Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM

930 posts, read 700,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
2k a month, jeez, We bought our condo about 15 yrs ago and have since refi'd and brought the payment down some, man, we should be thankful for our situation. The difference between other parts of the country and so cal is that so cal is car country, don't know if you've ever been out this way, but it's really hard to make it here without having wheels. Locals here will get what I'm saying. Public transport here sucks and isn't as good as it should be, plus everything is just spread out far and wide.

I'd love to live and be able to get by without having to buy a car. I'm in the market right now to buy one and it sucks to be honest.

In terms of dating women with roommates, screw that noise, I'm not 50 yet, but at my age roommates means broke and I'm not down with some broke ass woman. She doesn't have to be a baller, but have your own place at least. I'm not down with worrying about all that goes with having other people in the house, I think you spelled it out nicely further up thread.

It's all relative. DC has been expensive for awhile, just like NYC and SF. Incomes in those regions usually reflect that. Where the struggle is real are in parts of the country that are rapidly growing and COL has far exceeded incomes. I live in Denver, and that's exactly what's going on here. We're reaching East and West Coast COL, and our salaries have not really went up much at all. I think the average 1-BR here in Denver is hovering around $1600/mo, while the median household income is somewhere around $60k/yr. The median household income in DC is $90k/yr for comparison's sake.

That's why it's fairly common to live with roommates in your younger professional years, especially if you want to live closer to the city as most young professionals do for access to entertainment and higher-paying jobs. That's why I don't hold it against young professionals here that have roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Nj

Lot of you seem to be missing the point. Shouldn't women (and some men) ,be less judgemental about this in at least 1/3rd of the 50 largest Metro Areas in America due to housing prices and rents?
I'm actually not really being judgmental as whatever works for each person as someone else said the financial benefits of having a roommate out weighed the cons for them.

I'm just at a point in my life for me personally that if I were to be single I just wouldn't want to deal with dating a woman and her not having her own place. I get that it's expensive and I was just on forrent.com and was shocked at some places in my city listing one bedrooms for 2200 plus dollars a month. I've been living in a cocoon for several yrs as I bought a place and one of the many benefits is that your rent doesn't increase yearly, but whatever, there's pro's and con's to either situation and I don't want to derail more than we already have.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Nj

Lot of you seem to be missing the point. Shouldn't women (and some men) ,be less judgemental about this in at least 1/3rd of the 50 largest Metro Areas in America due to housing prices and rents?
NO!

No one owes anyone a chance, much less when there is such a difference in day-to-day lifestyle.

Do some of you men really not understand a woman's desire for PRIVACY? Come on, now! Hell NO do we want your damn roommates up in our grill when we see you. We don't want your roommates barging in on us in the bathroom, hearing us have sex, seeing us with no make-up and no bra. We are not COMFORTABLE with that! Nor do we always want to be the ones hosting you, with you always eating our food and running up our utilities by being here all the time. Get over it already!

Jibbers Crabst!

Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
It's all relative. DC has been expensive for awhile, just like NYC and SF. Incomes in those regions usually reflect that. Where the struggle is real are in parts of the country that are rapidly growing and COL has far exceeded incomes. I live in Denver, and that's exactly what's going on here. We're reaching East and West Coast COL, and our salaries have not really went up much at all. I think the average 1-BR here in Denver is hovering around $1600/mo, while the median household income is somewhere around $60k/yr. The median household income in DC is $90k/yr for comparison's sake.

That's why it's fairly common to live with roommates in your younger professional years, especially if you want to live closer to the city as most young professionals do for access to entertainment and higher-paying jobs. That's why I don't hold it against young professionals here that have roommates.
What do you consider a young professional?

I would think that would be around 28. 35 is starting to push middle age. I'm 46 and I'm speaking as a guy that has made good money for 15 or 20 yrs now, I want a certain standard of living, dating a woman and worrying about other people in the house just smacks of college years and I'm done with that. I suppose I could date a woman with roommates, it's not a total deal breaker, but I have a feeling I wouldn't be going to her house and she'd be at mine.

But whatever, everyone's life siltation is different.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
NO!

No one owes anyone a chance, much less when there is such a difference in day-to-day lifestyle.

Do some of you men really not understand a woman's desire for PRIVACY? Come on, now! Hell NO do we want your damn roommates up in our grill when we see you. We don't want your roommates barging in on us in the bathroom, hearing us have sex, seeing us with no make-up and no bra. We are not COMFORTABLE with that! Nor do we always want to be the ones hosting you, with you always eating our food and running up our utilities by being here all the time. Get over it already!

Jibbers Crabst!
It sounds like you're generalizing. "We", "We", "We"... Stop that! I don't speak French!

My GF has two roommates that share a 3BR/2BA apartment and has always had roommates. I do not mind that she has roommates. She does not mind that I have a roommate, but I have a 2BR/2BA condo. If she moves in, my roommate/tenant will be moving out. But in the meantime, it is fine because we have our own private room and bathroom on the opposite side of the unit, and it keeps our costs down.

If you do not like roommates, fine. You're in the 40+ demographic, so it makes a little more sense IMO. The older you get, typically the more you want to be on your own. But this is a to each their own matter. Let's just not make this a sweeping generalization matter.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
What do you consider a young professional?

I would think that would be around 28. 35 is starting to push middle age. I'm 46 and I'm speaking as a guy that has made good money for 15 or 20 yrs now, I want a certain standard of living, dating a woman and worrying about other people in the house just smacks of college years and I'm done with that. I suppose I could date a woman with roommates, it's not a total deal breaker, but I have a feeling I wouldn't be going to her house and she'd be at mine.

But whatever, everyone's life siltation is different.
My definition for young professional would be early 20s-early 30s. I do think as you get older you do tend to desire more "alone" time. I have a roommate, but it's a choice. I bought my condo and decided that I'd take on a roommate (also a close friend) to help me re-build my savings and do some upgrades to the place. I was also taking him on to help him out, because he has been down on his luck as of late and wanted a place to stay closer to the city. I can afford my place on my own, but I have chosen to take him on as a roommate for mutually beneficial reasons.

I'm just grateful that my GF is much more understanding of this, which makes sense, because she's younger than I am and also has two roommates of her own. As she and I get older, having our own private place will likely be of higher importance.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
OP, there are some things people can do to make things easier for themselves in the dating world. Not doing these things isn't a death knell but will make it harder on you.

If you are this worried that no woman will date you because you have roommates or are living at home it's simple, move out.

Work and save up money so you can live on your own. Not doing this doesn't make dating impossible but it does make it harder.

I can tell you right now, arguing with people on a forum is not going to change their preferences so it's pointless to do so.

Not everyone is going to be attractive to everybody. Even if you had your ish together it doesn't mean that every woman you meet is going to be attracted to you.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
My definition for young professional would be early 20s-early 30s. I do think as you get older you do tend to desire more "alone" time. I have a roommate, but it's a choice. I bought my condo and decided that I'd take on a roommate (also a close friend) to help me re-build my savings and do some upgrades to the place. I was also taking him on to help him out, because he has been down on his luck as of late and wanted a place to stay closer to the city. I can afford my place on my own, but I have chosen to take him on as a roommate for mutually beneficial reasons.

I'm just grateful that my GF is much more understanding of this, which makes sense, because she's younger than I am and also has two roommates of her own.
I know it's pretty common for multiple roommates, but definitely screw that...LOL, having two other people to deal with, naw... not so much. One would be bad enough.

I think moving forward in the new economy we as a society are heading toward I think it's going to be more and more common to see roommates and probably less living alone.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I think moving forward in the new economy we as a society are heading toward I think it's going to be more and more common to see roommates and probably less living alone.
I think you're right. Sharing has become the new buzz word of this younger generation. Car sharing, house sharing, couch sharing...heck, people don't even buy their phones anymore. As someone who values the idea of owning private property, it unnerves me to think that the concept of ownership will only belong to the few elites, while everyone else will be renters for life not owning a single asset. But that's a discussion for another forum.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,349 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're generalizing. "We", "We", "We"...

My GF has two roommates that share a 3BR/2BA apartment and has always had roommates. I do not mind that she has roommates. She does not mind that I have a roommate, but I have a 2BR/2BA condo. If she moves in, my roommate/tenant will be moving out. But in the meantime, it is fine because it keeps our costs down.

If you do not like roommates, fine. You're in the 40+ demographic, so it makes a little more sense IMO. The older you get, typically the more you want to be on your own. But this is a to each their own matter. Let's just not make this a sweeping generalization matter.
Yeah, hi, this thread is about people over 35, not those just starting out.

And I will bet the rent that more women over 30 than not would NOT want to deal with a man's roommates. That is the whole point of this thread.

All else being equal, who do you think a woman that age is going to choose: The great guy who lives with roommates or the great guy who lives alone?

She's going to choose the one who lives alone. What can I tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships