Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,801,311 times

Advertisements

People don't take it seriously when they go on there. I have met some decent people on there but most just wanted FWBs. Most will just ghost on you. It's kind of dumb after a while and seems to be a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I also never know at what point to ask for a woman's number or how many email exchanges before you ask to meet up. If you ask too early, they think you're coming on too strong, but if you wait too long, things fade out.

you don't ask. You just give them your number first.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:09 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,172,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
People don't take it seriously when they go on there. I have met some decent people on there but most just wanted FWBs. Most will just ghost on you. It's kind of dumb after a while and seems to be a waste of time.
That's why I just canceled my account a couple days ago. Hopefully I'll find the right guy eventually.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,941,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
you don't ask. You just give them your number first.
That is true....it usually always works out that I give my number first, but I'm wondering how many messages do most guys exchange before giving out there number? I've had a couple women I talked to where things seemed to be going well in the first few messages, and then I'll give my number and don't hear back. It seems like after a few messages may be too soon, but if you just keep messaging too long, I find things to fade out quickly.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,146,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I also never know at what point to ask for a woman's number or how many email exchanges before you ask to meet up. If you ask too early, they think you're coming on too strong, but if you wait too long, things fade out.

I advise not asking for their number at all. That exchange happens, if it happens, after you've already made a date/meeting (it is something that is sent prior to the actual meeting "in case something comes up", its been years since I actually talked to a woman on the phone before meeting her... and that rarely served any purpose). That can happen anywhere from the second to fifth message. People that are sincere, really want to meet in person, fast. If they're busy make the meeting for a week away and then continue to chat, but don't hold off in making a plan to meet.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:05 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,526,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'm about at that stage of being burned out. I'm losing the optimism I once had that OLD could be an option. I haven't tried eHarmony for a while, but the last time I tried it the experience was awful. I heard they got a way around all the silly questionnaires though. I had a hard time finding anyone real and local to talk to.

I wonder where the hell eligible ladies are looking for a man. The only place I can think of is the damn bar. The place where any half decent looking lady is literally surrounded by men looking to get laid.
I forgot where I read the article, but the article I'm recalling was about some NYC area women complaining about meeting men--as in they weren't meeting any. Where were they frequenting? Gay bars. Yeah, where every straight guy hangs out on a nightly basis.

In recent months, there’s been an uptick in straight girls flooding New York City’s gay bars.Should straight women go to gay bars? A drag queen reports on the lady invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Here is my philosophy on OLD. First pick a pay site because people that pay nothing tend not to be as serious. I had fabulous luck on eHarmony. It takes a little more time and effort but that's a good thing because the people are more motivated. If you are willing to spend $20 or so and a bunch of time filing out questionnaires it improves your chances of finding a like minded individual. Also just respond to your conversations and don't get your hopes up. If you get your hopes up every time someone contacts you or visa versa you will go crazy and soon burn out from the emotional highs and lows.
Well, most folks shuffle between both the major free sites and Match. Explain your rationale.

EHarmony, as I've found research pointing out in past posts, is about 95% likely to be nothing more than a ~$200 questionnaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I do. 5 facts about online dating | Pew Research Center

Look at Fact #5. That's what I based my first statement on.
I'm surprised anyone can actually question that. Most folks do not meet using OLD and most that do probably aren't universally highly regarded, anyway. Whatever works for you, though. I wouldn't bet the house on them lasting too long. Now, point #1 about OLD being truly accepted....yeah, I'll believe that when I can't remember the last woman's headline that says "Let's lie about how we met!" or the last "Just ask" for a profile body. Yeah, that's really showing acceptance of OLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships