Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

I have been married since March 2015 and my husband has a food truck. It's pretty much been his dream to have one and he spent 4 years working in food places and learning how to do it so he could get his own truck. This was his first year having the truck and its been cool because we put it on twitter and fb, Instagram and over the summer his truck got some attention online and its been successful.

The problem is that he makes me help him and I'm really miserable. I graduated high school last year and I barely see my friends anymore, I just catch up with them online and fb. We start preparing everything EARLY and even after there are no more people and customers we still have to wipe everything down and clean and then there is the ordering the stuff he needs to cook... It's never stop!

Another thing is that at first he was just doing ice cream and when that was over he said it was just seasonal.. Well that was the summer since that's when iuce cream is popular but now he has moved on to actual food and I hate it because I feel like we are in the truck more than we are at home.

I try to stay home but he makes me go because he needs the extra help since the lines can get long. Every time I tell him to hire someone new he gets really annoyed and that starts a fight. But these past few months have not been then happiest I have been soooo depressed and I feel so shut in I just want to take a day off or for us to spend time together not on the truck. We didn't even do a honeymoon because at that time the truck was getting painted and he wanted to stick around and see it getting done in person.

Plus working on it all day just makes me tired. I try to talk to him about it but he gets mad when I do. I just need advice on what to say plus how to work on our relationship. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 12:59 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,832 times
You were too young to get married in the first place. Yikes.

Your husband started a new business. Time to be an adult and support him. You wanted the adult life but now you want to quit work and go have fun. That's what happens when you try to grow up too fast.

I know plenty of people who got married young, but they knew what it was and worked at it. They didn't whine because they had to work or their husbands had to work. You knew what this was going in.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
^^^ This. Welcome to adulthood. You are a married woman now, not a teen wanting nothing but Fun, Friends & Facebook...

Old 11-12-2015, 01:22 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Work is part of life. Your husband is not wrong to ask you to work, and judging by what you say it sounds like he is a hard worker and very driven. You are lucky to have someone like that, and you should chip in. If his endeavor is successful and it grows into more you will reap the benefits down the road. I married young too, it can be hard but I believe its worth it. I would not trade any of my married years for nothing.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 AM

906 posts, read 712,810 times
Well, Im sorry. I wish I could help. Ok no offense, but I dont think you should be forced to work for him at all. Maybe the finances say differently, but with me, a wife shouldn't be forced to work. So, I feel bad. I dont know why anyone would marry.a girl only for her to need to work. The way I see it, if you're not able to provide for a family..you shouldn't be having a family.

Personally, if my wife needed to work Id consider it a huge failure on my part.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Well boohooo, Little Missy how do expect to go through life without working?

You wouldn't have shaved Hawaiian ice or pistachio nut ice cream on the truck, would you?

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 11-12-2015 at 02:15 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Well, Im sorry. I wish I could help. Ok no offense, but I dont think you should be forced to work for him at all. Maybe the finances say differently, but with me, a wife shouldn't be forced to work. So, I feel bad. I dont know why anyone would marry.a girl only for her to need to work. The way I see it, if you're not able to provide for a family..you shouldn't be having a family.

Personally, if my wife needed to work Id consider it a huge failure on my part.

I know very few people who have wives who do not work. It takes a really good job to have a stay at home wife in 2015. Jobs that most men can get today pay nothing like the jobs of 30-40 years ago, hence we have the two income family being the new norm. The days of Ward Clever heading off to work and leaving June and the Beaver at home are long over. Im not saying things weren't better back then because they were. However the economic reality of today means two go to work in most families. This is especially true of young families like the OP is part of. I appreciate the old fashioned values you espouse and I wish the world were still like that. Unless you live in a wealthy enclave and have a power income its just not reality for most of us these days.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkledove View Post
The problem is that he makes me help him
Not sure what you mean by "make" here. Is he holding a gun to your head? Have you attempted to say "Well it was fun to help you set this up and pursue YOUR dream - but now it is time for you to hire someone so I can pursue MY dream now"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkledove View Post
Every time I tell him to hire someone new he gets really annoyed and that starts a fight.
This is what is known as emotional abuse. You are being emotionally abused here. Step 1 is to recognise that. Step 2 is to do something about it. It is not you that needs to "work on the relationship" because what you describe is not a "relationship" in the first place. It is control through emotional abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Your husband started a new business. Time to be an adult and support him.
Who says she is not supporting him? She does not want to WORK for him. That does not mean she is not supporting him or supportive of him. If your partner starts a business - you are not obliged to work in that business yourself. At all. She supported him - above and beyond the call of duty - by working hard to help him get the business up and running and off the ground. But she has EVERY right now to ask that he now hire someone while she proceed with pursuing HER dreams in life - and it is HIS place now to be as supportive of her in this - as she was of him in his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Welcome to adulthood. You are a married woman now, not a teen wanting nothing but Fun, Friends & Facebook...
Where did the OP express any such desire or intention? You have merely pulled this out of thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Well boohooo, Little Missy how do expect to go through life without working?
Where did the OP express any such idea? You too have simply pulled this out of an orifice not normally associated with communication. Saying "I do not want to work for him" is not the same as saying "I do not want to work".

Old 11-12-2015, 04:02 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Well, this could be an awesome job for two people who love one another.

I suppose it can be stressful but the OP is still a kid.

You better grow up fast and start being a good wife.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You better grow up fast and start being a good wife.
She is. She put her own life on hold to help him pursue his dream - and to support him in setting up his own business. You do not get much better a partner than that. And it is unclear what else you feel is required or lacking there.

Now it is HIS turn to be a good husband - and help facilitate her in pursuing what it is she wants to do with her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships