Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,220 times

Advertisements

Guys, if you wanted to approach a woman (wherever, not necessarily a bar) and ask her out/get her phone number (im not talking about online, but offline),and she gives you the "Im old enough to be your mother" or some similar response, does it 'hurt' you to hear that? How would you react/how have you reacted? If you really wanted to pursue her, would that comment make you back down?

I am in my 26 and have often noticed myself to be attracted to women old enough to be my mom (I know...no rude comments please) and I know I would get that kinda reaction when apporaching these women so I wanted to know from other men how they deal. I find it easier to talk to them and they stimulate my mind more, although, there is nothing wrong with women my age, except I just dont find 20-somethings that attractive, physically or emotionally, anymore..I wish I could. Its hard going against the grain of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,745 times
Do what you want to do, and don't care what anybody else thinks.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
Guys, if you wanted to approach a woman (wherever, not necessarily a bar) and ask her out/get her phone number (im not talking about online, but offline),and she gives you the "Im old enough to be your mother"

Tell her you want a raise in your allowance.

Honestly, why should it hurt, you don't know her? Besides, not many women are willing to just give out their number that easily. Talk them up, get to know them a little. Eventually you'll find one who is looking for a younger man. There are plenty of cougars...ahem...older women out there who would be happy to befriend a younger man.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
Quote:
Guys, if you wanted to approach a woman (wherever, not necessarily a bar) and ask her out/get her phone number (im not talking about online, but offline),and she gives you the "Im old enough to be your mother" or some similar response, does it 'hurt' you to hear that? How would you react/how have you reacted? If you really wanted to pursue her, would that comment make you back down?

I am in my 26 and have often noticed myself to be attracted to women old enough to be my mom (I know...no rude comments please) and I know I would get that kinda reaction when apporaching these women so I wanted to know from other men how they deal. I find it easier to talk to them and they stimulate my mind more, although, there is nothing wrong with women my age, except I just dont find 20-somethings that attractive, physically or emotionally, anymore..I wish I could. Its hard going against the grain of society.
I was asked to be at a party with a bunch of young people from 16 to the mid twenties. I was "The Parent."

Well, I was in the kitchen with a couple of friends while the young people were in the livingroom. Then a young lady came in the kitchen...her friend followed her and said, "Oh, you are in here with the "Grown Ups."

Yeah, that hurt. I don't want to be the old person of the group.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Guys, if you wanted to approach a woman (wherever, not necessarily a bar) and ask her out/get her phone number (im not talking about online, but offline),and she gives you the "Im old enough to be your mother" or some similar response, does it 'hurt' you to hear that?
I suppose it's all in the tone, but no, not necessarily - it is a matter of fact that she's old enough, or not.

Quote:
How would you react/how have you reacted?
I'd hit on someone closer to my age.

Quote:
I'd imagine you're facing bigger obstacles than just 'society' here, but good luck with that.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

421 posts, read 2,533,756 times
Haha, can't stop thinking of the scene in Animal House where the one frat brother is in the supermarket and happens to run into the Dean's wife. "My cucumber is bigger than your Cucumber." Doubtful! Haha, too funny, and he ends up getting her anyhow, great scene! Nothing wrong with someone alittle older, if anything, it'll make the women your own age alittle jealous too.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Quote:

I know this is for the guys but as an "older woman" who does often get approached by younger men, I have to say that the times it's happened, I never gave the old, "I'm old enough to be your mother", instead I let them guess how old I was and then went from there. I used to think it was great when younger guys would ask me out and it's not offensive at all and I think it's great when younger guys are attracted to older women. Good for you!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
If an older woman says that to you, then she's never seriously contemplated dating a man your age. In that case, go slow and work on the friendship and common interest aspects first. Find out what activities she likes to do, then see if she'd be interested in doing one of them with you. Maybe she enjoys jazz music or visiting art museums and galleries. Find a reason to meet up with her at the entrance of the event. Firm up the details and say "it's a date then."

Also, if an older woman says that to you, she is very aware of the age gap. Make sure that you don't do anything with her that might embarrass her. Not all older woman take cougar comments as a compliment. She most likely doesn't want a boy toy, so if you do become friends with her, be good non-sexual friend company also so that her friends won't make fun of her relationship with you.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 AM

819 posts, read 1,591,966 times
My best response to a young one hitting on me is "I've got underwear older than you are." Doesn't happen a lot nowadays - but those were the days! There was, however, one that wanted to take me home for his daddy. That was clasic.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
You need to think about several years down the line and whether it would be fair to either one of you (an older woman you become involved with) if you become seriously involved and then marry. Which is a possibility whenever any two people start anything. Think about the possibility of one day regretting the twice as wrinkled face you are waking up to every morning.

It would be great to think that that will not matter to you. If you were a woman, I'd say it would matter a lot less, but you are a man. You are sight driven. And even emotional stimulation will not help if the spark goes out in that all important area. Don't lie to yourself.

I'd say look for the needle in the haystack. Try an online dating service like E-Harmony to look for women closer to your age, with like interests. They may be special and rare, but they are out there my friend. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships