Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:45 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
oh please, please dress like an attractive woman and go to a bar and find a soul mate! I would love to hear about it.
Like three friends of mine met their partners at a bar or club. One of them just got engaged. I'm not saying that it's the norm but tbh I meet just as many couples that met at a party, or bar, or club that I have that meet through old and form long term relationships. I think that people immediately assume that men are only looking to get laid at a bar and that might be true for a lot but there are single men that go out to bars and clubs not necessarily looking for a relationship that end up meeting someone they really like and wind up dating each other.

Again I haven't done old so I don't know how easy it is to meet a quality partner using old versus bars, clubs or other places but that is how the majority of my friends and I have met people. A lot of the time it was when we werent necessarily even looking or trying to get a man and it just happens and then it feels authentic and natural and refreshing. There was only one point when I actively looked for a relationship and that was when I was probably 15 lol and me and my girls would purposely target places hoping to meet guys. It was the most tiring thing mentally and emotionally because we went through so many not quality teenage boys lol. And it never felt natural because we were actively seeking the guys out making it a priority to the point where it became an investment emotionally if it didn't go right. Then we all decided to stop and just enjoy being teens and wallah we all met guys at random places that became our boyfriends.

This has since been the story of my life. Often I'm not trying, and that's when I meet someone. I feel like people underestimate meeting people in places that might not seem like good options-heck I've had friends meet and date guys from the gym, that they met at a gas station, at a friend of a friends party, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Most states don't allow it, but some do.. I like graphs, so here's an easy to see graph. I can't stand cigarette smoke, wish my state didn't allow it. On a side note, a few people I've met from online dating couldn't understand how I knew they smoked even when they lied in their profiles... that stuff stinks so bad you can smell it on them in their breath.

But yeah, #1 reason I avoid bars is smoke.

The 16 states that still allow smoking in bars and restaurants - MarketWatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, saw that. Amazing, but there is no underestimating the South!

I lived in KY for a bit and it was a dry county, so I didn't notice. Indiana doesn't deserve its place in the upper midwest (I also lived there).

Ah well, there are two different countries in the U.S. Pennsylvania surprises me.
Some of those states don't have a state law but at the county level they can ban smoking or there are certain laws depending on if the bar serves food or not. So even in the states where it is allowed, it's highly unlikely it will be everywhere in the state.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 PM

347 posts, read 425,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Because some of us beauties don't get to go out that much and don't really like hanging out in bars for the purpose of getting hit on.
This.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
A lot of the time it was when we werent necessarily even looking or trying to get a man and it just happens and then it feels authentic and natural and refreshing.
My question, in all sincerity, is why ought one to suppose that innocent socializing that by happenstance results in a romantic engagement is "natural", whereas going about town with the specific intention of finding a partner is unnatural or inauthentic? Surely when I read the newspaper with direct intention of finding a stock to research for possible investment, this is no less natural, than idly reading the paper and stumbling upon a potential quality stock?

Quote:
... Then we all decided to stop and just enjoy being teens and wallah we all met guys at random places that became our boyfriends.
Not to be a punctilious commentator, but I can't resist noting the unwitting implications of the misspelling, "wallah". It's the English transliteration of Arabic for "I swear to God".

Quote:
Often I'm not trying, and that's when I meet someone.
This reminds me of Carmen's Habanera, from the eponymous opera. And it's indeed the accepted wisdom for how to find love.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My question, in all sincerity, is why ought one to suppose that innocent socializing that by happenstance results in a romantic engagement is "natural", whereas going about town with the specific intention of finding a partner is unnatural or inauthentic? Surely when I read the newspaper with direct intention of finding a stock to research for possible investment, this is no less natural, than idly reading the paper and stumbling upon a potential quality stock?
I find this as silly as the saying "it will happen when you are not expecting it". I always roll my eyes and chuckle when I see that. After I had a bad break-up once I went through about a three year period where I was not really expecting anything to happen. Guess what happened during that period? Nothing happened!!!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Somewhere someplace there's a guy that’s sick of her.

Or

It’s a validation profile

Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Missouri allows communities to set their own ordinances, though there isn't a statewide ban. There isn't a public bar in Kansas City that you can smoke in since I think about 2008 (the smoking ban went into effect shortly after I moved here, which is why I remember the hullabaloo over it). Private clubs, I think, you can still smoke in in KC. But no bars. It's pretty glorious, and was the best thing ever when it went into effect.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 9,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I know several women who are attractive and use online dating. Why is this? I mean, if I were an attractive woman, I would prefer going out to bars to meet guys. That would be way more fun, wouldn't feel as "forced".
It's because there's something wrong with them. Besides, most women on online dating use it for validation because they're strong and independent.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think it must be because we have tails.
I want to find a woman with a tail.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I know several women who are attractive and use online dating. Why is this? I mean, if I were an attractive woman, I would prefer going out to bars to meet guys. That would be way more fun, wouldn't feel as "forced".
Who says they don't do both?

If you're that curious, why not ask them? I know I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships