Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beweirdess View Post
Way to encourage someone who's trying to make a change for themselves! You telling her she lacks self esteem is not like discovering America- I'm sure she knows that already and is looking for some way to start doing something about it. How about throwing some useful/supportive to say?
He might've been harsh but he's right. If a woman doesn't like herself how can she expect a man to like her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM

61,742 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy1629 View Post
I have to exercise more and eat healthier. I know that no man will look at me till I am at a perfect figure
You should change from I HAVE to I AM...
If you think you need to exercise more, lose weight, and eat healthier - do it for you, for your own benefit.
You need to like you more, to love you more. You need to feel comfortable with yourself.
And you don't need to be perfect - not for yourself, or anyone else.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Now that attitude is sexy!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,278,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beweirdess View Post
Way to encourage someone who's trying to make a change for themselves! You telling her she lacks self esteem is not like discovering America- I'm sure she knows that already and is looking for some way to start doing something about it. How about throwing some useful/supportive to say?
It takes more than a pat on the back and telling her whatever she wants to hear to help her. This is a common problem among women, especially younger girls. I was one of them. I didn't need to lose weight but I had always been the skinny minnie among my peers. Growing up, I had been told how ugly I was, called names like the walking stick, told there was something wrong with me, etc. Boys didn't give me any time of the day - there were other girls my age who fit the "perfect" body type. I also had others who complimented me and gave me encouragement. Those compliments were not enough to convince me why I wasn't asked out on a date.

Then one day, I realized that's okay.

I was able to build my self esteem back up because I accepted that you cannot live life based on what other people think of you.

That was twenty years ago. Once I started to care what I think of myself, I didn't have problems getting asked out on dates. Men do not want to be used as the crutch for your confidence. Be strong in the mind, be healthy in the body and have positive thoughts. Good things will come.

And yes, get a dog or a cat. Studies have proven pets help you build confidence and dig you out of depression.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
I have to exercise more and eat healthier. I know that no man will look at me till I am at a perfect figure
That is not true. But if you are grotesquely fat or clearly overweight in an excessive and unhealthy way, then that is not men's fault for steering clear of that.

Get a bike. Become a bike riding fanatic. It is fun, it gets you outdoors, and if you work hard over time to increase your mileage (at least 3 times a week), the fat will come off. It will.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 833,502 times
Tammy1629: Make ANY changes in your weight, body, health, etc., for YOURSELF! You must not make your happiness & sense worth dependent on the "love" of ANY man (or woman) ! (please tell me that you are aware that there are PLENTY of unhappy thinner folk)

Old 09-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times
I think this topic comes up on City Data so much, because there are chubby people that have higher standards for a mate than they have for themselves. OP, lower your sites on someone chubby like yourself, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, lose the weight and quit whining.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I think this topic comes up on City Data so much, because there are chubby people that have higher standards for a mate than they have for themselves. OP, lower your sites on someone chubby like yourself, and you'll be fine. Otherwise, lose the weight and quit whining.
As a chubby person, I find that it is rare fellow "chubby" people are interested in me. Usually it is slim or athletic people. Maybe it is just me!

But it definitely helps to actually believe in your self, and develop a high self-esteem independent of how people perceive you!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:30 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
What do you have to offer a partner besides your body?

Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
Quote:
The good news is you're wrong. I'm proof of that: I prefer overweight women. The bad news for you is I'm already married! But there are a lot like me out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships