don't work at my site. With one of them (I kid you not) I ended up interviewing for a position at his site and he was one of the people interviewing me! The other (again not kidding), ended up getting transferred to my site 1 day a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships