Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:10 PM

609 posts, read 615,657 times

Advertisements

What is the point of getting married, if you don't plan on being faithful to that person?
I have had friends that have pursued the polyamory thing and I just want to smack them in the face.
You can't honestly expect to live like that and not end up hurt or hurt someone else.
Humans aren't wired that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
A very good friend of mine was married for about 15 years. He and his wife decided on the "open marriage" concept to spice up their life a little bit.

Their divorce was finalized last month. That worked out well...
Maybe, if they stayed together longer than if they hadn't. Being monogamous doesn't protect against divorce. If they were trying to spice things up, they may have already been on the road to splitting up.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM

191 posts, read 212,149 times
I wouldn't do it but if it works for some couples and as long as everyone is honest, I can't see a problem with it. I'm too possessive as is my husband and I like it that way. Everyone's different and I can't/won't judge others for wanting what they want. I can say it's sure as hell better than cheating on a unsuspecting partner.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Not for me. It's not a moral issue for me. I just can't have intimate sex with someone with whom I'm not also emotionally intimate. I've always had trouble getting close to people, to women especially. I've had lots of sex in my life. I've been married twice. But i have only been able to feel both completely safe and a deep intimate connection with one woman, my wife now, and i wouldn't trade these for anything. We make love, now, more than we did when we met 18 years ago and it is even more fulfilling now than then, both physically and emotionally.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
What is the point of getting married, if you don't plan on being faithful to that person?
To raise a family, build a life with someone you love, grow old with a trusted spouse, have a lifelong confidante and lover, take care of one another ... ?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugster43 View Post
I wouldn't do it but if it works for some couples and as long as everyone is honest, I can't see a problem with it. I'm too possessive as is my husband and I like it that way. Everyone's different and I can't/won't judge others for wanting what they want. I can say it's sure as hell better than cheating on a unsuspecting partner.
My thoughts as well.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
To raise a family, build a life with someone you love, grow old with a trusted spouse, have a lifelong confidante and lover, take care of one another ... ?
Marriage is symbolically the ULTIMATE commitment. It doesn't make sense to get married vowing to stay committed to one another, but to go sleep around with whoever you want. That will fall apart so fast. When someone deeply cares about another person, they become instinctively territorial whether they realize it or not.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
Marriage is symbolically the ULTIMATE commitment. It doesn't make sense to get married vowing to stay committed to one another, but to go sleep around with whoever you want. That will fall apart so fast. When someone deeply cares about another person, they become instinctively territorial whether they realize it or not.
We aren't all wired the same way.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
We aren't all wired the same way.
Ok but I have never seen relationships like that work out. Ever
Someone ends up getting jealous or sick of it.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:31 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You think it's wrong, good for you, don't engage in that lifestyle. Who are you to make the decision for others? Her first marriage ended because of the sneaking and lying which she is trying to remove from the equation. And how do you know what their vows said?
How am I making a decision for them? Why do people see having an opinion as telling someone what to do? I just don't agree with their decision.

I am stating whether they explicitly said it or not, it was clearly understood that their relationship was intended to be monogamous at first, which is why she had to have the conversation. Whether it was in vows or it was implied, it's clear that was the expectation of their relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships