Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Not in the least do I assert that they are mutually exclusive. The growth of one, does not mean the withering and rejection of the other. Merely, it seems to me that the one is accessible and practical, while the other is neither. I trust a number of people in my life, and presumably they trust me. I love no one.
You love no one?

Quote:
Presumably there indeed is sex, and the sexual relationship is exclusive to within the marriage. It is not, however, the passion of a Tristan and Iseult, or Lancelot and Guinevere.
So sex with no passion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:29 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
You love no one?
Correct. My last living relative passed away not long ago.

Dating/relationships/marriage are rather different for those surrounded by family, who are looking for a "+ 1", than for those who are truly alone.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Correct. My last living relative passed away not long ago.

Dating/relationships/marriage are rather different for those surrounded by family, who are looking for a "+ 1", than for those who are truly alone.
I can understand wanting some companionship. I can understand spending time with someone that I'm not in love with. But I can't understand living with someone and marrying someone that I'm not in love with. Or rather, I can understand having a roommate that I'm not in love with but not a spouse I'm not in love with.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Not in the least do I assert that they are mutually exclusive. The growth of one, does not mean the withering and rejection of the other. Merely, it seems to me that the one is accessible and practical, while the other is neither. I trust a number of people in my life, and presumably they trust me. I love no one.

Presumably there indeed is sex, and the sexual relationship is exclusive to within the marriage. It is not, however, the passion of a Tristan and Iseult, or Lancelot and Guinevere.
So you've sold yourself for money and are incapable of love. Do you not see why people are not taking your view of marriage seriously?

So let's say that your business partner gets sick in the middle of the night....non-lethal but still requires a trip to the ER. Do you take him or make him call ambulance so you can sleep?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So you've sold yourself for money and are incapable of love. Do you not see why people are not taking your view of marriage seriously?

So let's say that your business partner gets sick in the middle of the night....non-lethal but still requires a trip to the ER. Do you take him or make him call ambulance so you can sleep?
One's partner would be taken to the hospital from a sense of duty - not love, or "business". This duty is imposed upon both marital partners by the mandate of the State, under whose solemn mandate the marriage is created in the first place. Failure to discharge one's duty, besides being vile and dishonorable, is a crime against the State.

And by "State" I mean not Ohio or Nova Scotia or Bavaria, but the Hegelian super-state, which in my utopian (dystopian?) view would regulate both business-activity and marriage.

As for capability or incapability to love, such a thing is beyond the ken or competence of anyone to judge -even the person purporting to love, or his/her love's object. It is entirely subjective. Person A might honor and venerate person B, but claim to not love; simultaneously, C might claim to intensely love D, but do far less for D, than A does for B.

Here's the bottom line: in the modern West, two people generally don't get married until and unless sparks fly, until they get that fluttering-butterfly feeling for each other. Elsewhere, such a feeling cause for circumspection, if not outright alarm.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times

Honestly at this point I don't know if you are a gold digger or a prostitute....[/quote]

Are you dense?

A gold digger that works 80 hours a week?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Another question for you and the OP - so, in this loveless marriage - do you have sex with each other? Are you attracted to each other? If you don't have sex - can you have sex with other people? Are you allowed to have romantic relationships with other people? Or do you forego sex, passion, and love for the rest of your life?
Yes,men and women have sex with people they are not attracted to everyday.

If i was married to a man that was the breadwinner,out of respect,i would have sex with him even if i was not attracted to him.

He is providing for me after all.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I work with a large amount of nurses from 3rd world countries,and what do you know,they taught me that marriage is not for love,but its really a business partnership.

Think about this....why do people in other countries have marriages that last decades,but over 50% of American's divorce because of $$$ issues?

If i get married,i have to look at it as a business arrangement.

No matter how much i love a man(which i doubt will EVER happen) he has to be able to keep the marriage afloat financially,but so do i,and we have to do that together.

On nurse said that if 2 men approach you,and one has better finances,but you do not Love him,marry him instead of the guy you do love,because she said there is no such thing as love at first sight. That is infactuation.
She said that only happens in Disney movies.

love grows.

As you see your husband taking care of business,you will grow to love him.

Marriage is supposed to be 2 people bringing their resources together to create one household.

I get their point,but i am not convinced all the way.

I am going to try to look at potential partners from a business perspective.
These women seem really logical. I think that. What part of the country do they live in?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,425 times
As someone else said, what is the point of even getting married. You are a nurse and should be making enough money to take care of yourself. Why even bother with getting married??? Just to use one another for financially being in a better situation? That's bull.
Believe it or not, your nurse friends are wrong. True love does really exist. Just because they have not been able to find someone and keep their relationship together, doesn't really give them the right to spread that manure all around, stinking up others hopes and dreams.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
These women seem really logical. I think that. What part of the country do they live in?
we are in the nyc area.

Some are Filipino,Indian,Nigerian,and Jamaica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships