Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:05 PM

282 posts, read 219,606 times

Advertisements

I am married now coz of it. Success for me. But that's after 2 years of GRUELING experience to my bajillion mostly first time meets.

Had a lot of free meal and drinks out of it. All in all was a nice experience. Didn't know I am capable of being a serial dater. Now I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:36 PM

208 posts, read 170,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
No, and they never were good places for it. When people meet through offline means, they are more likely to have a longer lasting relationship. The most common outcome from online sites/apps is a one & done (one date, no sex, no future interaction).
I beg to differ. Met my hubby online, actually on POF, and we are going on 4 wonderful years of marriage. Online is just another option to meet and connect with people. It does not guarantee failure, and it does not guarantee success. Just like in life, it depends on the person you meet, and if you guys are COMPATIBLE. I've met other couples like us who met online and have successful and happy marriages. I've met other individuals who have not been as lucky. If it's not working out for you, stay open and positive, and try other venues!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:55 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,348,905 times
I've met 3 women on OLD sites, 1 of whom I'm still friends with (even after a brief fling; another with whom I had an actual relationship (until she got flaky on me); the third we met for lunch but there was no chemistry so, obviously, no 2nd date.

OLD is a major crapshoot - you may, or may not, find someone. As I mentioned in another thread, I think that too many women on the sites are looking for Brad Pitt-types. Or guys with $$$$. One site I was on, some woman had the audacity to put in her profile: "Ugly men need not apply!" I so wanted to lambaste her, but I let it go. Incidentally, she was no beauty queen herself!
POF, OKC, Match.com, even Zoosk...you take your risks!

Old 10-24-2015, 10:23 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,346 times
I think I'm going to take a break from that site. The only time I ever form a relationship was with my then long ago bf (the only one) through then MySpace.com way back in 2006. The relationship ended long ago and I guess I tried online again on POF, hoping I would run into that same luck of once again forming a relationship but nope.

For those that got into a relationship and/or got married that way, I guess it was luck.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:31 PM

61,859 posts, read 87,339,575 times
Quote:
Are dating sites still good places to seek a relationship?
I doubt it ( there are few exceptions, though). Many of our members tried them without success. Their are still single AND looking. You can read on this forum their endless complaints about various dating sites ...

Old 10-25-2015, 12:07 AM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I met a great man on Match and I married him a week ago today.
That first pic in your profile of you guys ...... you in the wedding dress and the way you guys are holding hands...... it's a moving pic..... got sort of taken back and a little choked up over that pic.

Awesome......

Glad to see it... gives me hope... sometimes you get a little bit burnt out here reading the negativity.....

Old 10-25-2015, 01:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,227,304 times
OLD is just another way of meeting someone. It gives you more opportunities to meet people you otherwise might never have met. It's a bit hit & miss so make sure to take some timeout when feeling a bit burnt out.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,740 times
OP, you need to be patient and stand your ground. Not all guys on there are flakes.

When you say you're not attracted to the guys on POF, is that from your own search results? or are you basing that on guys who message you?

How do you know you're not attracted if you don't give them a chance with a date? Sometimes attraction develops after you meet in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Met 61 guys online. Not a one was a keeper.
what were some of their worst qualities?

or were they just too ugly?

Old 10-25-2015, 02:51 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Just my opinion......

50% of the women on these sites are not even remotely serious about it. They're there to window shop, get some attention, maybe flirt around a bit. Reality check: Face it. Women like to go shopping. Male chauvinistic pig hat coming off now.....

25% of the women are recently divorced or are going through a breakup. Danger zone. Be prepared to listen to how terrible their ex-husbands/boyfriends are, and don't get emotionally attached. Half of these women will be sleeping with their "ex" partners within days of meeting you in person. Doubly dangerous when one has to deal with these "ex" partners directly.

24% are technically "ready" to start something new & meaningful. But, there's an issue here. You see, these gals have a criteria list that is almost impossible to fulfill. Be prepared to be compared.........so even though one doesn't fit their criteria to a "T", if one is kind, good looking, and respectful enough....then they'll continue to allow one to take them out to dinner. These are the 2-3 dates gals.

1% will be a match. Now we're approaching unicorn territory.

right on. nailed it. bingo. winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I think that too many women on the sites are looking for Brad Pitt-types. Or guys with $$$$. One site I was on, some woman had the audacity to put in her profile: "Ugly men need not apply!" I so wanted to lambaste her, but I let it go. Incidentally, she was no beauty queen herself!
POF, OKC, Match.com, even Zoosk...you take your risks!

This is why you have to settle for the 30+ y.o's. They're usually more mature in their outlook, and they know their clocks are ticking, so they shorten their list of must-haves

Old 10-25-2015, 07:05 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
what were some of their worst qualities?

or were they just too ugly?
If I don't find him at average or slightly above average then I don't talk to him. Some of them were just ugly for my likes and several that were attractive, I had to block as soon as finding out they only wanted hook-ups and were already talking about meeting them at their place, in a hotels and bringing drinks.

I definitely don't want to just settle because that's all I can find. That would be like an ''Oh well, I wanted the red sparkling shoes but it's ok, I'll take the simple, brown shoes''. Nope, it's not ok. As soon as you settle for less, that other stuff is just your fool's consolation and a defense mechanism. Deep down, you're probably not feeling ok anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships