Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Yeah, but there is a lot of that online. I think that's why there is the reputation. And it doesn't take a lot for a few crazies to scare the normal ones away. It's like a fart in an elevator--just takes one to make the others scatter.

Despite my objections and hatred of online dating, I have to confess I actually found someone online recently. We've only been dating the past few weeks. But I found someone good looking, kind and considerate, mentally stable, financially stable, who seems to have a similar sense of humor and very similar interests, and who seems to think I am a great catch too (said it was great to meet a "normal" person like me after meeting a lot of nuts, alcoholics, and people eager to get married after date #1... although I am not sure how normal I really am, lol).
I used to meeting crazy in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
hot women who are the entire package DO NOT need on line dating
This is the prevailing bromide, passing for insight.

It's not entirely incorrect; presumably "hot women" will find themselves with plenty of male attention. "Hot women" of conventional tastes, values, and objectives in life could indeed go about their daily business and choose a suitable mate from the hordes who approach them.

But here's the missing nuance: what if she's an atheist living in the bible-belt? Or what if she belongs to an arcane and rare religious tradition, insisting to marry only within that tradition? What if she's child-free, and refuses the conventional definitions of family? The narrower her tastes, the narrower her options in so-called "real life", and the more imperative her recourse to alternative means such as online dating.

As to the OP's situation, one gathers that his question was prompted less from abstract interest than from peeved frustration at a specific prospect gone awry. Suffering such reverse in the particular, one is tempted to extrapolate to the large, and build conclusions from a single case. I sympathize, having felt much the same myself, and many times. But personal experience does not prove a general rule.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is the prevailing bromide, passing for insight.

It's not entirely incorrect; presumably "hot women" will find themselves with plenty of male attention. "Hot women" of conventional tastes, values, and objectives in life could indeed go about their daily business and choose a suitable mate from the hordes who approach them.

But here's the missing nuance: what if she's an atheist living in the bible-belt? Or what if she belongs to an arcane and rare religious tradition, insisting to marry only within that tradition? What if she's child-free, and refuses the conventional definitions of family? The narrower her tastes, the narrower her options in so-called "real life", and the more imperative her recourse to alternative means such as online dating.

As to the OP's situation, one gathers that his question was prompted less from abstract interest than from peeved frustration at a specific prospect gone awry. Suffering such reverse in the particular, one is tempted to extrapolate to the large, and build conclusions from a single case. I sympathize, having felt much the same myself, and many times. But personal experience does not prove a general rule.
lmao....and this is typical female downplaying of REAL male insight...sorry...

If the hotty has weird religious quirks, it is best to hide these until she had suitable mates in her snare...going on line and listing her quirks will NARROW her hits, not increase them...most women know to hide the quirks until its too late..

I think most bros KNOW women on dating sites lie...and they expect this...im sure men lie as well...
If I asked people I know about old, they would roll their eyes and laugh at me...even the ones who have used it successfully have had to wade through a huge amount of crap to find the ONE or TWO gems...

I am separated and technically can date...maybe I will join one of these for sheets and grins...just to prove my point...hit on the hottest of the hot and see all the baggage come out if not already listed

Old 07-06-2015, 10:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
lmao....and this is typical female downplaying of REAL male insight...sorry...

If the hotty has weird religious quirks, it is best to hide these until she had suitable mates in her snare...going on line and listing her quirks will NARROW her hits, not increase them...most women know to hide the quirks until its too late..

I think most bros KNOW women on dating sites lie...and they expect this...im sure men lie as well...
If I asked people I know about old, they would roll their eyes and laugh at me...even the ones who have used it successfully have had to wade through a huge amount of crap to find the ONE or TWO gems...

I am separated and technically can date...maybe I will join one of these for sheets and grins...just to prove my point...hit on the hottest of the hot and see all the baggage come out if not already listed
I am pretty sure Ohio Peasant is a man based on past threads (and his profile). And for what it's worth, I agree with him. A very conventional woman who is "hot" probalby has no issues dating... but if she's a bit different under the skin, then yeah, maybe she can get laid but not find a relationship.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,925,727 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure Ohio Peasant is a man based on past threads (and his profile). And for what it's worth, I agree with him. A very conventional woman who is "hot" probalby has no issues dating... but if she's a bit different under the skin, then yeah, maybe she can get laid but not find a relationship.
how is quirks or different under the skin any different that "baggage"...which was in my post

if a hotty needs old...its for a reason...baggage

I would bet you less attractive to unattractive women find way more love on old that the hotties...due to baggage

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:

OhioP is a male.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:42 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,969 times
Quote:
how is quirks or different under the skin any different that "baggage"...which was in my post

I would bet you less attractive to unattractive women find way more love on old that the hotties...due to baggage
Well, by quirks it's like what OP posted. If a woman is an atheist living in the middle of the bible belt, it's going to be harder for her to find a match. I wouldn't call that baggage, it's just her personality. Or a woman who is child-free and doesn't want kids in a very traditional part of the country where it's "expected" it might be easier to find someone with the same tastes online. Or even a woman who lives in a very small town with few options, maybe she wants to get online to view areas farther out. That's kind of how I met the person online that I am dating, small town (2 hours away from where I live), kind of nerdy like me, few options in said home town. And as I was told, it was hard to meet someone who was also NOT marriage minded.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Well, by quirks it's like what OP posted. If a woman is an atheist living in the middle of the bible belt, it's going to be harder for her to find a match. I wouldn't call that baggage, it's just her personality. Or a woman who is child-free and doesn't want kids in a very traditional part of the country where it's "expected" it might be easier to find someone with the same tastes online. Or even a woman who lives in a very small town with few options, maybe she wants to get online to view areas father out. That's kind of how I met the person online that I am dating, small town, kind of nerdy like me, few options in said home town. And as I was told, it was hard to meet someone who was also NOT marriage minded.

Yeah, quirks and baggage aren't similar at all.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:45 AM

13,657 posts, read 9,724,335 times
Quote:

"Baggage" is detrimental experiences that compromise one's capacity to form new relationships. "Quirks" are unusual attributes that would appeal intensely to a limited audience, but which the broader audience finds to be recondite or disconcerting.

Consider the task of selling a house. A house with termite-damage and mold in the basement has "baggage". A house with hexagonal-shaped bedrooms and bathrooms with floor-to-ceiling windows has "quirks".

It's rare that my posts are ascribed to a female or feminist perspective. Perhaps I should regard this as a compliment?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Attractive women use online dating because men are too shy to approach them, or they assume they're already taken. Many men have so many complexes that hinder them from dating, I'm amazed the population manages to reproduce at all. And speaking of the "hot" women (as opposed to merely "attractive" ones), they would use online dating because the only guys approaching them are sleazes, players, or arrogant types, and the women are looking for the good guys, the humble, decent family man types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships