Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:40 PM

474 posts, read 384,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
A lot of people write "If you want to know more message me" and I find that insufferable. You already barely told me anything and now you want ME to message YOU and waste my own time? Nope.
Agreed, it's on the list.

Quote:
I imagine girls get away with this more than guys since a lot of guys on OLD just look at the picture.
Sure, I look at the pictures... okay, if they're nice pics, then what? Unless I can glean something worth commenting on from the pics, I'm not messaging you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Agreed, it's on the list.

Sure, I look at the pictures... okay, if they're nice pics, then what? Unless I can glean something worth commenting on from the pics, I'm not messaging you.
That's good though. I remember getting a lot of messages from guys with whom I was clearly not compatible. This was especially annoying on OKC, where one could see where another person stood on specific key issues.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,209,412 times
OLD is insufferable.

But yes, a lot of people who are proactively--and vocally--wookin' puh nub are insufferable.

Heck, there are times this forum is insufferable. (And clearly there's not enough suffering in my life...)

P.S. I don't mean to be rude, but shave and my guess is you'll have better luck organically. Memo went out in June: Beards are out.

Hipster Beard Over

Beards Gain Respect, But Few Dates | Men's Fitness

You have a nice face. Let the ladies see it!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,681 times
OP, OLD is crap for men. There are a million threads on this forum detailing that. If you were a woman, you'd have no problem and would be able to meet man anywhere in the world easily doing just about anything.

As a man, you will probably have to relocate or develop some hobbies with the specific intent to meet women this way. Just the way it works.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:07 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
I think OLD makes people too picky and too particular. That's insufferable. And it seems to give undateable folks equal footing with those who are relatively sane.

The organic way is slow and limited by the amount of time and effort you make to enlarge your social network.

Looking for love is an insufferable condition. No good solutions.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
P.S. I don't mean to be rude, but shave and my guess is you'll have better luck organically. Memo went out in June: Beards are out.
You're the pure definition of what I'm getting at in this thread: "I don't want to be rude, but I'm going to criticize you anyway". You assume that I care in the least about what you, hipsters, or Men's Fitness thinks, or are into women who are obsessed with what is or isn't "cool".

I see plenty of guys with beards with cute girlfriends who obviously aren't worried about what Parez Hilton or whoever thinks. Mind your own business.

Last edited by Tune_It_Lower; 07-06-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,926,023 times
easy going and happily coupled...most people you know...I believe it if you and they are young

throw in a couple decades and 1-3 kids and I would bet not so happily coupled...not saying unhappy, just good and bad...it takes a LOT of work, compromise, sacrifice, and patience to be part of a couple

if you were selling anything other than marriage, would you use words like compromise, sacrifice, patience, work?? No, neither would I because NO ONE in their right minds would willingly sign up for it...but they do for marriage

Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
A lot of people write "If you want to know more message me" and I find that insufferable. You already barely told me anything and now you want ME to message YOU and waste my own time? Nope.

I imagine girls get away with this more than guys since a lot of guys on OLD just look at the picture.
Girls get away with it, because they're not out messaging first, statistically. They pretty much know the guy, or some guy, is going to message them. They've likely already said that what's in their profile doesn't matter. Also, women get just as frustrated as men do. How do you think a woman feels when she thinks a guy really likes her, sleeps with her, and then he disappears or stops returning phone calls and text messages? She feels used and led on. Most likely she's going to be more guarded for the next guy.

Something else I've noticed is people are generally attracted to what they're attracted to. I had an old friend that no matter what she tried, she was always drawn to men who were affiliated with the arms services. She would try and date a guy who wasn't, but it would always come up that he was involved in some way.

That's what I've learned over the last couple of years of dating. You can be a jerk, a nice person, or somewhere inbetween, but in really doesn't matter all that much. If he's attracted to the pretty woman and not the woman who will treat him right, there's nothing you can do about it. I've met my fair share of women who said they're tired of players and men that won't commit, but they still end up with those guys. They can't help what they're attracted too, they just hope the next one they meet will be more honest.

I tend to be attracted to women who don't know what they want, but the women seem to be attracted to men who let them call all the shots. Then they get upset when the guy breaks up with them out of the blue or cheats on them. I can't help what I'm attracted to either. It just is what it is.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Yes, people are insufferable when looking for love, pursuing love, or otherwise going about with love, sex, and/or romance on the brain.

I've noticed that women's profiles are often a list of disclaimers, at least to start off with. And you can spot the men who are bitter with the game from a mile away. My ex has been complaining about how dismal his results with OLD have been..."it's not fair it's so much easier for the women," "it's a popularity contest based on having a pretty face," and got so mad that he wasn't getting any attention there, that he torched his profile and wrote a bunch of "I'm so done with this, this whole thing is stupid, message me if you want to know anything ever."

And yet still. No one messaged him.

Needy didn't work. Bitter and angry didn't work. What could he be doing wrong?

Then it was my fault for not being able to take a good picture of him, nor taking the time to help him with his profile (write it for him.) Seriously after what we've been through, and how he is acting...I can't make him look like a catch because at the moment he just isn't one. It's not because his face is ugly (it isn't, when he's smiling in genuine enjoyment of something and not scowling defensively) it's because his attitude is.

But believe me as a bi woman, I'm not blind to the offputting things women often put on profiles either...

And then there is having to deal with people in person who are in this place...from those like me who will run on at the mouth about every new person we meet (I'm sure half my family wants to shoot me by now) to those who are in a state of angst over lack of success, to those who are just trying to figure out who they are, how they should do this, and what they even want out of it.

Yeah, it's a mess. And sometimes it's a wonder we even manage to continue and proliferate as a species. For such smart creatures we humans can be incredibly dumb.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Well, thankfully, I'm not bitter about the experience (not sure that works either... LOL). I must be the exception here, and that's why I was curious on the attitudes of those who seek love versus those who just let the universe deliver it.

I'm happy with myself and happy being single, and would far prefer keep it that way in lieu of engaging any of the nasty people out there. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Last edited by Tune_It_Lower; 07-06-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships