Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 02:55 PM

474 posts, read 384,769 times

Advertisements

You know, most people I know in life are open, easy-going individuals; most of them happily coupled; and most met "organically", if you will... but as a guy reading profiles online, I really wouldn't want to even be in line behind the vast majority of them at a grocery store. I rarely feel inclined to message anybody after reading their profiles.

I mean, I'm actively looking... mainly because the organic approach ain't offering up jack these days... maybe I'm insufferable as well and just don't realize it. Maybe there's some self-selection bias going on here based on personality type. Just pondering while I wait for my hairdresser to free up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 03:26 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,609,068 times
OK the hairdresser line threw me...

Can you give examples of how they are insufferable? I doubt anyone is insufferable on purpose.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,642 times
Most people you know are easy going and happily coupled? Really?
And what is this "organic approach"? You picking out a date or melons in a store? (or maybe both).

I think you are perhaps over thinking things. Relax, get your hair done. Maybe your hairdresser will be that organic person you are in search of. Or maybe you can tell her about your posting and she (or he) can fix you up with a friend. Sometimes you can try so hard for the longest time and nothing happens. Then sometimes things happen when you least expect it--and they are often the best and most long lasting.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
And what is this "organic approach"? You picking out a date or melons in a store? (or maybe both).

I think you are perhaps over thinking things. Relax, get your hair done. Maybe your hairdresser will be that organic person you are in search of. Or maybe you can tell her about your posting and she (or he) can fix you up with a friend. Sometimes you can try so hard for the longest time and nothing happens. Then sometimes things happen when you least expect it--and they are often the best and most long lasting.
I think that " just letting things happen" is what the OP means by " organically" as opposed to researching them ( as in OLD profiles). Yup... Meeting them cold like picking out melons at the store.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Like just through your everyday experiences, at get togethers, shows, events, through friends, et. al.

Quote:
Maybe your hairdresser will be that organic person you are in search of.
He's a dude. A straight one to boot.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Can you give examples of how they are insufferable? I doubt anyone is insufferable on purpose.
Do you have an online dating account? If not, make a dummy one and start pursuing. It doesn't take much to start thinking they didn't get the honey before vinegar speech.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Do you have an online dating account? If not, make a dummy one and start pursuing. It doesn't take much to start thinking they didn't get the honey before vinegar speech.
I do have one that's been inactive for a long time, but you still haven't given examples of what you mean. Are you talking about the people who say "I'm done with games," and crap like that?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I do have one that's been inactive for a long time, but you still haven't given examples of what you mean. Are you talking about the people who say "I'm done with games," and crap like that?
Yeah, that's tip of the iceberg, but more-or-less. Complaints, demands, snide attitudes, assumptions about the reader, unwelcoming communication styles abound... too often contained in profiles telling me nothing of themselves. Nothing to connect on.
Just guarded, anti-social, borderline autistic write ups. I can only imagine what their cover letters on job applications are like.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,904 times
They're only insufferable if they're your friends and all they do is complain about being single and then they commit all the red flags you told them not to do because that drives people away, like being too desperate.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune_It_Lower View Post
Yeah, that's tip of the iceberg, but more-or-less. Complaints, demands, snide attitudes, assumptions about the reader, unwelcoming communication styles abound... too often contained in profiles telling me nothing of themselves. Nothing to connect on.
Just guarded, anti-social, borderline autistic write ups. I can only imagine what their cover letters on job applications are like.
A lot of people write "If you want to know more message me" and I find that insufferable. You already barely told me anything and now you want ME to message YOU and waste my own time? Nope.

I imagine girls get away with this more than guys since a lot of guys on OLD just look at the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships