Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 11:26 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Yes, and no. Promotions are rarely given purely for technical skill. True, one can't be completely incompetent, but being affable and pleasant is generally more important than being knowledgeable, skilled or hard-working. I say this not as a disgruntled employee, but as one of the persons who makes recommendations and evaluations for promotion.

?

I ran across a study about that once, it was a real eye opener.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2016, 11:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,057,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The ONLY people I see saying that on this or any other place is guys who use that as an excuse for why they cannot find someone.
Or the guys that cry that "feminism" is evil, women going back to work has ruined society, why isn't it like it was in the 50s any more, women are promiscuous and those women should be used while the "good" women who don't put out are the potential marriage partners...then the men find such a backward incapable helpless woman, marry her...and the woman demands that the man be the supporter and during the divorce, rapes the dude for every penny of child support and alimony she can since she "can't" get a job, the man is supposed to do that.

Well no freakin' kidding. Demand a 50s girl, you and your lack of long term relationship skills will earn you a 50s divorce.

That's a surprise?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:39 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
The hate came from the same place it was coming from.
It was the "Every man is a rapist" variety of feminism (third and fourth wave sects) that trigger the onset of what the MGTOW to become what it is most commonly now.
I have never, ever seen this. Anywhere.

Quote:
What you and most would identify as MGTOW is nothing more than an answer to the same behavior. It is filled with hate and prejudice because that was what it was born form. The is also probably why it has taken the moniker of MGTOW and not simply men's rights. It's less about make rights and more about the reaction makes should have towards an equally movement not actually being about equality, but blame and keeping score.

While I agree putting people in boxes isnt what we need to be doing, that is our reality...peolle want to be in boxes so they can feel different and have validation for how they feel. They want something to identify with so they know the rules they can live by.
Reality is what we choose it to be.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:43 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,469,543 times
Quote:
I truly confess to not reading the material I saw online. The website by the same acronym is so childish in its presentation that it was worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. But I can read what is posted here. I am all for men's rights. As I mentioned, the one place that it seems to still be an issue is in custody disputes in some states. That is wrong. And we have the obligation to do what we can to right that. But what other men's rights are being violated, I just don't see.

I am a product of feminism. My Dad was the strongest one of the bunch. His sons and daughters all did chores, all the chores, from housework to wood cutting and splitting. What this radical and extreme feminism that I am supposed to be seeing in the media, I just don't see. There were 2 somewhat recent news reports having anything to do with gender. One was someone asking Sanders about HC's dress designer. Sander's answer was awesome. No one asks me about my suit designer. When you ask me a serious question about HC, I will answer it.

The other was on pay inequality. I can't think of what is radical or extreme about getting paid differently because of the genitals you are sporting. The interesting remedy that was put forward was to teach people (not just women because men were found to be no better at this) to negotiate at hire time, the time when they have leverage. My Daddy taught me that when I was 12.

When I look at this board, I don't see a lot of categorization of what men are. They are not put in a box with a label describing what they are and how bad that makes them. Women are. Once upon a time, women had to live in the box. The box of weakness, emotiveness, ineffectuality, requiring a man to guide and lead. I have never fit in that box. And thankfully, I don't have to. And there are men who see the change and say, yeah they really never needed a box. They are people with their own characteristics, just like anyone, subject to their nature, their rearing.

There is really only one reason to try to keep a group in a box. So that you can continue to hate and vilify them, blame them for how THEY are responsible for whatever perceived problems that someone is having. Trump is VERY effective at this. Immigrants live in the box of ruining our economy. **** if you want those jobs, more power to you. And I would challenge someone to make the tax suck defense stick my actually looking at the federal budget. But Trump does not need facts when he has them in a box. We can fear the category in the box. He does it equally effectively with the evil Muslims. Forget the fact that in this country, terrorism is hugely home grown and is more likely to be the result of christian extremism than Muslim, it does not matter. The Muslims are in the box, where we are safe to hate and fear them.

To the degree that the Trump's of the world can affect actual policy, the box is scary. To the sad dudes who have women in their mental box, less so since they don't have the power to change anything on any scale. All they have the power to do is hate people locally and usually ineffectively. Their hate hurts no one but themselves.
The hate came from the same place it was coming from.
It was the "Every man is a rapist" variety of feminism (third and fourth wave sects) that trigger the onset of what the MGTOW to become what it is most commonly now.

What you and most would identify as MGTOW is nothing more than an answer to the same behavior. It is filled with hate and prejudice because that was what it was born out from. This is also probably why it has taken the moniker of MGTOW and not simply men's rights. It's less about male rights and more about the reaction males have towards an equally movement not actually being about "just" equality anymore.

While I agree putting people in boxes isnt what we need to be doing, that is our reality...people want to be in and like being in boxes so they can feel a sense of security and community and have validation for how they feel. They want something to identify with so they know their feelings are valid...even if those feelings are misguided or "bad"

The only "box" people hate being in is those they didn't put themsleves in.

Third wave feminism has triggered a lot of change in things and none of it has been all that good becuase it in itself hasn't been great for gender "equality"

I'm not attempting to use this as an excuse to justify morons being morons, they are morons. It is what it is.

Last edited by rego00123; 02-13-2016 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Phone hates me

Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,058,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Or the guys that cry that "feminism" is evil, women going back to work has ruined society, why isn't it like it was in the 50s any more, women are promiscuous and those women should be used while the "good" women who don't put out are the potential marriage partners...then the men find such a backward incapable helpless woman, marry her...and the woman demands that the man be the supporter and during the divorce, rapes the dude for every penny of child support and alimony she can since she "can't" get a job, the man is supposed to do that.

Well no freakin' kidding. Demand a 50s girl, you and your lack of long term relationship skills will earn you a 50s divorce.

That's a surprise?
Divorce was illegal in the 50s. I would love to actually go back to that time, but that's not possible so I have to make due with the options that exist today (none of which are particularly good).

Old 02-13-2016, 11:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,050,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Divorce was illegal in the 50s. I would love to actually go back to that time, but that's not possible so I have to make due with the options that exist today (none of which are particularly good).
Your life was better in the 1950s than it is now? How so?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,058,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Your life was better in the 1950s than it is now? How so?
I wasn't alive in the 1950s, but I've heard good things:

- More jobs
- Only the man needs to work
- Women stay home and cook/clean
- Women didn't cheat
- No divorce
- Retire with a pension after 20 years

How was life not better?

Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
I wasn't alive in the 1950s, but I've heard good things:

- More jobs
- Only the man needs to work
I want to work.
Quote:
- Women stay home and cook/clean
I don't want to stay home and cook/clean. Oh wait. What I want is not important. Woman.
Quote:
- Women didn't cheat
But men did.

Quote:
- No divorce
Because they were FORCED to stay together. Joy!

Quote:
- Retire with a pension after 20 years

How was life not better?
20 years! Then there were company towns and all sorts of other fun stuff. Huh.

21,192 posts, read 25,204,974 times
Quote:
It was illegal? Are you sure about that?

8,779 posts, read 9,469,543 times
Quote:
I have never, ever seen this. Anywhere.

Reality is what we choose it to be.
You would be best to actually subscribe and read what is out their instead of using definitions for what is. Their is so much misrepresentation happening that it is slowly undoing the good that has been achieved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships