Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:06 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

It seems like we both endure each others family events. It's getting harder and harder for each of us to face our families alone... I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

First world problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,072 times
Poetic justice would be for Sister and her husband to jointly extend their "regrets" and enjoy the day in a more convivial setting away from these strident demands.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:15 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
Occasionally, neither of us really, really want to do the family holiday ordeal, but we do. You know, the holidays are not about YOU. It's about putting your best foot forward and trying to spend a little quality time with friends and family. Some of them care.

My husband bows out of plenty of social obligations, but if it's important to me, he does his part. I do the same.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Occasionally, neither of us really, really want to do the family holiday ordeal, but we do. You know, the holidays are not about YOU. It's about putting your best foot forward and trying to spend a little quality time with friends and family. Some of them care.

My husband bows out of plenty of social obligations, but if it's important to me, he does his part. I do the same.
Mrs. Chow and me are both pretty quiet introverted types and I try to bow out of as many social obligations as I can get away with and throw her under the bus for "social interactions"

LOL, tough, women are sort expected to deal with the social calendaring.... Just like I still have to take out the garbage in the house...our old outdated social customs still apply here.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
You guys are being trolled hard lol. This is a previous poster with a new name. He has asked this same question before.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
The reason I ask this is my sister's husband has not attended either the Thanksgiving or Christmas events for three years now.

So.. if your spouse did this for three years, would you divorce them?
Quote:
I suspect that the extended families of the person whose spouse does not show up laughs about them behind their back, just like I do.
Quote:
I and the rest of the extended family told my sister in no uncertain way that her husband must attend next time. She was more upset with him than our forward and aggressive demands.
These posts are painting a very clear picture for me. I don't know whether to laugh or cringe.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You guys are being trolled hard lol. This is a previous poster with a new name. He has asked this same question before.
I figure most of these "advice" posters who set out ridiculous and outlandish positions and scenarios are confabulation -- but they are fun!

And somebody somewhere needs to read our various opinions.

Young people get little enough 'old school' adult behaviour guidance these days.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I really don't think he knows he's trolling. I believe he seriously thinks this stuff and is earnest with his questions.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
I suspect that the extended families of the person whose spouse does not show up laughs about them behind their back, just like I do.
Classy.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
If I could see that my spouse was miserable at a particular family function, I would find a way to give him a pass on it once in a while. OR i would find a way to make it more bearable for him. Like: send him out on an 'errand', give him a task he could be occupied with, or plan an activity he enjoys.

I had a SIL who made little effort to hide how uncomfortable she was with our inlaws. No one missed her when she left the family. I do think she had significant anxiety issues, and I wish I had approached her differently. But IMHO if you are not comfortable with your inlaws, your spouse has to be the buffer, and you need to work as a team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships