Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:18 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,169,401 times

Advertisements

I've tried POF (Plenty of Fish) recently and it has gotten me no results. It's full of either men I'm not attracted to or guys that only want casual dates and to have fun but nothing serious.

A while back, some guy kept insisting on coming to his place to get together. As soon as I said nope, that I just wanted to hang out and return home, he ghosted out on me and never heard from him since. Now another man ghosted out on me; I haven't heard from him for days now (he used to respond right away). I'm not sure if it's the dating site that's negative or I must be doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,474,206 times
No, and they never were good places for it. When people meet through offline means, they are more likely to have a longer lasting relationship. The most common outcome from online sites/apps is a one & done (one date, no sex, no future interaction).

Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,381,919 times
They work for some. They worked for me at different times throughout my dating adventures. I met a lot of people from OKC and PoF, but had far better matches on OKC, and preferred OKC to all other sites. There's a lot of overlap between the main sites, so it really comes down to what the site has to offer in terms of finding compatible matches.

It worked for me when I was dating more casual, and when I wanted something more serious.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:30 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,214,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
When people meet through offline means, they are more likely to have a longer lasting relationship.
I will accept this as fact even though I am sure there is no actual data to support this claim.

The flaw in your reasoning is that one is exposed to an order of magnitude more members of the opposite sex via online dating than one meets offline.

I would suggest OP try a pay site like Match or eharmony. If that does not work for her, then the problem is her given there are far more men OLD then women

Old 10-24-2015, 09:40 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,046,934 times
Met 61 guys online. Not a one was a keeper.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,416,550 times
Nope.

Most women on there are just there for the ego boost and validation. They probably sit around with their friends laughing at all the lames that message them.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,224,053 times
Quote:
No, and they never were good places for it. When people meet through offline means, they are more likely to have a longer lasting relationship. The most common outcome from online sites/apps is a one & done (one date, no sex, no future interaction).
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Old 10-24-2015, 10:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,474,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Do you have any evidence to back this up?
I do. 5 facts about online dating | Pew Research Center

Look at Fact #5. That's what I based my first statement on.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,927 times
Quote:
This was my first thought after reading the title of the thread: were OLD sites ever good places to seek a relationship?

They're certainly effective in providing access to people you wouldn't otherwise have access to (and exposure if you end up seeing them in person).

The final sentence in the post above has been consistent with my experience as well. I'd estimate 90%+ of my OLD dates were one and done. I doubt I even had interest in seeing 50% of the girls I went on one date with again (probably more like a quarter), but haven't had the best of luck this year with the girls that I did ask to see again.

One frustration is that OLD actually becomes quite annoying/frustrating/time consuming after any sort of novelty wears off (which happens fast). It also does add up financially if you do it long enough (though I still suggest dinner over coffee) -- subscription fees, travel, food/drinks, etc.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:23 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,381,919 times
I had many dozens of one-and-done dates. That's the nature of dating, not just the online medium. But I've also had a lot of dates that weren't one-and-done, and a few relationships that came as a result of meeting online.

A lot of my friends met their SOs online as well. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships